Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheels rails

Ex-Halfton_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
Currently have a cheap pro series 5th wheel
hitch.looking at a B and W patriot 5 wheel hitch.
Can I use my current rails or do I need to get new ones? Thanks
The Wife, my 3 boys Joseph(19) Ryder(5) Kade(3)
2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLight 2801WS
Pulled by a 2012 Ford 350 Desiel 4x4
17 REPLIES 17

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Does the Curt X-5 rails rattle around too bad? I have always wondered about how tight the X-5 is once itโ€™s pinned in.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I have a Curt gooseneck turn-over hitch and my X5 has no rattles, it's tight. No problems with the X5 other than its HEAVY but they are limited to 20k which is well within the range of most 5ers.
Now several years back I had a Reese 16K and that "pos " rattled, clanged,banged like nobodys business. The jaws were so sloppily made they ovaled out in less than maybe 2000 miles

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
sayoung wrote:
gdweb wrote:
I like it. seems like it has a tighter fit around the pin. and it doesn't have all the popping sounds of the old reese either. mine is the patriot slider, it slides alot smoother too.

I have a 18k Patriot & use it with a Curt X-5 rail that mounts in my turnover ball hole. I got my flame suit on, I pulled twice this month and like it. Sold my latest generation Andersen due to my knee.
I install/remove everything as one piece with my Kubota tractors front end loader , my knees just won't take getting in my pu bed .

Does the Curt X-5 rails rattle around too bad? I have always wondered about how tight the X-5 is once itโ€™s pinned in.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
gdweb wrote:
I like it. seems like it has a tighter fit around the pin. and it doesn't have all the popping sounds of the old reese either. mine is the patriot slider, it slides alot smoother too.

I have a 18k Patriot & use it with a Curt X-5 rail that mounts in my turnover ball hole. I got my flame suit on, I pulled twice this month and like it. Sold my latest generation Andersen due to my knee.
I install/remove everything as one piece with my Kubota tractors front end loader , my knees just won't take getting in my pu bed .

doc12
Explorer
Explorer
That is why they are called ISR, "Industry Standard Rails"!
2018 Silver Ram 3500 CC, DRW LB, Laramie, Bed Camera, Cummins HO, Aisin Trans, B&W Companion, 46gal Aux tank, Line-X
2018 Open Range 3X 388RKS, Onan 5500, MORryde 8K IS & Kodiak Disc Brakes

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
When we knew we were going to be buying a heavier trailer, we knew we had to upgrade our 16K Husky hitch. I bought the B&W 18K Patriot. It fit nice, but tight, onto the older Husky rails. We didn't need to modify anything other than play with the correct hitch height for a level ride....which was easy. We love our B&W Patriot.

I like how it is 2 pieces, which makes it easy to take out of the truck...the Husky was one piece and heavy.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I had Reese rails and 2 different Reese hitches with the last one being a 16k. Got a new rig which is heavier and upgraded hitch to a B&W 18k Patriot. The B&W fits right into the Reese rails. When we got the dually, it didn't come w/ the 5th wheel prep/puck so I went w/B&W rails. IMO, the B&W rails are much more beefier than the Reese ones on old truck. As for the Patriot, one of the BEST investments I made for a 5th wheel hitch. Old Reese still in shed.l
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only real reason to change rails is because you like grey better than black.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
take a look at the 18k patriot...less bolts on the base. I had one on my last truck and really liked it.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others. My Patriot 16K (bought on the recommendation from MFL-Jerry) last Spring is a purchase I'm very happy I made. Easy, reliable, no issues whatsoever.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anything B&W is Top Cabin! Yes there is still quality in the RV industry.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a Patriot sitting on Drawtite/Reese rails. Love my Patriot .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You will be happy with the Patriot, it is a solid hitch, that is very user friendly. Also once verified, jaws around the pin, handle closed/locked with retaining pin, you are hitched, no way to let go.

Yes, should fit most Reese rails.

Jerry

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

Ex-Halfton_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
gdweb wrote:
i had the reese 16k, switched to the b&w patriot. same rails, no problem. might be a little tighter but nothing to keep it from going in

How do you like the patriot hitch?
The Wife, my 3 boys Joseph(19) Ryder(5) Kade(3)
2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLight 2801WS
Pulled by a 2012 Ford 350 Desiel 4x4