cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding 2nd air, converting from 30 amp to 50 amp

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
I've currently got a 2013 keystone Laredo 279sre. I really like this camper, I plan to keep it, and getting a new one is not in the cards right now. It is currently a 30amp service.

My problem is, in the summertime in the South, it gets hot. The single 15k air unit will run from 7am-10pm sometimes without stopping. It will only cool too about 82 or so in the heat of the day.

With all of this said, I want to add an air unit up front and convert to 50amp. The converting to 50amp shouldn't be too much of a problem. My dad is an electrician, and a good friend is. Looks like I need a new plug, wire, new power distribution/converter, and new power cord.

The problem is running power from the power distribution to the front air unit. My questions come in with how hard it is to run wires in the ceiling, and who has pulled down ceiling panels and trim and how much is involved with that. Thanks for all the help, -Clayton.
29 REPLIES 29

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a suggestion for your electricians. Instead of R&Ring the current AC distribution panel simply put in a 50amp panel and run a 30 amp circuit to current panel and set another panel for the new air cond. leaving spaces for future add on's.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my last Mobile Suites I could run the 15k and 13.5 k AC’s as long as reefer and WH were on propane. No fancy switching.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that adding surface mount would be the easiest. Some people will find the surface mounted channels to be to "industrial" looking for their liking. The electricians will know what to do. Rely on them.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Your electrician Dad will know about the attractive surface mount wiring options.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I can see where 2 smaller A/C's could run on a 30a trailer. Maybe 2 ~8-9k units or, on older units, there were even smaller units. Even then, might still need to have a controller the sequence starting =and= hard start kits on them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Prepped, add AC and on 30A, YES if the power is good you can run two AC's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I've read about people running the second air directly to the pedestal. While this absolutely is the easiest, I don't really want to do this option and would rather convert to 50amp. I will check to see if it is pre wired, but I'm 99% sure it isn't, and don't really see why it would be with 30amp. I think I will learn a little more by pull pieces out of the ceiling. Is that thought to be easier than to the front of the camper, underneath and back up to the power distribution?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I suppose some have managed to run two AC's on 30A but when ever I've run even one the plug got warm.
Adding a seperate plug for the 20A outlets at parks seems like a good idea on the surface but I've always found them to be loose and worn out at any CG's I've tried to use them.

Your on the right track going to 50A in my opinion. It's the one way to not have to worry about power when running two or more AC's.
My current rig has 50A and I would never go back.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
yillb wrote:

Ehh... Your trailer is 2nd AC prepped, considerably different than what he said. having prep for a 2nd AC without a 50AMP service is mostly useless, and would only have been done either by mistake, or custom order. The dealerships are not going to order rigs like this, they don't sell, and there is a reason for it.
I guess you will tell me next my 04 pace arrow was wrong from the factory with 2 a/c's and 30 amp service.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
This is not true in all cases. I have a 30 amp unit and my bedroom vent is prewired for a/c.

Ehh... Your trailer is 2nd AC prepped, considerably different than what he said. having prep for a 2nd AC without a 50AMP service is mostly useless, and would only have been done either by mistake, or custom order. The dealerships are not going to order rigs like this, they don't sell, and there is a reason for it.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
take out the air vent some are pre wired.

If pre-wired the trailer would have a 50 amp service. To get wire from the distribution to the AC location onec you find a way to the ceiling, i would pull the trim from all the roof vents between where you get to the ceiling and the AC location, and snake it through. You might get a fiberglass snaking rod, much easier then working the wire through itself.
This is not true in all cases. I have a 30 amp unit and my bedroom vent is prewired for a/c.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:

If pre-wired the trailer would have a 50 amp service. To get wire from the distribution to the AC location onec you find a way to the ceiling, i would pull the trim from all the roof vents between where you get to the ceiling and the AC location, and snake it through. You might get a fiberglass snaking rod, much easier then working the wire through itself.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm actually on the verge of adding a third air to a 50 amp motorhome But I will wire it so that it can use internal or external power. I plan on having a corded end to the unit itself and then have two separate junctions with outlets, one tied into the extra circuit breaker on the motorhome panel and the other ready to be plugged into the Park pedestal if a spare 20amp outlet is available.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
twinstick wrote:
I've currently got a 2013 keystone Laredo 279sre. I really like this camper, I plan to keep it, and getting a new one is not in the cards right now. It is currently a 30amp service.

My problem is, in the summertime in the South, it gets hot. The single 15k air unit will run from 7am-10pm sometimes without stopping. It will only cool too about 82 or so in the heat of the day.

With all of this said, I want to add an air unit up front and convert to 50amp. The converting to 50amp shouldn't be too much of a problem. My dad is an electrician, and a good friend is. Looks like I need a new plug, wire, new power distribution/converter, and new power cord.

The problem is running power from the power distribution to the front air unit. My questions come in with how hard it is to run wires in the ceiling, and who has pulled down ceiling panels and trim and how much is involved with that. Thanks for all the help, -Clayton.

From everything I've read here, the easiest way to do it would be to add the 2nd unit and use a separate 20a cord to plug into the pedestal. The cleanest ones I've see use a separate junction box in the exterior with a male plug recessed in, then a short extension cord direct to a 20a plug on the pedestal. I've =seen= one where a guy just had a cord direct from the A/C unit on the roof and plugged into the pedestal. Said he just coiled it up around the box on the roof when he moved, and zip-tied it to keep it from uncoiling. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member