cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAA Magazine - F450 Commercial Drivers License ??

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I the latest edition of AAA World they seem to think that you will need a commercial drivers license if you come close to hauling the max in an F450 SuperDuty. Where is that coming from? I am sure Ford will love that observation.
Click on the link and go to the second page and you will see the article. Second paragraph of the article.

AAA World

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES
8 REPLIES 8

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I had heard that before as well, not in CO but in some other states.

Interesting to note that the 2015 F350 DRW now has the "wide track" option that has the wider front axle and tighter turning radius like the F-450, including the front fender flares and 4.30 rear end. To me that was the only reason I would have looked at the F450 anyway, not the GVWR or payload as I don't need it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking, in Illinois you are not required to have a CDL or anything but a regular driver's license if you are driving a vehicle registered in Illinois as an RV.

I haven't heard of them wanting to change that. I would suspect if a couple of very large RV's caused some fatal accidents that could change in a hurry. The state is completely broke and they are always looking for ways to increase fees or add expenses for drivers.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
NY requires a special R endorsement if your MH or truck + trailer's max GVWR is over 26,000 lbs. Not a full -blown CDL since an RV isn't a commercial vehicle, but they do require that endorsement. And for diesel pushers, I believe air brake endorsement is also required.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
In Kansas 26000lbs and over require a Non commercial CDL unless it's a Motorhome.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Most states requires a higher class of license for a vehicle over 26000lbs or towing xxxxx pound trailer. From what I have seen, most states offer that class in CDL for commercial or non CDL versions aimed at recreational use over those sizes.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Commercial drivers license is based on weight you can leggaly haul/tow.

Some states are discussing adding a special endorsement process for heavier vehicles including large MHs

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is to check with your state DMV to find out. I know that some states require a special license endorsement if you are driving or towing over 26,000 lbs. or if you are hauling paying customers.

Check with them.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likely comes from governments with vehicle jurisdiction "deeming" your private truck is now a commercial truck even though it isn't, it might be, even though you aren't, but you could... so pay now, in case you do... just in case... so it is fair....

Quite simple really...