cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel verses travel trailer

Pugman
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't purchased an RV yet, but soon I hope. My question is: Can I carry more weight with a 5th wheel or a travel trailer. Does the location of the hitch change how much weight I can carry?
22 REPLIES 22

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
That Salesman didn't lie, your Duramax could pull anything on the lot. He just didn't tell you that you couldn't carry the pin weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a dealer tell me my truck could pull anything on the lot... I have a Duramax 2500 - he tried to tell me that is was the same as a 1 ton and could pull anything, a dually is only necessary for a in bed camper, a SRW has more payload then a dually due to overall weight of the truck...

Here is the reason Salesmen are bad. They think that because you have the Diesel your payload is not effected by the trucks suspension. I'm sure he would tell me I just need airbags to pull the 40' toy hauler...

Me Again wrote:
C Schomer wrote:
You guys went and scared the OP away! If he comes back ... Shop shop and do more shopping. There's no pat answer when it comes to smaller RVs.

And I would add, DO NOT trust much of what a truck or RV salesman says. I have only found one RV dealer that asked what I had for a tow vehicle, and he was the one selling me a 16K GVWR Bighorn 3575el.

I met 1 RV salesman that that when i was purchasing my KZ Montego Bay Fiver. He told me he wouldn't allow me to purchase it if I was towing with the truck in the parking lot... I had my F150 with me..

When I purchased it, I had to give them my truck specs and sign a form stating that they were my truck specs and i was "OK" on paper to pull the RV...They since closed..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
C Schomer wrote:
You guys went and scared the OP away! If he comes back ... Shop shop and do more shopping. There's no pat answer when it comes to smaller RVs.

And I would add, DO NOT trust much of what a truck or RV salesman says. I have only found one RV dealer that asked what I had for a tow vehicle, and he was the one selling me a 16K GVWR Bighorn 3575el.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
4youngs1 wrote:
I realize your question involves weight, however the difference in towing is significant in my experience. However, we like to go on long trips, and we're on the interstates a lot. I prefer towing a fifth wheel, and I've towed both TT, and fiver cross country. In regards to weight, that's more of a question of what type of tow vehicle you'll be using. I now have a one ton dually, and we love it.

Completly agree. With same truck my current 31ft 5er tows better than prior 21ft bumper pull despite being 4k lbs heavier.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
You can tow a bigger Travel Trailer than 5th wheel while staying within any given trucks ratings.

Longer TT but not necessarily larger. The longer you go on a TT the worse they tow.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

4youngs1
Explorer
Explorer
I realize your question involves weight, however the difference in towing is significant in my experience. However, we like to go on long trips, and we're on the interstates a lot. I prefer towing a fifth wheel, and I've towed both TT, and fiver cross country. In regards to weight, that's more of a question of what type of tow vehicle you'll be using. I now have a one ton dually, and we love it.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Full of Ram parts or adult beverages?? LOL."

Too funny!

The wife likes "ROCKS" as she makes jewelry with real stones. I carry enough tools to repair anything along my travels and enough Carpentry tools to build a house! We use Corell and actual glass to drink out of. I honestly don't know how we have added 6k! The 400# 6500 gen was added after it was weighed at the Factory.

Yea the Liquor Cabinet is full as I like to have what my guests like to drink!

ROFLMAO. You know tho, it is actually funny as to what we all have in our rigs and really don't think anything of the weight until you weigh it. Compared to our old coach, we still don't have everything in the new one as we had in the old one. Sure each one had it's purpose, but the new coach for us anyways is so much nicer and better for our needs. If we deice to full time, I'm sure we'd have even more stuff than we have now, but the coach wouldn't be moving place to place all the time (well at least I don't think).

As one person told me years ago when we 1st got into RVing and weight placement: "A can of beans is a can of beans. Going to weigh the same no matter where you place it, just wether or not it's on the truck side or RV side".
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you asking whether a fiver can carry more stuff than a similar sized TT or are you asking if a pickup can carry more weight on a fifth wheel than it can on a rear ball hitch?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Full of Ram parts or adult beverages?? LOL."

Too funny!

The wife likes "ROCKS" as she makes jewelry with real stones. I carry enough tools to repair anything along my travels and enough Carpentry tools to build a house! We use Corell and actual glass to drink out of. I honestly don't know how we have added 6k! The 400# 6500 gen was added after it was weighed at the Factory.

Yea the Liquor Cabinet is full as I like to have what my guests like to drink!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My RV weighed 18,075# the day it left the factory. Currently it weighs 24,000#.

You tell me!

Full of Ram parts or adult beverages?? LOL. Sorry couldn't resist.

Like Cummins12V here, our coach weighs empty, 14,000 and max weight of 16,000 to which we actually have 1980# of "stuff" in it. Not a whole lot of extras, but 'nuff to get us by for a weeks worth of camping or "clamping".
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of each, modern 5th wheels with 6 point auto leveling our great, easier and quicker to setup and hook up to hit the road. Things like power cord reels are also great. Our 5th wheel is 39'4' and weights 16K, our travel trailer in 27' and weights 8K. Mileage is not that much different towing with the same 2015 3500 SRW RAM 4x4 diesel.

Tell us more about how you want to use a trailer and lots of info will flow.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Can I carry more weight with a 5th wheel or a travel trailer. Does the location of the hitch change how much weight I can carry?

Are you referring to the cargo capacity of the RV or the ability of the tow vehicle?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide