cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone See This!!

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone see this yet?? What are your thoughts??

"New" Excel Winslow w/main door in slide-out
64 REPLIES 64

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Add me to the like it list. It is not a travel trailer by any means.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Another one in the minority, I like it.

I think putting the door in the slide makes for a more efficient use of space.

May cause shakes entering or leaving, but, honestly, in my opinion, so what? If it shakes on exiting, it stops shaking once you're out. If it shakes on entering, it stops once you're in.

May not be able to access some parts while the slide is in, but I'd rather have a better layout when setup than sacrifice that layout for traveling "convenience".

If I was in the market for a big 5th wheel, I'd give this serious consideration.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
SidKaye wrote:
To all the negative comments, Excel earns "Best of Show" at Hershey!

BEST IN SHOW AT THE LARGEST RV SHOW IN THE NATION!!!

Sidney
I\

If the readers of this post would have had a vote I don't think it would have won anything.
We don't have to like it because it was "best of show".

Everybody had a right to their own opinion, whether negative or positive.

Like I always say, "If you're not going to like an answer to a question; don't ask it." Answers to this post are only opinions, and everybody has a right to their own opinion.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

SidKaye
Explorer
Explorer
To all the negative comments, Excel earns "Best of Show" at Hershey!

BEST IN SHOW AT THE LARGEST RV SHOW IN THE NATION!!!

Sidney
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Stepping onboard that thing is going to shake it good. Think what happens when you step on the gunwhale of a boat instead of stepping into it. You are putting weight far from its center of gravity. 200# stomping on the steps.

I think that is a very good point. I'm not sure what you could do to minimize the shake, might add some stair stabalizers. I've never believed in putting the slideout supports but I guess that might be an option as well.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stepping onboard that thing is going to shake it good. Think what happens when you step on the gunwhale of a boat instead of stepping into it. You are putting weight far from its center of gravity. 200# stomping on the steps.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dave_E
Explorer
Explorer
SidKaye wrote:
Just for some clarification, here is a quote from the President of Excel.

"As many of you know, we had a very nice article in Trailer Life about our new concept" unit, the Winslow D37SDF. I realize that this unit is not for everyone with the concept of having the entry door in the slide-out. That's why we created the exact same floorplan (D37IKF) with the door in the conventional location."

So for all the comments about the entry door in the slide-out, there is An easy solution....order it without that option.

Sidney

And there you have it best in both units :B somebody there had a thinking cap on, with the door in the wall it should be a good seller, I like the floor plan that way.
If at first you don't succeed--don't try sky diving!!
I'd rather be camping

SidKaye
Explorer
Explorer
Just for some clarification, here is a quote from the President of Excel.

"As many of you know, we had a very nice article in Trailer Life about our new concept" unit, the Winslow D37SDF. I realize that this unit is not for everyone with the concept of having the entry door in the slide-out. That's why we created the exact same floorplan (D37IKF) with the door in the conventional location."

So for all the comments about the entry door in the slide-out, there is An easy solution....order it without that option.

Sidney
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
JohnG3 wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
Interesting what people find important in an rv. You would think it were things like, construction, building materials, weights and measures, etc. Instead, people worry about being being able to get to the bathroom while on the road. Wow, you stop at a rest stop and they have bathrooms.

I always get a kick out of rv shows. People talk about the number of flat screens, outside sound systems, color choices and valances.

All those things can be added or changed, the wall insulation, layout, and construction cannot.

Love this rv!

People take a wide range of items into what they consider in an RV. The manufacturer can use the best of materials and workmanship and find that the floor plan only appeals to a very few buyers. The choice is not all materials or all floorplans.

My point was that, based on my observations at rv shows and we have been to many over the years, is that people pay more attention to cosmetic details instead of construction.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I just saw a Rexhall Aerbus 2003 at Texas Trader. It has two living room slides with the door in the slideout. Very nice. First time I've seen a door in a slideout. The slide works great.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Excel's have always been known for their quality.

Mind you, I suppose five years ago or more, Excels were still the same quality, but their conservative decor approach left them very plain and boring in the interior compared to say the same vintage DRV Mobile Suites made then.

But appears with time Excel's new models are not the plain and boring interiors they once were. They've really stepped it up now with some very nice choices available.

Perhaps, to me, not this specific model. But other floor plans offered by Excel, especially in their top of line Limited series, can safely compete with anyone else in the RV industry.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's different. Kind of reminds me of Ford's Edsel concept :W
But who knows, maybe it is the beginning of a new era in 5ers.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like I'm in the minority, but I like this unit.
Good floor plan and good materials.
Never looked at Excel before, but I like this one.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

nancyebm
Explorer
Explorer
Not impressed. Back to the drawing board, as this looks to be short lived.
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax w/Allison
2007 Legends 30CK3-SH5