cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone advise what hitch options would work well with the following setup?

Truck is a 2019 MegaCab Dually with 6'4" bed, and factory prep for 5th wheel/Gooseneck.

5th wheel being considered is a GD Solitude 310GK.

My knowledge in this area is very minimal! I only know that some hitches can work with my truck 5th wheel prep and some can't. I also know that the king pin/box on the 5th wheel may be changed to aid turning with the short box of the truck. Lastly, I understand that some setups don't have the ability to deal very well with lateral movement between truck and 5th wheel - creating a lot of stress on the hitch interface?

Whatever knowledge and recommendation you can offer would be much appreciated.
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
99 REPLIES 99

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
SO, with the Anderson rail mount, you can set the mount to some determined (but adjustable) distance back from the truck rear window, which pretty much ensures that the front cap won't hit the rear window in tight turns?

Is it light weight enough that someone who isn't "superman" can remove it from the truck, and re-install without requiring help?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Another vote for the Pullrite Auto Slider OE Puck mount. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I love mine, and don't ever have to wonder if it will or will not hit the cab of the truck. Only thing I wish is that the capture plate mounted to the hitch, like the Demco and not to the Kingpin. But that's not a big deal really.

It's a heavy hitch... 300lbs, but worth it in my opinion.

Mike

Great way to go. Although I have a friend that got a bit tired of messing with it, they are a bit fussy about that angle you are at getting then hooked up ,and unhooked. They don't don't come undone he said at too much of an angle. He went to the Andersen rail mount seems to be a bit more happy with that.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
So In a NUT SHELL - - -

SOME are passionate about their B & W
SOME are passionate about their Anderson
SOME are passionate about their Superglide - ( ME ! ! )

It does NOT make any of them better than the other, it's all personal Preference..That is if used correctly.

In a NUT SHELL . Not sure I am passionate about a hitch. ๐Ÿ™‚ What I am passionate about is stating the facts ,and not just throwing stuff out there .

Personal preference the Reese 18k manual slider that I also tow with. Got the Andersen for just a Montana trip in the summer to remove easily. Those sliders are heavy, the Andersen eliminates messing with having to take apart or get help taking that Reese out. Rest of my trips I prefer the Reese.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the Pullrite Auto Slider OE Puck mount. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I love mine, and don't ever have to wonder if it will or will not hit the cab of the truck. Only thing I wish is that the capture plate mounted to the hitch, like the Demco and not to the Kingpin. But that's not a big deal really.

It's a heavy hitch... 300lbs, but worth it in my opinion.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

So In a NUT SHELL - - -

SOME are passionate about their B & W
SOME are passionate about their Anderson
SOME are passionate about their Superglide - ( ME ! ! )

It does NOT make any of them better than the other, it's all personal Preference..That is if used correctly.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DesertDogs wrote:

SO, if I'm reading this right, the rail-mount Anderson would be a good choice, only if the 5th wheel front cap is rounded enough to not impact the truck rear window? Is the rail-mount a manual slider?

But, if the front cap is rounded enough to prevent impact in tight turns, a slider wouldn't be needed anyway, right?

No the rail mount is not a slider . I have looked at your fifth wheel online , and the corners are round like many are. The rail mount Andersen is designed along with the adapter , to be run in different positions for a short bed or long bed . You will not be hitting your window if its ran like mine is with my Megacab. But you can if you work at it ,and not pay attention ,you can do the same thing with a long bed . If worried get an auto slide hitch, pretty sure I posted what you can do there also, a lot more money ,but still a good choice . To answer your question many tow without a slider, but you can't think because those corners are rounded off ,you can't hit, you can.

I have towed many miles with that Andersen, as many have also. Its your choice.

There are three bedrail adapters , I call them picture frames that can be bought to attach the Andersen or another rail mount hitch too. The adapter mounts to your OE puck system on that Ram . There are many out there manual sliders ,auto sliders ,the Andersen . The list goes on .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why in the HE11 should one have to put a stall Matt under the hitch to keep it from damaging the bed???

I know two people that sell the Andersen, they BOTH have bed damage from the ANDERSEN ULTIMATE. One went to a Matt he other just deals with it.

ANDERSEN could cure this by providing shims. Instead they tell customers to buy a thick Matt for the bed.

Sad!

You know one from the diesel forum, not personally, and he did not set it up right in the first place, again lets get ALL the facts out. He was warned about the possibility, and he ignored it, and then went to some preventative measures. Fact Ron ,Facts .

You ask why, same reason B&W had to go to shims to prevent bed damage ,again the facts. I agree 100% Andersen should provide shims, but it still doesn't change the fact that bed deflection CAN be prevented. The one thing it would do for sure is quiet down these kind of threads , It could also be quieted down if just the facts were put out there instead of just a blanket statement like you did above. There is no reason not too. Then let someone decide.

Ron come on, just put all the facts out there instead of just discrediting something that you have read about or seen. I don't like the gooseneck attachment hitch that Andersen has, don't like the one point attachment at all, B&W or Andersen . IMO four point attachment is the only way to go, the rail mount Andersen is an excellent hitch. But regardless many of those Andersen gooseneck attached hitches are out there, and many are happy with them .

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:
DesertDogs wrote:
Sounds to me like the Anderson is far from the best choices out there?

For your use, no not the best choice. Also, Andersen does not make a direct fit to the puck system. The best Andersen hitch uses the rail mount system, with 4-point attachment.

Jerry

I agree, but the facts still need to be said ,instead of just bashing the hitch. The rail mount IMO is the better of the two.

With his Megacab the rail mount Andersen is the best choice going that route, thats what I tow with, and not an issue with clearance, chucking ,and all the other nonsense some would like you believe.

Most likely with his choice of fifth wheel the front corners are probably more rounded then my older fifth wheel, although the corners are rounded. They are building more that way because of the high number of people preferring short bed 1 ton crew cab trucks for towing fifth wheels. Getting more popular as time goes on. The OP is going with a short bed. Yes the rail mount Andersen would be an EXCELLENT choice.

SO, if I'm reading this right, the rail-mount Anderson would be a good choice, only if the 5th wheel front cap is rounded enough to not impact the truck rear window? Is the rail-mount a manual slider?

But, if the front cap is rounded enough to prevent impact in tight turns, a slider wouldn't be needed anyway, right?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
DesertDogs wrote:

For your use, no not the best choice. Also, Andersen does not make a direct fit to the puck system. The best Andersen hitch uses the rail mount system, with 4-point attachment.

Jerry

I agree, but the facts still need to be said ,instead of just bashing the hitch. The rail mount IMO is the better of the two.

With his Megacab the rail mount Andersen is the best choice going that route, thats what I tow with, and not an issue with clearance, chucking ,and all the other nonsense some would like you believe.

Most likely with his choice of fifth wheel the front corners are probably more rounded then my older fifth wheel, although the corners are rounded. They are building more that way because of the high number of people preferring short bed 1 ton crew cab trucks for towing fifth wheels. Getting more popular as time goes on. The OP is going with a short bed. Yes the rail mount Andersen would be an EXCELLENT choice.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
DesertDogs wrote:

Jerry

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why in the HE11 should one have to put a stall Matt under the hitch to keep it from damaging the bed???

I know two people that sell the Andersen, they BOTH have bed damage from the ANDERSEN ULTIMATE. One went to a Matt he other just deals with it.

ANDERSEN could cure this by providing shims. Instead they tell customers to buy a thick Matt for the bed.

Sad!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Etstorm wrote:
Or Andersen Ultimate

Not a good choice, he has a Dually and will be towing a heavier RV. This grantees bed deflection.

It does not guarantee bed deflection if setup right. All facts need to be said.

There are torquing procedures , rubber mat ,shims etc that prevent any bed deflection. Please add these to your post ,instead of just these one line blanket statements .

Can the Andersen cause bed deflection ,yes, can it it be prevented ,yes .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Etstorm wrote:
Or Andersen Ultimate

Not a good choice, he has a Dually and will be towing a heavier RV. This grantees bed deflection.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

frizfreleng
Explorer
Explorer
Can suggest what not to buy and that is a gooseneck with your 6'4" bed. I have had 3 5th wheels. The first 2 were pulled by a long (standard) bed truck. Both had gooseneck hitches with a retractable ball in the bed. Loved them. Open bed when detatched, easy to hook/unhook. I could turn the trailer perpendicular to the truck without a problem. No worry about hitting the rails. This truck is a short bed with a retractable gooseneck ball. I now have a dimple in each rear corner of the cab. I am lucky I did not shatter the rear window. You just do not have the turning angle with the short bed/gooseneck arrangement. . Danger!