cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel hitch or gooseneck for new 5er

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
New to 5th wheels, not new to RVing (2 diesel pushers a few years ago).
We are in the process of buying a 2022 Solitude (40') 378MBS. We just purchased a 2019 Dodge Laramie 3500 dually with 8' bed.
The pickup has a ball for a gooseneck.
So my question is, should we go with a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch?
Pros and cons for each. Not too concerned with cost differential.
I'm not sure about terminology, but I think the pickup has the "puck" system. There are 4 holes in the bed surrounding the ball.
As you can see, I'm a real newbie to hitches.
Thanks in advance for all inputs.
BTW, we are selling the house and going fulltime RV.

Edit: After reading thru some related topics, I assume I have the puck system and should go the 5th wheel hitch route instead of the gooseneck.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
31 REPLIES 31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI the owner of PullRite and B&W are good friends. Nice they are still making their products right here!!!

You possible have wondered why B&W has not made an auto slide? Now you know.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did a search. From IRV2 Forum.

"I recently purchased a REESE R20 Titan fifth wheel hitch. In the owners manual it sais it was printed in China. I called REESE and found out that most of their fiver hitches are made in Mexico but the head for this one was made in China. The first Reese guy I talked with said they would not tell me where there stuff was made and that I should just trust the REESE name. A later call got the information for me. Had I known this before buying I would have probably gone with the Pullrite ISR or waited for the B&W RAM OEM both of which are completely USA."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
Suggest you take a careful look at the Reese M5 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch for Ram Towing Prep Package - Single Jaw - 27,000 lbs.

If you look at how the head is attached to the base you will not see the tall vertical posts that B&W uses.

Click For Full-Size Image.">Reese M%

Does it have the head pivot point several inched below the kingpin connection like the Chinese Made CURT does that is known for causing chucking?

Where is that REESE made?

If you took the time to lookup the Reese hitch you would find the pivot point is virtually in line with the king pin.

Click For Full-Size Image.">pivot point

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
Hitches generally come in two styles, soft joint hitches (air hitches) and solid hitches. There are also variations of pin boxes. My guess is your Solitude will come with a MORryde pin box which is designed to quell chucking forces, a fine product.

I would suggest you consider how you will use your trailer as you full time. If you are going to pull it south in the winter and park it, then north in the summer and park it, then a solid hitch would be fine. If you are planning to tote the trailer all over the country, then an air hitch would be worth the additional cost. The air hitch will provide towing comfort, additional safety, less driver fatigue, and shock protection for both your trailer and truck.

My suggestions: Solid hitch - B&W Companion per above posts. Air hitch, Trailer Saver BD5 set up for your puck system.

Congratulations on your new trailer.

You've convinced us. We plan to have 1200 watts of solar installed so we can do a LOT of boondocking (we will do some staying in RV parks but don't care for "no elbow room"). So the BD5 sounds ideal for us.
Will we be able to get the Solitude level for towing with that hitch?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:
Suggest you take a careful look at the Reese M5 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch for Ram Towing Prep Package - Single Jaw - 27,000 lbs.

If you look at how the head is attached to the base you will not see the tall vertical posts that B&W uses.

Does it have the head pivot point several inched below the kingpin connection like the Chinese Made CURT does that is known for causing chucking?

Where is that REESE made?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
MFL wrote:
Yes, a good quality FW hitch for OEM pucks is what you need.

Here is the one you need. B&W 3600... See it, read about it, at E-trailer.

Jerry

X2... Easy to use, SOLID...

Simple, solid and no question if you are hitched or not!!! OH yea 100% Made In USA.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:
Check with trailer warranty, some don't cover with a goose neck.

^ This. No. 1 reason to not go with the gooseneck.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Look at the Reese Goose Box. It's probably approved by Lippert for use with your frame. It has an air ride with 2 shocks which gives ours a really nice ride. Nothing but a small ball to deal with when you unhook.

Another option is a Trailer Saver conventional style hitch with an air ride. We've had one of those also and they work as advertised. We've also had a B&W. A very good hitch. Lot's of choices, mostly good.

I highly recommend the TrailerSaver BD3 or BD5 - the name says it all!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Hitches generally come in two styles, soft joint hitches (air hitches) and solid hitches. There are also variations of pin boxes. My guess is your Solitude will come with a MORryde pin box which is designed to quell chucking forces, a fine product.

I would suggest you consider how you will use your trailer as you full time. If you are going to pull it south in the winter and park it, then north in the summer and park it, then a solid hitch would be fine. If you are planning to tote the trailer all over the country, then an air hitch would be worth the additional cost. The air hitch will provide towing comfort, additional safety, less driver fatigue, and shock protection for both your trailer and truck.

My suggestions: Solid hitch - B&W Companion per above posts. Air hitch, Trailer Saver BD5 set up for your puck system.

Congratulations on your new trailer.

MFL wrote:
Yes, a good quality FW hitch for OEM pucks is what you need.

Here is the one you need. B&W 3600... See it, read about it, at E-trailer.

Jerry

X2... Easy to use, SOLID...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
I have an adapter, I think Curt, that attaches to the ball (B&W). My old hitch (regular 5th wheel hitch) sits on the adapter. "Not my first camper". I have traveled all over the US and Canada with no problems!(eight years) Dealer installed with new 2017 Montana on 2012 Duramax which I had just purchased used and then purchased the camper. Just my experience!!! Good luck!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Many people do like a gooseneck hitch. But if you do choose that then go with the Goosebox as it is approved by Lippert so as not to be a problem with frame warranty. You do have to use safety chains with gooseneck hitches in some states since it is a ball hitch. And they are a little bit harder to hookup since you have to be more precise in the alignment of the ball and hitch.

Most people use a conventional 5th wheel hitch. The air ride hitches are considered the best as far as ride since they they have air bags to soften the road shock. Downside is the costs. Some use a standard hitch with an air ride pin box to soften the road shock. Less expensive than the air ride hitch.

As far a 5th wheel hitches, each brand has their fans. B&W, Reese, Pullrite, Curt, etc. All are good hitches and you can't go wrong with any of them as long as you don't go with their lowest price models. Hookup is easier than a gooseneck since the 5th wheel hitch is self aligning. If you are within an inch or so the pin will slide into the hitch slot and stop when it is fully in.

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Reese Goose Box. It's probably approved by Lippert for use with your frame. It has an air ride with 2 shocks which gives ours a really nice ride. Nothing but a small ball to deal with when you unhook.

Another option is a Trailer Saver conventional style hitch with an air ride. We've had one of those also and they work as advertised. We've also had a B&W. A very good hitch. Lot's of choices, mostly good.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A ball that sits at bed level will apply a great deal of leverage to the trailer frame. A 5th wheel hitch sits 12-18" above the bed reducing the lever arm formed.

The trailer may or may not handle it but it will certainly put more stress on the frame.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV