cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel front tripod

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
We're currently staying at an rv park and while walking around I notice out of 100+ 5ers 2 have what looks like a support tripod under the kingpin.
What is the purpose of it when you already have 4 or 6 jacks plus the tires on the ground?
Just say no to the payload police :C
30 REPLIES 30

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use mine if staying in the same place for more than a couple nights. I don't have a 6 point leveling system, just the landing gear and 2 cheap scissor jacks in the back. We still have movement, but it works, you can tell the difference. It came with the RV so why not use it.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses guys, I was just curious.
General consensus = waste of $$.
Just say no to the payload police :C

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
All jacks on ground the wheels do not bounce. YES the RV can have some lateral movement. MobileSuites rams have a 5 degree slant out at the bottom helping with this. All six jacks on the ground along with my boxes under each jack my 24k RV is VERY stable.

Assuming a relatively long trailer with 4 stabilizers on the corner, the frame will flex enough in the center that you can feel it. This is why many of the larger trailers have gone to the 6 stabilizer approach. It puts one close to the axles to stop that flexing.

actualy there are measurments on weather you need 4 or 6 from the maker of ground control. surprising enough mine measures long enough for 6 (39.5 feet) but only had 4 and its rock solid.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We tried one for a time and finally decided it was not worth the effort. I tried to sell it but wound up giving it away to a noobie to try out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
With the cheap lightweight frames that are now installed by manufactures, I think any support you put under the pin can only help when you're using the trailer while unhooked.
HTML

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
MORryde now sells a unit similar to that Valterra unit, but inserts into the rear Receiver Hitch
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just an aside: we use the back ramp door as a patio quite frequently and since the rear jacks of the 6 point level system is just to the rear of the tires, there is a fair amount of movement when we're back on the "patio". We got one of those Valterra stabilizers: Valterra Stabilizer . While they look really chintzy, they do an admirable job of taking the movement out when we're back on the "patio".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
All jacks on ground the wheels do not bounce. YES the RV can have some lateral movement. MobileSuites rams have a 5 degree slant out at the bottom helping with this. All six jacks on the ground along with my boxes under each jack my 24k RV is VERY stable.

Assuming a relatively long trailer with 4 stabilizers on the corner, the frame will flex enough in the center that you can feel it. This is why many of the larger trailers have gone to the 6 stabilizer approach. It puts one close to the axles to stop that flexing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
my old 5th I had one and it helped but it had the rear stabalizer jacks like the cheep campers had 15 years ago. my new 5th has the auto leavling system, so more heavy duity linera jacks front and rear and is pretty much rock solid when set up. the tripod worked on my old 5th but the new one it didnt make a difference. so it got given away. if your back end is solid but the bedroom area moves you have other issues.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We used to have one and it helped but it was a hassle for shorter stays as you would have to pull it out and then store it.

A bit more expensive but the JT strongarms (or clones) are more effective and less effort.

As to why:
- Wheels are on springs, so they will still allow bouncing.
- Simple vertical stablizers can only provide resistance to vertical motion. Side to side and front to back motion is unchecked. Adding a device that resists side to side and front to back will take a lot more of the motion out.

PS: As much as people like to claim rock solid, there will always be a little movement.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
larry barnhart wrote:
You didn't want the tripod I tried to give you so after your comment was put it out front and have a FREE sign it was gone the 2nd night.

chevman retired from Rving again

Back when they were more popular I set mine out front of the trailer with $60 sign on it. Sold in an hour. And still lost half my money.

With basic front jacks and rear stabilizers they help a little. Emphasize little. Sold mine when I installed JT Strongarms.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
They are great to support a flag pole under.. Thats it

I could think of cheaper flagpole holders! LOL

RE: the question about supporting the front end in the event of front leg failure, the tri-pod would be toasted! I agree w/ others on this point.

You want stability and don't have 6pt level up, go w/ JT Strongarms
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have one years ago before automatic levelers. It did seem to help some but itโ€™s long gone now.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel