cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adhesive Removal for Decals/Graphics

DreamComeTrue
Explorer
Explorer
I live near the Pacific Ocean on the South Oregon Coast. I have a 2010 Cougar Fifth-wheel RV. Because of high winds and driving rain the decals/graphics and stripes on the Cougar have become tattered over the years. I used a heat gun to remove the decals/graphics over two days, but this heavy-duty adhesive is very difficult to remove. I have tried many adhesive (not glue) removers, and the only one that works that does not remove any of the finish is lacquer thinner. It is a tedious job, and I am wondering if anyone has a better idea. Goo Gone and Goof Off don't work at all. Acetone takes off the finish. The heat gun softens the adhesive, but it hardens again almost immediately, and scraping it while warm doesn't work either. I am guessing there are others who don't thank the Cougar makers for this series of RV's because of this adhesive and decals that are guaranteed to shred and peel. I see the newer models (and even the older models) have a totally different way to seal those decals/graphics. I would like to see manufacturers allow buyers to choose not to have any of the graphics.
20 REPLIES 20

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably the best is CA Scents, Orange Squeeze at Lowe’s. HD has a larger size...Pure Citrus Air Freshener that runs less as it’s more like a foam.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Citrus air freshener...I had my doubts but you will be amazed and you'll smell good too. It is now my first choice for cleaning and removing decals.

Your brand of air freshener would be a great help.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Try some Deep Woods OFF in a small spot.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
No buying new any more for me, but if you are going custom, request it. No decals. I'm trying to challenge myself...and expanding. The RV's that I have had in the past only proves that I think I can do better. Even my mother has a toy hauler (jealous) and she has had her issues....but I want to do what I have already done only on a smaller scale. I built the full sized home I live in currently and, well the next one will have wheels instead of in the bed of my truck. I'm moving on. It is a project taking on such an adventure; I'm not rich by any means but where there is a will there is a way. I have the basic plan, already have the 5th wheel frame used (carefully chosen and deconstructed), a great hitch with suspension and wheel upgrades. I am not impressed with decals and things that are shiny. I want durability, practicality, and most of all, livability. I'm not willing to take a loan out to buy something that big and costly that if things go wrong you pay and pay. I want a structure from the outside that can be easily replaced...filon, never again. So this self build is a first time go at it..Call it what it is. I don't get that if you got the cash and now you want to be an RV'er??.. and go straight to the big rigs??...lol!! Money can't buy smarts and time in the seat will tell you the reason why your all here. We learn from each other and that makes the time in the seat a better experience. We have been through it...so...say "NO" to graphics...lol. IMHO

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
Mineral spirits....and yes if you custom order a TC or any RV....like mine, you get whats called a choice. I don't need the maintenance and the sun damage. I also like my pressure washer to knock off the road dirt and will scrub it from time to time and stickers don't work for me. If you buy off the lot, you get a rolling billboard most times with a nice big logo of who made it. Click on my profile, you will see why I don't deal with the terrible splash graphics on RV's these days.

Nice photos! And... your 5th wheel "work in progress" -
Did you find a 5th wheel mfgr that would sell with NO decals?

:h

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mineral spirits....and yes if you custom order a TC or any RV....like mine, you get whats called a choice. I don't need the maintenance and the sun damage. I also like my pressure washer to knock off the road dirt and will scrub it from time to time and stickers don't work for me. If you buy off the lot, you get a rolling billboard most times with a nice big logo of who made it. Click on my profile, you will see why I don't deal with the terrible splash graphics on RV's these days.

DreamComeTrue
Explorer
Explorer
My Cougar RV is my second one. And last. Unless I meet and marry a wealthy old guy!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Large area vinyl remover

I'd go to a body shop supply store to buy adhesive remover.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I guess if mine ever got so bad that I'd want to take 'em off, I'd just sell the d@mn thing and buy a new one. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
my last trailer was a 2011 Cougar 5th wheel half-ton towable. I didn't notice much of a glaze or finish on the front cap where I removed the graphics. The white goes all the way through the fiberglass, so I didn't worry about using acetone. If you do it that way you can immediately follow up by wiping with a soapy rag. To finsish up the last of the glue I used Mr. Clean Dry Eraser and then wax.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Citrus air freshener...I had my doubts but you will be amazed and you'll smell good too. It is now my first choice for cleaning and removing decals.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
First, I don't think you can blame salt spray and wind for the graphics failure. Mine are doing the same thing, on the side that faces the sun. No salt and no wind here.

Second, I have not tackled this job yet, but when I do I'm going to try the Magic Eraser pads in a drill motor.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naptha is another good residue remover. Lacquer thinners works too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I used mineral spirits to remove the adhesive after removing the decals with a heatgun and plastic scraper.

Just be careful around painted surfaces...the mineral spirits will remove the paint.

Wash and wax the siding afterwards....

I did end up with ghost images of the decals but no adhesive. The decals had been on for over 15 years.