cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best navigation app when towing a 5th wheel

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got a new pick up, it has the large display screen and has apple car play.
I would like to use a navigation app thru car play to display on the screen.
I see there are apps like Hammer or rv life that can do this does anyone have any experience using these apps?
I know navigation systems are not perfect. I have a Garmin rv 890 but I would rather use the display in the truck so I don't have to try and find a place for the Garmin.
Thanks for the help.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion
10 REPLIES 10

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
If you're especially tall, near, or at 13'6", Route 1 is a good database that can be added to almost all nav apps and standalone GPS units. Usually runs about $75 for all of N America, one time charge. Over 8,000 low clearances listed vs about 1,500 for most "trucker" or "RV" nav apps / devices.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation, but not all apps are compatible with CarPlay. I’d make sure whatever you are leaving to is, otherwise it won’t come up on your screen.

Personally I just use either Waze or Apple Maps. Sure it doesn’t warn about low overhangs, but I can only think of a small handful of apps laces where that is an issue and there are always ample warnings before you would reach that obstacle.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
“Waze” works for me - YOMV.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
The supplied gps with the vehicle, Google Maps, and Waze, do not allow input of height or weight so they are out when driving a RV. I have been looking at the possibilities and haven't made a decision yet. Some that I have seen are "Copilot Gps" "TruckMap" and "sygic". Now I can add "Smart Truck Route" to my list. I will be interested to know if anyone has first hand experience with any of these.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would stay with the Garmin as it allows inputing the height, weight, and length of you unit to halp keep you out of trouble. If you go with something else, make sure it gives you that ability.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like Smart Truck Route.

As the name implies, lets you plan travel along truck routes.

It is subscription based, but if you travel alot, I think it's worth it.

smartruckrouteDOTcom

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I always just use waze, it should come through on your dash display. At least it did on my 2020 f350 and my 2023 Mercedes sprinter. I find it's the most up to date navigation app because it uses real time alerts from other drivers.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

With all these suggestions - WAZE, Google maps, etc. if they don't warn about low bridges, low weight bridges, tunnels that ban trucks/RVs or propane then they are useless for RVs.

Not really, if you come to a low bridge or a weight restricted bridge, etc., you just go a different direction (bypass it) and the app will re-route you automatically. The same can be said for traffic jams, accidents, or construction delays, Waze and other similar free apps will re-route you to the fastest  route.
Most people probably are not going to be pulling a 15-ft high, 20,000 lbs toy hauler that would need more sophisticated information. In my 30 years of RVing I’ve never encountered a low bridge I couldn’t fit under or a weight restricted bridge I couldn’t go over. YOMV

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not use the one that came with your truck?? It works very well
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore