cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good problem! 5 people, 5 nights, in a 5er

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping as a family of 5 from day one almost 10 years ago. Our kids have grown up going out camping every summer since our youngest daughter was 1 year old and she'll be 10 this year. We have spent most trips no more than 3-4 nights and if I die tomorrow I would be happy knowing we got to enjoy this time together as a family all these years.

Now my problem is, I've bit off a bigger bite of camping life and booked a family of five in our camper for five nights.
Want to try and avoid bath houses as much as possible just because of germs. Should we invest in a portable tank to transfer grey water?
I'm nervous about our gray and black water tanks. 56 and 28 gallons respectively. We will be a ways out from anywhere that would have equipment. We are headed to hunting island state park in south carolina. I want this to be one of our most awesome trips ever. Looking forward to everything but water/waste management. haha.
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft
14 REPLIES 14

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Barker tote with pneumatic tires. I have hauled both black and gray water. Its not a big deal. The handle hooks up to your hitch ball. Otherwise, get a full hookup site for long stays.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
woodtrucker wrote:
I actually went in and edited it. I had written it wrong originally. None the less we will have to use bathhouses as much as possible and reserve the camper use for night time only.

Yes reversing those tanks does change things a bit.
I think I could go 4 days with a 56 gallon grey tank so you will be close. However I think 28 gallon black could also be a limiting factor for a family of five. I have a 42 gallon Barker tote that pretty much gives me the freedom to stay on a site as long as I like if need be.
If this is one of your last trips with a large group you can get by using bath house, assuming virus restrictions don't close the bathhouses.
If you plan to use no sewer sites regularly with your group of 5,get a tote now.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
I actually went in and edited it. I had written it wrong originally. None the less we will have to use bathhouses as much as possible and reserve the camper use for night time only.
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
Invest in the tank. You may get away with outside showers depending on your site and you may not. Hunting Island is a major state park. I do not consider it very remote, it is quite the opposite, it can be a very busy state park.
A confrontation with a ranger over grey water discharge may have a negative impact on the greatest trip ever.
You should be OK with 56 gallon black and not need the tote. But your 28 gallon grey is not up to the task. My 40 gallon grey can last us a 3 day weekend with no conservation. Get the tote and enjoy yourself without worry.

You got OP's tank sized reversed. Black is only 28 and grey is 56, which is the usual, anemic, size for a lot of black tanks. No thought, whatsoever, for boondockers or dry campers. It's the primary reason that the Jayco I was looking at was a firm #2 on my short list.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

4youngs1
Explorer
Explorer
I had to use a tank with just 2 kids, it's a good investment. Also, we love Hunting Island, it's a great family campground.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Invest in the tank. You may get away with outside showers depending on your site and you may not. Hunting Island is a major state park. I do not consider it very remote, it is quite the opposite, it can be a very busy state park.
A confrontation with a ranger over grey water discharge may have a negative impact on the greatest trip ever.
You should be OK with 56 gallon black and not need the tote. But your 28 gallon grey is not up to the task. My 40 gallon grey can last us a 3 day weekend with no conservation. Get the tote and enjoy yourself without worry.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I sent you a Private Message.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
In 27 years of RVing, I never had the use for a portable tote tank... until this past year. I had two choices... hook up and go to dump station or travel about 100 miles to buy the only portable tote availabe in my area. I opted for the portable tote at almost 200.00. I think 21 gallons. I wanted 30. But, once I filled the 21 gallon, I found out I could not lift it.. (solo, female, 76).. got some help, tho. But, then one day I was looking on Craigs list and there was a tote for sale for 50.00. Wow. I now carry one and if I need it, I have it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“when faced with that dilemma,I just open the grey water enough to let it trick;e out overnight.”

Such fun for the camper after you! Dumping RV grey water is illegal and selfish.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
We boondock a fair bit and I'd have absolutely zero issues in dumping grey water in any AZ forest. Hell, they can all use the water anyway. As it is, we got in the habit of using a basin in the sink to wash dishes, which gets dumped on the ground anyway. I will say that the anemic size tanks in a lot of rigs kept them right off even my long list when I was shopping a few years ago. My #2 choice, a Jayco, was #2 mainly because of the stupidly small black tank. My #1 choice, a KZ (not the model I now have) was #1 =because= of the larger tanks. Had I been able to find any pics of the Jayco model to see how much room was underneath to see if I could add larger grey/black tanks, I might have gone with it, but the price would have had to have been exceptional. As it was, when I took DW to look at that model, her first words were, "where's the pantry?" Ooops! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In all honesty, when faced with that dilemma,I just open the grey water enough to let it trick;e out overnight. I don't visit RV parks (concrete slabs). The water seeps into the ground or evaporates rather quickly.

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Hunting Island is about an hour north of savannah, GA

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah! A tent shower is a great idea. We have on board propane and an outdoor shower attached to our hot water heater!
Forgot all about that!
Many thanks!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with that area, but is it spread out enough to allow usage of a shower tent and solar shower?
Looked at the park map, water tote is likely your only option.