cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel frame recall repair

TorQ
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2001 National Palisades trailer that is in excellent condition. Unfortunatly, just before purchase we discovered that there was a recall on this model for the following:

"THE TRAILER PIN BOX STEEL STRUCTURE COULD FAIL AT THE WELDS OR TUBULAR STEEL STRUCTURE DUE TO FATIGUE.

Hazard: THIS COULD LEAD TO SEPARATION OF THE STEEL TUBES COMPRISING THE GOOSENECK AND PARTIAL OR COMPLETE DETACHMENT OF THE PIN BOX CONNECTION BETWEEN THE TOW VEHICLE AND THE FIFTH WHEEL GOOSENECK STEEL STRUCTURE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REINFORCE THE GOOSENECK STRUCTURAL STEEL ASSEMBLY."

I am not familiar with the the structure of a 5th wheel frame so I am having a hard time understanding the severity of this issue and if it can be repaired for a reasonable price. We are calling dealerships for their input and quotes but I thought it would be wise to seek your help in understanding this issue. Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
My question would be what is the date of the recall, (ie, 2004, 05) it is 18 years old, And maybe it has already been repaired. Could have it inspected by a reputable person.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Same problems that happen today. Pick your poison
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have to ask how serious the problem really is if a trailer almost 20 years old has not had a problem.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just my interpretation, but it seems to me, they are referring to the FW overhang frame work/tubing, that the pin box is attached to. I would not trust this job to an RV dealer, but maybe a trailer manufacturer/repair shop with qualified welders. Unless it is a great buy, and you understand the risk, I'd walk away.

Jerry

TorQ
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the gist of your comment for sure. "Don't even bother" However, I'd still like to at least know what the "gooseneck" is in this recall posting. Whenever I look up the word gooseneck in regards to 5th wheels the search results only pertain to gooseneck hitches. So, what is exactly the problem? Is it just the pinbox or is it the frame?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run, don't walk away. There are too many good 5th wheels out there to buy one that has to be "made right". I would feel that if this portion of the 5th wheel has to be repaired, then it possible there are other parts that will need it but don't fail often enough to be recalled. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, or a five foot Slav. Har, har. Seriously, I would keep looking, there's lots of 5th wheels out there.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"