cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5500 gen service

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
I decided for the first time to check the oil. Once I put the stick back in, the light on the switch inside the coach started to flash 3x. Service required. Gen only has 11 hrs on it in less than a years time. I dont have plans on chaging yet.

How do I reset the light?
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups
7 REPLIES 7

Y-Guy
Don't feel bad I would think most 5500 owners have experienced that too. Took me hours to figure out the generator has breakers of its own.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
So I checked. Turned out of the breakers at the gen popped. I must have hit by accident when I had the cover off.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
michaelhebert1986 wrote:
I haven't had that problem. My problam with the Onan 5500 Marquis Gold onboard generator is that with the cover on and the latch closed, the generator runs for 20 minutes and then shuts off. After 30 minutes or longer, it will start back up and do the same thing, over and over again.

It does this with a load or not and either plugged in to the 50 amp receptacle or not.

Today I tried taking the cover off and leaving the hatch open and it has been running for 55 minutes at the time of this post without any problems (I have the front AC on, several lights turned on, and a box fan plugged in.

Not really sure what the problem is now. At first I thought it may be a fuel issue. Maybe the fuel pump gone bad or a crack in a fuel line. But since it was ran now for twice the length it was before I purchased the motorhome (2 weeks ago), I am stumped.

Any suggestions?

The cover on the generator MUST be on, it helps direct the air from under the rig. The outer door is just cosmetic, have you checked that the cooling ducts under the generator are clear? Sometimes they don't cut out all the floor.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

michaelhebert19
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had that problem. My problam with the Onan 5500 Marquis Gold onboard generator is that with the cover on and the latch closed, the generator runs for 20 minutes and then shuts off. After 30 minutes or longer, it will start back up and do the same thing, over and over again.

It does this with a load or not and either plugged in to the 50 amp receptacle or not.

Today I tried taking the cover off and leaving the hatch open and it has been running for 55 minutes at the time of this post without any problems (I have the front AC on, several lights turned on, and a box fan plugged in.

Not really sure what the problem is now. At first I thought it may be a fuel issue. Maybe the fuel pump gone bad or a crack in a fuel line. But since it was ran now for twice the length it was before I purchased the motorhome (2 weeks ago), I am stumped.

Any suggestions?

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
not seen that before.

I'd disconnect all power and let the computer reset, then try again. Remember the 3 flashes just means there's a fault, you have to retrieve the code for the remaining flashes
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
Not sure if your 5500 is the carb or fuel injected model.
unscrewing the dip stick checking oil level and re-screwing it back in wouldn't cause any fault codes on either model.
Unless you're low on oil ?, Have seen a riding buddy that forgot to screw oilcap/dipstick back in and lost a considerable amount of oil to trip the low oil warning code.

Might want to check and make sure you didn't dislodge/disturb any wires/hoses/levers, its easy to do..?

"Three blinks indicates a service fault.
Press Stop once to cause the two-digit, second level fault code to blink.
(Pressing Stop again will stop the blinking.)
The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blinks, a brief pause, and then 1 to 9 blinks.
The first set of blinks represents the tens digit
and the second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number.
For example, Fault Code No. 36 appears as:
blink-blink-blinkโ€”pauseโ€”blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blinkโ€” long pauseโ€”repeat"

Should be in your manual with a list of fault codes... if not see the other recent thread on Onan 5500. I posted a site that has the manual there.

Thanks for this info. I thought for sure I would've gotten more responses. Being that generators are in almost every TH. Figured more people would've come across this issue.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if your 5500 is the carb or fuel injected model.
unscrewing the dip stick checking oil level and re-screwing it back in wouldn't cause any fault codes on either model.
Unless you're low on oil ?, Have seen a riding buddy that forgot to screw oilcap/dipstick back in and lost a considerable amount of oil to trip the low oil warning code.

Might want to check and make sure you didn't dislodge/disturb any wires/hoses/levers, its easy to do..?

"Three blinks indicates a service fault.
Press Stop once to cause the two-digit, second level fault code to blink.
(Pressing Stop again will stop the blinking.)
The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blinks, a brief pause, and then 1 to 9 blinks.
The first set of blinks represents the tens digit
and the second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number.
For example, Fault Code No. 36 appears as:
blink-blink-blinkโ€”pauseโ€”blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blinkโ€” long pauseโ€”repeat"

Should be in your manual with a list of fault codes... if not see the other recent thread on Onan 5500. I posted a site that has the manual there.
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum