cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary fuel tank

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of their truck?
I have a 2019 F250 diesel crew cab with the short bed.
Just wondering if you had problems and solutions.
Thanks.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"
29 REPLIES 29

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
markc wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Not trying to be "that guy", but there are many threads on this. If you search, you will find the same answers. Those of us that have them for the most part really like them. Those that have never used them will talk about how it is a waste, and you have to stop for biological reasons, so just stop when getting fuel. You will almost certainly even find someone who posts a photo of a single yellow 5 gallon can that they claim is equivalent to a transfer tank......

Anyway, I have a 60 gallon RDS tank/tool box combo. Love it. Great investment. No need for a fuel pump, gravity feed works fine. Choose where you stop instead of stopping when you have to.

Nothing here on a search of auxiliary fuel tank. Thanks

They were a bit harder to find than I thought they would be, but they are there. Here are two.

Some of the 1 replies are funny. Thanks
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
markc wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Not trying to be "that guy", but there are many threads on this. If you search, you will find the same answers. Those of us that have them for the most part really like them. Those that have never used them will talk about how it is a waste, and you have to stop for biological reasons, so just stop when getting fuel. You will almost certainly even find someone who posts a photo of a single yellow 5 gallon can that they claim is equivalent to a transfer tank......

Anyway, I have a 60 gallon RDS tank/tool box combo. Love it. Great investment. No need for a fuel pump, gravity feed works fine. Choose where you stop instead of stopping when you have to.

They were a bit harder to find than I thought they would be, but they are there. Here are two.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some trucks, and some jobs for the truck, in some locations, hauling lots of fuel makes sense. Back when I was running 427 GMC, and working it hard, a lot of days a 50 gallon saddle on each side would not last all day. And often that 200 gallon tank on the F 750 was worthwhile. But now, for what I use the pickup for a extra gas tank even for free would not be worth the cost.
If somebody only hears cheers for them they are less likely to really think about their need for the tank.

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the replies, lots of help.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '16 Ram 2500 short bed CTD. I put in a Better Built HD 36 gal Black steel transfer tank . Love it , it is 11' deep x 17' high x 46' wide. You don't need a fuel pump. I use a 3/4 x 6' siphon hose works great. I wanted a black one, so I bought it on amazon from Northern Tool. If you want a white one , you can get it from Tractor Supply.
toolmaker

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Tool box combos are very nice. I have a 50 gallon tank with a separate tool chest box. Lots of room, the storage box sits on the bed floor. I fill that sucker up with tools, oils, grease, ratchet straps, draw bars, hitch cover, jumper cables ect. They make L tank combos with 100 gallon capacity, but the storage inside is much less. ATC brand was my choice. I added the transfer pump and filter for my Kubota tractor. ATC had a nice option list, tank and box was made to order. Gravity feed is the best method IMO. I've done the selector valve switch with the in tank pump/sending unit, it wasn't worth the hassle.

Having the extra 50 gallons pushes my towing range out to 800 miles or more. Most of my trips are under 500 miles, so I enjoy not having to stop for fuel with the 5th wheel attached. I can run to the nearest beaches and come back on one fill up. Its a nice luxury. ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Word of caution for newer GM owners and gravity feed system. You will need something to clear codes, because the newer GMs will set a pending code and your fuel guage will drop to empty if you travel approx 100 miles and the computer does detect any drop in fuel level. If the pending code is not cleared by the end of the next 100 miles it will set a Check Engine code.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
TimnJo wrote:
I too have a steel tank but don't have an additional water filter and haven't had any water in fuel issues, even after leaving it empty all winter. I put an inline electric fuel shutoff with a dash switch for easier control of when the auxiliary flows into the main.

Water condensation in a fuel tank is a bit of a myth. Just enough truth to make it believable.

Ran the numbers one time for our 220gal tank on our boat. Over the course of a 6 month winter, if the tank was almost empty and air changed over completely every day and 100% of the moisture condensed (ie: very conservative assumptions), the amount of water that would condense out would be equivalent to a few pea size drops.

Water does get into boat fuel tanks but usually around fittings that are mounted flush to the deck or it came with the fuel.

It's not going to hurt to add a filter but if you find water, it's unlikely to be from condensation.

Back in the day, when asphalt haulers would park for winter the guys that would leave the truck low on fuel would need to change fuel filter the first day of hauling. I would make sure mine was full, not to save the filter but because it was a help for the time between start of work to first payday.
Dump truckers prayer; Lord if you get me thru February I can March for myself.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a RDS aluminum transfer fuel tank toolbox combo with a RDS gravity flow kit on three different super duty trucks. 2008, 2017 and 2020 all CCSB SRW. It has been the very first thing I installed. Pretty much stop where I want when I want. I have the RDS #74026 50 gallon.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Hope to see yโ€™all on the road.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
TimnJo wrote:
I too have a steel tank but don't have an additional water filter and haven't had any water in fuel issues, even after leaving it empty all winter. I put an inline electric fuel shutoff with a dash switch for easier control of when the auxiliary flows into the main.

Water condensation in a fuel tank is a bit of a myth. Just enough truth to make it believable.

Ran the numbers one time for our 220gal tank on our boat. Over the course of a 6 month winter, if the tank was almost empty and air changed over completely every day and 100% of the moisture condensed (ie: very conservative assumptions), the amount of water that would condense out would be equivalent to a few pea size drops.

Water does get into boat fuel tanks but usually around fittings that are mounted flush to the deck or it came with the fuel.

It's not going to hurt to add a filter but if you find water, it's unlikely to be from condensation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Secret bonus, a full aux makes my truck ride better. I saw no change in fuel mileage per gallon, before vs after tank install.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I Have a 40 gallon RDS gravity feed and would have loved to had a larger one, BUT the weight of the extra fuel would have put me over my trucks rear axle weight rating limit.

With a 3/4 ton truck, be very careful with your weights to be sure you do mot exceed the axle weight rating.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot