cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use a swivel wheel platform?

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Still going round and round on what will be the "final" RV for retirement. We were going to go with another Moho, but have decided to keep the dually and TC and just add another, either a 5er or TT, I'm leaning to a 5er for the better towing. If we go with a 5er I need some way to bring the Harley along.

I've looked at the Idaho tote and the swivel wheels platforms.

Anyone have one? How does it perform?
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
19 REPLIES 19

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mountainkowboy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OP, I see you are in NW OR. One option depending on where you travel is to just double tow. Take MC Trailer across Border and then hook n go. Or do as I do and simply double tow in WA, OR and CA plus all the other West Freedom States.

I have a Kendon stand up trailer that is AWESOME!!!

NE Oregon, Wallowa Valley. Trailer wont work for us, but yes they make an excellent trailer.

Oops, yes NE that’s why I suggested the trailer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OP, I see you are in NW OR. One option depending on where you travel is to just double tow. Take MC Trailer across Border and then hook n go. Or do as I do and simply double tow in WA, OR and CA plus all the other West Freedom States.

NE Oregon, Wallowa Valley. Trailer wont work for us, but yes they make an excellent trailer.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
I went with one of these

An 87 FLHTP is 800 pounds
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Still going round and round on what will be the "final" RV for retirement. We were going to go with another Moho, but have decided to keep the dually and TC and just add another, either a 5er or TT, I'm leaning to a 5er for the better towing. If we go with a 5er I need some way to bring the Harley along.

I've looked at the Idaho tote and the swivel wheels platforms.

Anyone have one? How does it perform?
What about a 5'er toyhauler ?

I can't find a TH that I like....they are to "desert toy" oriented for us. Plus the Harley won't always go with us.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
laknox wrote:

My "hitch guy" here in town, mounted a swivel wheel on the back of a customer's FW and ended up taking it off due to poor handling. Guy didn't want to add weight to the nose, as he was already close to his GVW.

I suppose you could build your own swivel-wheel and mount the wheels a bit forward, then load over them, to reduce the weight on the FW. Not sure how it'd handle, though.

Lyle

Swivel wheel trailer is much better as only around 50% goes on the back of the 5er. With a lift, it's 100% plus the example was a big heavy structure in itself.

I did see one swivel wheel where they effectively had two axles (4 swivel wheels) and claimed hitch weight (on the 5er) was negligible.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I looked at doing a hitch mounted carrier for my motorcycle, but didn't like the weight calculations related to the Moment Arm. Some of the reputable motorcycle carrier manufacturers won't even do one for anything but a larger Class A. The two main problems they worry about are frame extensions and the Moment Arm which unloads the front end of the vehicle or 5th wheel.

I used a small motorcycle trailer for a few years, but pulling a trailer has some limitations such as being able to easily back up.

So I ended up with a Swivel Wheel trailer that I bought from CruiserLift (FastMaster), a trailer manufacturer in Katy, Tx. Visited their shop, talked with the owner who had one set up for me to look at, and ended up buying it. He and I talked a lot about the engineering of the trailer and some of the problems people run into with it. The biggest problem is poor handling caused by improper mounting - the trailer should be mounted with the hitch side lower than the wheel side so the trailer is always tracking by "going downhill towards the towing vehicle". I towed my new purchase back home behind a 2-DR Jeep Wrangler which was sometimes squirrely when towing my old trailer, but the swivel wheel tracked behind the Jeep like it was on rails.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
I went with one of these

Looks to be a front mount receiver. Are you saying to carry a Harley at 800#+ in front of your trucks radiator?

So then are you going to re mount your turn signals and headlights? What about blocking off most of the air flow?

Also what about the vertical load 500# rating?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Someone here made a really nice hydraulic lift for their bike. Beefed up the FW frame aft of the axles, IIRC, and installed it. Lots of pics and they've been posted several times. One pic shows it strapped to his front end loader to test, prior to paint and install.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he was also looking to put several hundred pounds of lead shot in the nose because it was tail heavy and swaying.

My "hitch guy" here in town, mounted a swivel wheel on the back of a customer's FW and ended up taking it off due to poor handling. Guy didn't want to add weight to the nose, as he was already close to his GVW.

I suppose you could build your own swivel-wheel and mount the wheels a bit forward, then load over them, to reduce the weight on the FW. Not sure how it'd handle, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 500 Harley
Bill and Joey the dog

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I went with one of these
Bill and Joey the dog

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Someone here made a really nice hydraulic lift for their bike. Beefed up the FW frame aft of the axles, IIRC, and installed it. Lots of pics and they've been posted several times. One pic shows it strapped to his front end loader to test, prior to paint and install.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he was also looking to put several hundred pounds of lead shot in the nose because it was tail heavy and swaying.

4x4ord is who you are thinking of.

He did a BEAUTIFUL job on his Custom Lift!!!!!!!

4x post a pic for us.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
laknox wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

As others have said, whether a swivel-wheel platform is a trailer or not, and whether states allow double-towing, is a =huge= quagmire.

Hell, there were pics on here several years ago, of a guy who was towing a crazy setup. IIRC, he was towing a Samurai behind his FW and had a swivel-wheel attached to the Samurai for his quad!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member