cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel Hitch recommendations

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
We have just purchased a Grand Design 260RD 5th wheel. The GVWR is 10,000 lbs. We are looking for recommendations for a hitch Our truck is a RAM 2500 Hemi, Our Dodge dealer is installing a puck system in the truck bed tomorrow. Any recommendations as to hitch brand and size are appreciated. We will be picking up the trailer this weekend
Ted and Kath
2021 Grand Design Reflection 260 RD 150 Series
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies
25 REPLIES 25

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Short box I would go with a auto slider. I've had 3 mega cabs and used the Pullrite Auto Slide. Yes it is heavy but you never have to worry about hitting your cab in a turn. No matter how much room you have, there will be a time when the cards will be right and it will happen. Just piece of mind.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any good quality standard hitch, designed for direct fit to pucks will work. I'd suggest a 16K rated, or higher rated hitch. A 16K rated hitch will handle any FW your truck is capable of carrying, or pulling.

The B&W 3600 is a good hitch for the OEM Ram puck system, and looks similar to the Ford version pictured.

Single point attachment hitches are normally not recommended with the rotating pin boxes. These are the ones that attach to the center ball.

Jerry

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
I have RAM 2500 Short bed and installed a DEMCO 18K Autoslider. Never have to worry about hitting the cab with the 5er. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
What model Curt hitch did you have? A25 or the Q25?
Ted and Kath
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BW in my F-250 that I really like. Very solid unit with no clunking at all. It can be removed and replaced in two sections. I believe that Turning Point swivel pinbox has a wedge that keys into the back of the hitch to prevent the pin from turning in the hitchโ€ฆ.so check with the hitch manufacturer to make sure it is compatible.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ram 2500 short bed with pucks. First hitch was a Curt 20K from ETrailer. It was not a slider. Had slider in previous GMC short bed and never slid it. Well I hit the cab. Appears the RAM bed is a bit shorter (at least from the axle to back of cab. There was no problem with Curt hitch, just didn't slide.

Next, purchased a Demco auto-slider from Etrailer. No worries now.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I'm not familiar with that pin box. It sounds like it has a lot going on. So, I would probably stay with a conventional 5th wheel hitch. Check out etrailer.com for makes/models that will fit your OEM pucks. Hopefully, someone with your same setup will comment on this thread and share their experiences.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
OEM 5 hole, Trailer has Turning point swivel pin box - 90 degree radius without a slider hitch in a 5.5 ft truck bed
Ted and Kath
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
2500 4 door Crew cab, 4x4, shortbed, Hemi engine
Ted and Kath
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck is a shortbed
Ted and Kath
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Long or short bed? You're going to get a lot of opinions here: Slider vs. non-slider, gooseneck, Andersen, conventional 5th wheel hitch, etc.). What kind of puck system is being installed? Is it just for a gooseneck (like a B&W turnover) or is it more like an OEM puck system with 5 holes?

Personally, I have owned a Pullrite Superglide and now use an Andersen Ultimate Hitch and I love it. Easy to get in/out, quiet and solid operation and if you have a short bed, it can give you more cab clearance potentially avoiding a slider hitch.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L