cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed slide "flange" problems

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
The bed slide trim on my Greystone Re32 slide is flexing inward when the slide is out. Just looking at it it looks like the slide is a box and 1/2 plywood flanges were fastened to the box to keep it from falling out of the trailer. This seems to be a normal set up but my main slides seem to have some bracing and this does not. The trim is a 1x6 trim boards with separate corner blocks. The flanges have flexed so much that the blocks have came loose. It is all wrapped in rubber fabric so I can't see much. Does anyone know how this is put together? Is there a brace somewhere that keeps the flange solid or is it just nailed/screwed to the "box"? I'd send pictures if I could figure out how. Thanks, Jeff

It is a Heartland brand. Like a Sundance only Gray. Made only a couple of years.
13 REPLIES 13

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Barney. Got not response to the post so I'm not worrying about the pictures. I'm leaving this post and don't plan to monitor it. Hope it helps someone in the future.

Jeff

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jeff,
You only put one picture in your post. When you use the app you have to put each picture in separately. Upload one, copy the URL and paste it into your post. Upload another, copy the URL and paste it into your post. Continue this until all picture URL's are in your post. I helps to put a blank line (RETURN) in between each picture.
When all the URL's are in the post then hit "post" and they will all show up.

I usually open the app in a 2nd window and just switch back and forth between the two.
In your picture post above you only have one picture URL from the app in there.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
well it doesn't look like the pictures made it but this does show the brace I added. Only real important thing anyway.

Jeff

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
I got no responses so I tied into it blind. The first picture shows the other side before I started the project and it looks the same when I was done. The 2nd pic is with the trim off. See the two separate backer/flanges. I removed the backer/flange in the 3rd pic and you see the 1" x2" frame of the box. The flange was attached with 3 screws and one was loose hence the loose flange. Reattached the flange with a brace attaching the top and side flanges. The brace is "j" shaped and extends to the back of the flanges. I added several more screws,(6 or more) rewrapped the flange with the fabric and attached the trim and the corner block. Very solid. Works great. I was not as neat with my nail placement as OEM so a bit of putty will be needed. Thanks for looking. I hope the pictures show.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Usnthedog wrote:
That is what I think happens. The pinion gear tooth rides up over the rack tooth at the end of travel. I'll accept anyone else's explanation. The point is that the system stops when the slide is fully extended. There could be a built in ratchet that relieves the end of travel stress. It is not motor stall. The noticeable clunk is a giveaway that it is a mechanical separation of the motor and the slide. Am I the only one who has a system like this?
Jeff

What I am getting at is that there should be a mechanical stop, and it should be adjustable. It should mechanically stop just as the flange touches the wall. There should little to no pressure on the flange.

As for your slides mechanics... I do not know, There are quite a few different ones out there
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I think happens. The pinion gear tooth rides up over the rack tooth at the end of travel. I'll accept anyone else's explanation. The point is that the system stops when the slide is fully extended. There could be a built in ratchet that relieves the end of travel stress. It is not motor stall. The noticeable clunk is a giveaway that it is a mechanical separation of the motor and the slide. Am I the only one who has a system like this?
Jeff

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Usnthedog wrote:
This as far as I know is rack and pinion. As the slide extends it hits the top and then the bottom/sides are pushed out until the pinion slips on the rack with a very noticeable clunk. My main slides are like this and they behave the same.
How does the pinion "slip" on the rack?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
This as far as I know is rack and pinion. As the slide extends it hits the top and then the bottom/sides are pushed out until the pinion slips on the rack with a very noticeable clunk. My main slides are like this and they behave the same.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The slides I have had all had mechanical stops in the mechanisms... They did not rely on the inside trim as yous appears to be doing. Look for such a stop.It should be adjustable.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, it is showing up. That app works great and is very easy to use - as you just found out.:)
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer

Hope this picture appears.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jeff,
If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.
Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)
Barney
Not towing now.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a lot of experience with trailers, but pictures would probably help a lot, if you can post some.