cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using a Andersen Ultimate on a 2020 GM truck?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I am now the proud owner of a Silverado 3500HD Duramax. It has the standard 6'11" bed. For nearly the same cost as buying the necessary adapters for my existing traditional Superglide hitch, I can buy a new Andersen Ultimate gooseneck setup (my new truck has the OEM gooseneck prep and gooseneck hitch packages).

On the new GM trucks, the OEM gooseneck mount is set slightly behind the rear axle. It appears that the Andersen hitch moves the ball back a bit more. And, the kingpin adapter moves the ball receiver a bit forward on the pinbox. All of this creates more clearance to the cab.

My concern is how this might affect the stability of the trailer while towing (chucking, etc.). Is anyone using this exact setup with success (or not)?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
27 REPLIES 27

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
I used the Andersen in my 08 Duramax and now my 2020 Denali. I only have one trip about 50 miles away and it handled well, still a little more bucking than I prefer but not bad. My clearance is good with the funnel "backwards" meaning the pin box is closer to the cab. I haven't tried to go 90 degrees but it's made the clearance for what I need it to.

Interesting. I finished my break in and took it out for a longer test drive (about 20 mile r/t) up and down a small grade to see how it towed. I have the hitch and adapter both in the "standard" locations for the maximum offset (moving the trailer 9" back). I have a very similar truck to yours (towing wise) and didn't notice any abnormal bucking. I have the Z71 package with the off-road shocks. Maybe those stabilize the bucking sooner? Could be a difference in trailers. Mine is 12k lbs fully loaded.

I'm taking a trip next week to the mountains for a real test. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

Yeah the bucking wasn't bad in any way. Just more than I prefer, more just bouncing on highway joists and such. Probably completely normal. I've been debating getting the Gen Y goose pin box. More to eliminate the 5 minutes if taking i the hitch in and out.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
I used the Andersen in my 08 Duramax and now my 2020 Denali. I only have one trip about 50 miles away and it handled well, still a little more bucking than I prefer but not bad. My clearance is good with the funnel "backwards" meaning the pin box is closer to the cab. I haven't tried to go 90 degrees but it's made the clearance for what I need it to.

Interesting. I finished my break in and took it out for a longer test drive (about 20 mile r/t) up and down a small grade to see how it towed. I have the hitch and adapter both in the "standard" locations for the maximum offset (moving the trailer 9" back). I have a very similar truck to yours (towing wise) and didn't notice any abnormal bucking. I have the Z71 package with the off-road shocks. Maybe those stabilize the bucking sooner? Could be a difference in trailers. Mine is 12k lbs fully loaded.

I'm taking a trip next week to the mountains for a real test. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. I installed mine. My pinbox is fairly short so I didn't have any problem using the AUH in its standard positions giving me a total of 9+" of offset. With the 6'11" bed length in the 2020 GM truck, I have a mile between the trailer and cab. Short test drive confirmed no contact with bed rails, tailgate and especially cab. Plenty of clearance. I only went around the block as I haven't finished the non-towing break in of the truck. When I take it out for real I'll know if I have any chucking issues. So far, I love it. I went from the heaviest 5th wheel hitch in the business (Superglide)to the lightest.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
Well ... I bought one. I'll be installing and testing in the next few days and will report back.

You won't be disappointed , they are great hitches ,although I tow with the steel version, the process is the same . I have four positions I can use , I have the hitch in the rear position ,and the adapter in the forward position . That puts my kingpin just slightly forward of the axle center, the exact same distance where my 18K Reese slider is positioned in the tow position.

I have no problems with the cab clearance, I have never slid back the Reese ,nor is the Andersen a problem. I tow with a Ram with a short bed ,which is the shortest of the three. Seeing more ,and more Andersen hitches in my travels, especially new trucks ,and fifth wheels .

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Well ... I bought one. I'll be installing and testing in the next few days and will report back.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I have no idea about Andersen, I have a Pull Rite single point which is essentially the same. Pull Rite says the Chevy under bed "joists" are not where they would support the Pull Rite and they require a kit to fix that. I don't know where the Andersen feet would sit in the bed, that may be something to check with Andersen.

I contacted Andersen customer service and here's what they said:

"The new 2020 Chevyโ€™s and GMCโ€™s do not require any additional support under the truck bed as they have re-enforced the truck bed."

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Actually my AF (2011) doesn't have the sculpted corners. There is a radius to the front cap where the sides are about 4" back from the center which might help a little. It's my understanding that the Andersen hitch distributes the weight of the pin across the base of the hitch which sits pretty squarely over the axle. That's the theory, anyway.

As gkainz pointed out above, there are some configuration options that would let me tune the distance to get it as far forward as possible without risking contact with the cab. There are also concerns for contact by the pin box with the bed sides and tailgate that have to be considered.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Towing 9+ inches behind the axle is not a good idea, and will remove weight from the front.
I'm pretty sure your Arctic Fox has sculpted corners on the front cap, and would not need that far of an offset for safe towing.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll contact Andersen to see they have the same issue with the joists.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea about Andersen, I have a Pull Rite single point which is essentially the same. Pull Rite says the Chevy under bed "joists" are not where they would support the Pull Rite and they require a kit to fix that. I don't know where the Andersen feet would sit in the bed, that may be something to check with Andersen.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Gkainz. That's good stuff. I'm actually pleased with potentially being able to get 9.375" offset away from the cab. It sounds like I can tune things somewhat with this hitch as you have shown. If you look at the footprint of the OEM puck system on the new GM trucks, the GN puck is not centered between the 5th wheel pucks. It is offset toward the back of the bed somewhat. Unfortunately, the dealer is installing running board steps right now before I take delivery or I would go out and measure. I am still hoping someone else here has the same setup and can share his (her) experience.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Andersen Ultimate but no experience with the Chevy truck. However, I posted in a different thread here
the following that might be helpful:

Clearance of your pinbox, frame etc, to bed must be checked by you and this post contains no warranty that these settings or positions will clear all obstructions in your particular installation.

The Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch has 4 combinations of positioning that can adjust fore and aft placement of the pin.

The documentation and specs can be found on the andersen website - pick the spec to match the hitch you're curious about The Andersen frame (at least mine - older version) is labeled with "This side towards cab" but communication with Andersen verified I can install it either direction.

The ball leg of the frame is offset from the gooseneck ball connector by 5.375". So, that gives you 10.75" of adjustment fore and aft of the gooseneck ball (not variable adjustment, just 2 different "placements"). The adapter plate that mounts to the kingpin has a 4" offset, and can be oriented forward or aft, yielding an 8" difference. So, ranges of adjustment from the gooseneck ball (my example) can be:

Option 1
- frame pointed aft -5.375"
- adapter pointed aft -4.00"
total aft offset -9.375"

Option 2
- frame pointed aft -5.375"
- adapter pointed forward +4.00"
total aft offset -1.375"

Option 3
- frame pointed forward +5.375"
- adapter pointed aft -4.00"
total forward offset +1.375"

Option 4
- frame pointed forward +5.375"
- adapter pointed forward +4.00"
total forward offset +9.375"

This only addresses fore and aft adjustment. The ball has 3 height positions, measured from the bed of the truck to the top of the ball
+ 16.5"
+ 17.625"
+ 18.75"
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er