cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th. Wheel Stablization

Moomba2002
Explorer
Explorer
We own and live full time in our new Columbus 383FB with the 6 point leveling system. My question is does anyone also use a king pin tri-pod stabilizer or some other form to reduce the amount of movement in the trailer when parked.
2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k hitch
2017 Columbus 383FB
ExtremeAire 150 PSI 100% Duty Cyle on board air w/4gal. tank

2003 Arctic Fox 1150 loaded except solor
15 REPLIES 15

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Dumoldles wrote:
Have the 6 point, don't need anything else.

Dumoldles

That's kinda what I was thinking also!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
If after getting the JT Strong Arm or another similar system and you still have some wiggle issues it should be eliminated by the X Chock system. By blocking your tires with the X Chock blocks it should completely eliminate the wiggle in her walk. If that isn't good enough then just sell the darn thing and buy yourself a condo in Arizona.
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We were using stabilizers for about 5 years when we added the Big Foot Leveling System. We thought we would be able to eliminate our stabilizers but once the BF's were down, we knew we had to keep our stabilizers. 7 years later, we knew we'd made the right decision. Leveling systems do offer some amount of stability but for taking care of front to back and side to side movement, stabilizers are the way to go. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have the pin stabilizer. All it cab do is eliminate side to side movement at the front of the trailer.
For the back of the trailer I use BAL telescoping stabilizers.
I use adjustable chocks between the tires that eliminate fore and aft movement. I use wide wood blocks under any legs for more stability.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^What he said^^^^^^^

We have 2 -6"x6"x24" and 8-2"x10"x16" doubled up so 1 handle per pair and place under the pads. Some could say "what's the point in having the 6pt level up if you do that". Back into site. Chock wheels. Place 2 sets of 2x10's under each front leg & Lower lergs to unhook. Pull truck out. Put remaining 2x10 sets under mid pads and 6x6's under rear pads. Hit auto-level, 1 minute and 15 seconds later all done. Old way, I'd still be hooked to truck getting it level side to side.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with blocks under the pads.I carry 6x6 blocks.Less leg out the better it sets.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We use the tri pod stabilizer. We have two kids and two 65 lb dogs. Works great.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you add blocks under the Jack Pads to limit the amount of jack extension you will eliminate some of the wiggle that comes from the jacks.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
Have the 6 point, don't need anything else.

Dumoldles

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Steadyfast Stabilizers on our 42' FW and they make a big difference in movement. Most notable when the washing machine is running. Took about 3 hours to install and only three handles to activate the stabilizers. Great follow up from the owner as well.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Moomba2002 wrote:
I will have to look into those. I didn't know they had some that would work with the hydraulic leveling system. Would be nice to have permanently attached and not another item to stow away!

They =are= attached. Base bolts to frame, other end pins to the landing gear and/or stabilizer. You loosen the tension screw, move your legs/jacks, tighten the tension screw. Works the same in both directions. Simplified? Yes, but it gives you the picture.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Moomba2002
Explorer
Explorer
I will have to look into those. I didn't know they had some that would work with the hydraulic leveling system. Would be nice to have permanently attached and not another item to stow away!
2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k hitch
2017 Columbus 383FB
ExtremeAire 150 PSI 100% Duty Cyle on board air w/4gal. tank

2003 Arctic Fox 1150 loaded except solor

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Don't waste your $$. Get either the JT Strongarms or the Steadyfast system.

^^This^^
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy of mine had JT's on his Cedar Creek w/ the 6 pt level up. Said it worked well. Our Big Country has some wiggle w/ the 6 pt, but don't feel it's as bad as we had on old coach before we installed the JT's.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"