cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone pull a 14k 5er with a gas engine

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
If so what are your thoughts? Do you wish you had a diesel? What is your average towing MPG?
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
26 REPLIES 26

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Denny & Jami wrote:
I pull a 16K trailer all over the country with my past V10 with 4.30 gears and now with my 6.2 with 4.30 gears, we average over long trips between 8 and 9. The secret to towing heavy with a gas motor is the rear end gears!!! So don't listen to no nothing dealerships set it up for towing.

Denny

That sounds like a really nice truck you have there. I love gas motors. Post a pic of you get a chance, I would love to see it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. We plan on getting a 5er in 3 or 4 years when I retire and plan on a new diesel tow vehicle. I have access to a company vehicle with a gas engine and was thinking about going ahead and getting the 5er now and pulling with the company vehicle until I retire. I don't want to buy the diesel until I retire so it will have full warranty when we start traveling a lot more.

The trailer you can tow now with a gas engine truck, may not be the one you want for retirement. Also note that many snowbird or other resorts have 10 year age limits on RVs that they sometimes enforce.

You might be better off with a small used trailer in the interim period. That will help you figure out what you want for a retirement trailer.

Remember to look at trailers with the slides both in and out. In you want to look at refrig and bathroom access. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 16K trailer all over the country with my past V10 with 4.30 gears and now with my 6.2 with 4.30 gears, we average over long trips between 8 and 9. The secret to towing heavy with a gas motor is the rear end gears!!! So don't listen to no nothing dealerships set it up for towing.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
The last time I pulled 14,000 with my '05 Duramax it wasn't enough truck. But, I also had 2,000 pounds in the truck bed, I was going up a mountain with the AC on, and the air temp outside was in the upper 90's. The most I could do up the mountain was 30 MPH and the truck got really hot doing that.

that would be a lot of bed weight including the pin weight.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have access to a company vehicle with a gas engine and was thinking about going ahead and getting the 5er now and pulling with the company vehicle until I retire.

Sounds like a good plan....IF the company vehicle has the 8.1 GM or Fords V10 with lots of low down torque.
Some have given up their 6.xx new gen high hp smallblock gas trucks pulling 14k+ lb trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
If so what are your thoughts? Do you wish you had a diesel? What is your average towing MPG?

Actually I pull a little heavier than that with mine.
I have a 07 Silverado dually with the 8.1 big block and the Allison transmission and 4.10 gears.
Absolutely love this combination as a tow vehicle as it has more than enough torque for what I am towing and is cheap to maintain.
The only downside is the fuel economy (She is thirsty) but not bad enough to get a diesel just yet.
Sometime in the future when I move to a Mobile Suites I guess I will need a diesel but until then I'm keeping her.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. We plan on getting a 5er in 3 or 4 years when I retire and plan on a new diesel tow vehicle. I have access to a company vehicle with a gas engine and was thinking about going ahead and getting the 5er now and pulling with the company vehicle until I retire. I don't want to buy the diesel until I retire so it will have full warranty when we start traveling a lot more.

Heck yeah go for it.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote:
steveksfc wrote:
I have a '88 Chevrolet R30 Crew Cab 2wd tonner with a 454 4 bbl and average 10 mpg pulling a 15000 5er. I have never had any issues pulling anything. Including a semi that broke down and needed a pull off the highway. Would rather have a diesel but need to find an old bus so I can get everything needed to keep a auto transmission so wife can drive also when needed.

Must have been a one in a billion truck. My 99 Vortec 7.4 pulling a scaled 11,600 lb 5er got 5-6 mpg downhill. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree bucky, but your number may be off a little. I know a guy with an old motorhome, with a carbed Ford 460, that he tows an enclosed heavy trailer with. He also averages 10 mpg, while towing said trailer at 70 mph!! :B

Jerry

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
steveksfc wrote:
I have a '88 Chevrolet R30 Crew Cab 2wd tonner with a 454 4 bbl and average 10 mpg pulling a 15000 5er. I have never had any issues pulling anything. Including a semi that broke down and needed a pull off the highway. Would rather have a diesel but need to find an old bus so I can get everything needed to keep a auto transmission so wife can drive also when needed.

Must have been a one in a billion truck. My 99 Vortec 7.4 pulling a scaled 11,600 lb 5er got 5-6 mpg downhill. ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I do it. My trailer is around 13500. It does o.k. I would not want to go across country with it. I get 10 1/2 solo and 7.9 towing. The hills are the demons on the gas engine.2nd gear and 4000 rpm's will keep me at 50 mph.6 or 7 percent grades are slower but I get there. I only do weekends and a few 1 week trips. I got a great deal 12 years ago and she only has 36000 miles on it right now and can't afford a high priced diesel so I will have to keep her for a long time.If you can afford a diesel then go for it.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I pulled 14,000 with my '05 Duramax it wasn't enough truck. But, I also had 2,000 pounds in the truck bed, I was going up a mountain with the AC on, and the air temp outside was in the upper 90's. The most I could do up the mountain was 30 MPH and the truck got really hot doing that.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at 11K and it does good not great. 14K is doable but you'd need some pretty tall gears at the rear end and get ready to hear some RPMs roar. It's certainly possible with the right setup. There are 38' gasser RVs with a tow vehicle behind pulling mountain passes everyday.