cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
In our 2020 Cedar Creek 29RW it came with one battery. I added another as soon as I got it home but the battery compartment/bin only has enough room for these 2. We don't boondock often but it seems I only have enough capacity to keep things going for about 24 hours. Most of this is eaten up by the refrigerator. If we use other things like heat, it dwindles faster. We do have solar and it's more than enough to keep them topped off when not in use. I do have a stand alone generator but it's big and would rather not tote that monster everywhere. So I was thinking of doubling up my batteries but no idea where to put them. I guess I could make a tray in the front compartment near the other 2. Anyone install a "remote" tray" somewhere else in your RV?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
38 REPLIES 38

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Two 6V golf cart batteries are rated at about 220Ah. 4 would give you about 440Ah @ 12V.

You can now buy 200 Ah LiFePO4 12V batteries that are rated at 280Ah. 2 would give you 560Ah. Actually more because you can only use about 20% of a lead acid battery without damaging it while you can use about 80% of a LiFePO4 battery.

Yes, they cost a lot more money, but they take less room and have a much longer life.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We added additional batteries for a total of 4 and they sit in the front storage bay.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
bukhrn wrote:
MFL wrote:
JMO, I'd not want to deal with a huge battery bank, for just an occasional boondock. I'd rather buy a light wt 2K gen, that can easily handle the charging needs. I have a Champ 2K 100565 for my seldom no electric campouts. Works great for all but AC.

Jerry
I'd lean towards MFL's suggestion of a small 2k, but first, if you have group 24 or 27s, i'd go bigger with group 31s. (IF they'll fit in your battery box).

Well, given that we don't boondock often, I'd rather keep costs down than buying another generator. If I really wanted to I could put the 6k genny I have in the back of the truck with no incremental cost. Really just looking to add an additional day to my usage and it seems the easiest and cheapest is just add 2 more batts. The 2 group 24's I have are almost brand new, so I am not sure it makes sense to replace them with 27's. BTW - I totally see the merit in either options suggested, but we just don't boondock that often to warrant a lot of expense. $200 I could double my battery bank, I am just not sure where to put them.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
I moved the battery bank out of the front compartment and into the main cargo bay after relocating the wall back quite a bit adding storage and room for my solar equipment. There was also wasted space under the staircase where I mounted a DIY Lithium battery bank on a sliding tray.

The blue tape on the floor is the stock wall location.

The area that used to carry the battery is now used for a chest style fridge/freezer.

What a beautiful installation ... want to come visit my place for a day or 2 and help me get organized? ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
JMO, I'd not want to deal with a huge battery bank, for just an occasional boondock. I'd rather buy a light wt 2K gen, that can easily handle the charging needs. I have a Champ 2K 100565 for my seldom no electric campouts. Works great for all but AC.

Jerry
I'd lean towards MFL's suggestion of a small 2k, but first, if you have group 24 or 27s, i'd go bigger with group 31s. (IF they'll fit in your battery box).
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I moved the battery bank out of the front compartment and into the main cargo bay after relocating the wall back quite a bit adding storage and room for my solar equipment. There was also wasted space under the staircase where I mounted a DIY Lithium battery bank on a sliding tray.

The blue tape on the floor is the stock wall location.

The area that used to carry the battery is now used for a chest style fridge/freezer.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The fridge is all electric residential and runs on the inverter when not plugged in to shore power. The water heater is dual fuel, either electric or LP. So LP when not on shore power. Batteries are Diehard model 24 12v - 2 of them wired parallel.

the stand alone genny I have is for the house and it's a 6KW - way too big to be lugging around.

If I did get another Genny I'd probably opt for one that could run at least one AC.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
We need more information, to give a good reply. Are you running the fridge on gas or electric? What about the hot water heater? What type of lights bulbs are you using. Do you use a inverter to power your ac devices? What type of batteries are you using? Size 24,27, standard lead? Sounds like you have a very small solar panel that will only trickle charge your battery. Basically useless if so.
al