cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel tire review

gusco01
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading on this and other rv forums about replacement 5th wheel tires. I do not want to ever have ST tires again. The size I use is LT235-85-16 E Rated. I found information about the Bridgestone R500HD. I had 5 installed, my weight on the axles is correct for these tires. I had rig weighted when I was going on a trip with all loaded. These are commercial rated tires for work vehicles. Good tread for a trailer tire. I removed the Carlisle tires the trailer came with. Mostly because of there bad failure rate. I have spent too many times on side of interstate changing tires. Yes I have tire pressure monitor system. Anyway I think these tires are worth considering for 5th wheel use. They are poly cord sidewall with steel belts. Reports of them lasting over 100,000 miles. I'm sure they will rot out before I ever were out the tread. I could not find out where they were made before i bought. On side of tire it says made in Japan. The date code was 1120. So the tires are about 1 year old before installed. Dont like that, time will tell. I only have 150 miles on them now. My trailer weight I did not need the all steel that the heavier 5th wheels need. I hope this helped someone looking at 5th wheel tires.
41 REPLIES 41

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Too bad Sailun doesn't make tires for us guys with lighter rigs. I mean, I =could= put 16" wheels on my 10.5k GVW FW and a set of G-rated Sailuns and run them at about 35 psi. 🙂 Shoot, they're so stiff that I could probably run them flat for a long way before they even showed damage.

Lyle

No kidding ,had a road hazard failure on one of my Sailuns, no telling how far I had ran with it flat. At first when I seen it in my mirror thought it was a wheel bearing or the trailer was on fire ,it was smoking that bad. Then I could see little pieces of the tire flying off of it. But to the tires credit it stayed together , not like some of the tires I have seen that come apart ,and tore up the trailer .

But yes ,Its too bad that Sailun does not have good E rated tire for our trailers, and fifth wheels . With its reputation it would be a big seller . Unfortunately we have to settle , no brand mentioned for these inferior tires .

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Too bad Sailun doesn't make tires for us guys with lighter rigs. I mean, I =could= put 16" wheels on my 10.5k GVW FW and a set of G-rated Sailuns and run them at about 35 psi. 🙂 Shoot, they're so stiff that I could probably run them flat for a long way before they even showed damage.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Sailuns from Walmart. Date codes were late 2020 and made in Vietnam.

$740.12 out the door. I'm going to a real non-chain tire store that does heavy trucks to have them mounted today.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
obie311 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Have you looked at, priced the Sailun tires.
Sailun has a pretty good rep with forum members.

The Endurance are proving themselves to be dependable, but probably best suited to lighter trailers.

Jerry

I've read all the good chatter on the Sailuns but the nearest accredited dealer to me is in Tulsa about 100 miles away. I'm also concerned about warranty replacement when I'm far from home. Most likely there will be a Sams Club or Goodyear Commercial dealer not too far away.

You will find a Walmart quicker then those two 🙂 And a much better tire then the one mentioned. Sailun is arguably the best fifth wheel tire available. I wouldn't run anything else.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
obie311 wrote:
It looks like Walmart offers the Sailun for about 900 bucks all up, but do I trust them to install properly? Of course, I'd check the torque myself before leaving and do the re-torque myself.

Take them somewhere else other then Walmart, as I did . If they do them there ,its going to be outside anyway I would think , you could stand right over them to make sure they are done right.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The only thing I'd be worried about with Walmart is if you're planning on having the tires balanced. Many trailers/5th wheels have the lug-centric wheels rather than hub-centric. And most shops aren't set up to balance lug-centric wheels. Trying to balance lug-centric wheels without the adapter will give you out of balance wheels.

I bought my last set from Simple Tire, they were just over 8 months old, sent them back. My first set I had bought from a local dealer on a price match, they were two months old.

After sending this second set back , I ordered another set from Walmart ,delivered to my home. Took them ,and the wheels ,and tires off my fifth wheel to a local dealer. Actually the one I bought my first set from. They had no problem with mounting ,and balancing them . I did give them the opportunity to price match this set, they were unable or unwilling to do so.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I'd be worried about with Walmart is if you're planning on having the tires balanced. Many trailers/5th wheels have the lug-centric wheels rather than hub-centric. And most shops aren't set up to balance lug-centric wheels. Trying to balance lug-centric wheels without the adapter will give you out of balance wheels.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like Walmart offers the Sailun for about 900 bucks all up, but do I trust them to install properly? Of course, I'd check the torque myself before leaving and do the re-torque myself.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider the fact that you can probably replace one of the Sailuns out of your own pocket if it fails, which is unlikely, for less than what you'll pay for the Goodyear G614. It's pretty expensive insurance.

The Goodyear are nearly double the cost of the Sailun.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

The Endurance are proving themselves to be dependable, but probably best suited to lighter trailers.

Jerry

I've read all the good chatter on the Sailuns but the nearest accredited dealer to me is in Tulsa about 100 miles away. I'm also concerned about warranty replacement when I'm far from home. Most likely there will be a Sams Club or Goodyear Commercial dealer not too far away.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Goodyear G614 235/85R16's on my 2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K with a GVWR of 16,600. The date codes are from late 2013 and early 2014. They look OK but.... I was thinking of changing them before hitting the road for any long distances.

I called the local Goodyear Commercial tire store and got a quote of roughly $1800 all up for a set of 14 ply G614's LT's. The next option down were the ST Endurance 10 plies for about $950 all up.

Obviously the 14 plies are the best way to go but I'm not sure I can step up financially. Would I be skating on thin ice with the set of Endurances on my rig?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That size tire I would go GY ENDURANCE. Can’t beat their track record. Made in USA.

Not much tread on our endurance tires. very surprised .

chevman

1/4" or 8/32", yes less than some but i can tell you from daily towing on my Boat trailer for three seasons they barely have worn.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That size tire I would go GY ENDURANCE. Can’t beat their track record. Made in USA.

Not much tread on our endurance tires. very surprised .

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110