cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel purchase pitfalls???

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
First time buyer! Am considering purchasing a 41 foot 2017 fifth wheel from owner. What should I be aware of and how do I handle the exchange of monies?
The price issue is not a problem but the process is unknown to me. Ahy advise would surely be appreciated.
Kennyg
17 REPLIES 17

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Having just sold an Alping, a top of the line 5th wheel recently I can tell you this: check it over thoroughly, have the owner run all the systems to your satisfaction and show you how to operate them. Inspect all outsides of the rv including the roof and the undercarriage. Look for signs of recent work on the rv, leaks from the water, holding tanks, hydraulics, etc. Check the tires for dry rot and tread. Other than these things it should be straight forward, enjoy your purchase, enjoy your rv. We enjoyed over 20 years of rving.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I did wrong when purchasing my 5th wheel was not having it inspected. There are mobile inspectors or you can take it to a local repair shop to inspect - if the seller won't allow you to do this, then there is something wrong with it and you are better off. You probably have to put money down, might be non refundable, but piece of mind is worth something.

As for payment, if your not paying cash, then the bank you are borrowing money from should be able to help. They do this all the time.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Forty-one feet is a heck of a purchase for a first time buyer. Iโ€™d complete the deal at my bank or CU for safety. Is the 5er registered in your state?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad