cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appropriate TV

Sheepdog78
Explorer
Explorer
I’m sure this question has come up several times, but I’m new here and haven’t found any real solid advice on line. I currently have a 35’ 5er that weighs about 10k pounds total. I pull it with an 6.7 F250 with no issues. My wife and I started with an inexpensive camper to see if we like it and how often we would use it. Well it turns out we love camping, and use it about 4 times a year, including at least a 2 week trip in the summer. We are now looking to upgrade to a larger, nicer, and of course more expensive fifth wheel. We have settled on a North Point model with a floor plan that works best for us. It’s in the 14k pound range dry and 43’ long. My TV is in current need on injector work, and I’m contemplating the need to step up to a 1 ton, or fix what I have and run with it?I’m not so much worrind about the weight, or the fact that I will be over payload ratings. I have airbags. My main concern is stability with the longer trailer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Definitely a 1 ton. We upgraded from an F250 6.8L gas to our current TV listed for our FW and it definitely makes tower easier and safer. Lots of power, fuel efficiency, and room to spare for a larger FW should we ever need that.

. . . an additional note - we don't have air bags or any other extras other than what came on the F350. FW tows level. We do have an air hitch - Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 and we tow smoothly.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
1T Dually

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bag it n 19,5’s. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“or the fact that I will be over payload ratings. I have airbags.”

Air bags level the rig. Air bags do not increase payload.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sheepdog78
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I know what I need to do. Luckily my Ford is still worth quite a bit, and I found a good deal on a 1 ton DRW.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The size you are talking about will be best towed/carried by a DRW. A 1 ton SRW would be very little difference compared to your 250. Don't let Ford's prices scare you away, if it is truly your first choice. The GM 3500 would be good too, but if money is really the issue, a Ram Cummins dually is a great TV, and normally the best price.

Jerry

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a 1 ton. We upgraded from an F250 6.8L gas to our current TV listed for our FW and it definitely makes tower easier and safer. Lots of power, fuel efficiency, and room to spare for a larger FW should we ever need that.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll definitely need a 3500 for that, likely a DRW. I've always considered a SRW to be good up to about 15K loaded weight. That 14K dry trailer will likely weigh around 16-17K loaded. That's roughly 3500-4000 on the pin which is nearly all the available payload for a SRW. Add in a hitch in the truck, people and gear and you'll be way over.

You "might" be able to technically stay in the numbers if you don't load the trailer too much and travel with barely anything in the truck but that's really not a fun way to travel. All that said, just the hitch in the bed and the trailer loaded with minimal stuff could put you over your payload. I'm trying to remember but it seems like most SRW 3500 diesels have payloads around 4000-4500#.

Sheepdog78
Explorer
Explorer
On a side note, I love Fords but based on their current prices, I suspect someone at FMC has developed a serious crack habit.

Sheepdog78
Explorer
Explorer
I’m strongly considering a DRW 3500 Chevy. Texas is a big truck state, but in Houston virtually no one wants them so they can be had for much less that a SRW or 3/4 ton. Size is not a problem, it’s not a daily driver.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Sure that others will chime in but a 1 ton would be necessary for a larger 5th wheel like you are looking at. Airbags will not help with adding payload.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY