cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beltway around Richmond, VA

Miss_Ellie1
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading to Florida from Washington, DC area and dreading the Bypass around Richmond, VA because of the terrible roads. Huge pot holes and really horrible road that shook the stuff out of the trailer. Thinking of just going straight thru Richmond on 95 and not taking the bypass. Suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
petrel wrote:
As stated previously, if you survive I-95 in SC, 295 around Richmond is no big deal. With that said, if it is not rush hour, I will go straight through Richmond on 95 to avoid the slight detour and the numerous speed traps on 295.

If you are towing fast enough to worry about laser traps let us all know when you are coming thru. We will take 95 that day.

I was just on 295 back in Nov. No speed traps at all, but I wish there was one. Towards the end (heading southbound) where it goes from three lanes to two, I was not towing and in the center lane going about 70. Right when the left lane was ending some idiot in a car comes flying up the left lane and cuts right in front of me as the lane is ending.
As if that wasn't bad enough, right behind him was some moron towing a TT who then thought he was going to do the same thing. Now I am already doing 70 and he thinks he is going to be able to pass me with his trailer and the left lane is literally ending NOW. I had to put the pedal to the floor or else he would have sideswiped my truck with his trailer or run me off the road. I was doing 80+ and just cleared him. He fell in line behind me and proceeded to tail me so close at 80+ that I couldn't see his front plate in my mirror. He did this with his TT in tow for about 10 miles.
What an idiot.

Now on the return trip I was towing cargo trailer and went through Richmond. The lanes are twisty and narrower in some spots. I wouldn't take a TT or a 5'er through them. 295 is wide and clear. I think 95 is in worse shape than 295.

minnow wrote:
bucky wrote:
petrel wrote:
As stated previously, if you survive I-95 in SC, 295 around Richmond is no big deal. With that said, if it is not rush hour, I will go straight through Richmond on 95 to avoid the slight detour and the numerous speed traps on 295.

If you are towing fast enough to worry about laser traps let us all know when you are coming thru. We will take 95 that day.

Thought the same thing....:E

I USED to worry about stuff like that, now it's a different ball game for me and towing. I am just happy not to get rear ended
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
petrel wrote:

Thought the same thing....:E

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
petrel wrote:

Puma 30RKSS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Unless I arrived in/around rush hour, I would hit it on down I-95 straight through downtown Richmond. The only time I have ever had really bad traffic, there was a motorhome on fire in the far left lane. That's been years ago, but I was stuck for about 1 1/2 hours and was over an hour late for a really important meeting. The good thing was, I was not the only one stuck.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with jk31668 . All except from Ft Lauder dale past Miami. There is no good time there on 95. Thak the turnpike around that mess. I went through that area last year at 3AM. 6 lanes 5 MPH.
Dennis Hoppert

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have used the Richmond bypass a number of times. Never found a real problem with it.

The Washington Beltway... Now that is a complete nuther story.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered taking 50 and 13 down the eastern shore?
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for 295...I just did it northbound this month and but for a couple of bridge transitions it was fine. Did 95 southbound because of the time and it was much worse
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

I am another 295 no matter what guy . . . The ONLY way you will find me on 95 and not on 295 is if I am going South and jumping onto 85 to run to Charlotte...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Miss Ellie wrote:
Will be heading to Florida from Washington, DC area and dreading the Bypass around Richmond, VA because of the terrible roads. Huge pot holes and really horrible road that shook the stuff out of the trailer. Thinking of just going straight thru Richmond on 95 and not taking the bypass. Suggestions?

You can try that, but you'll find it a lot worse. And if you think the Richmond bypass is bad, try going around Chicago. We had our water heater tank crack this past summer doing that one.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in a passenger car I would take 295 every time. The north bound bypass also merges into the left lane BTW.
Puma 30RKSS

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
The 295 bypass is not so bad. I would not take 95 just to avoid the rough road. 95 through South Carolina is where the big pot holes are at.

Agree. 295 is not that bad and I would not do I 95 just to avoid it. Unless SC has really worked hard that will be the worst road you will travel on. There are some potholes along that portion of 95 that will scare you both north and south bound.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023