cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3M Crystaline Window film vs Double Pane Windows

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at the Grand Design Momentums. It seems most dealers don't order stock units with double pane windows. I know that window film like 3m Crystaline has a really good Solar Heat Rejection factor i.e. it really cuts down on the heat coming in.

Aside from the extra noise insulation from dual panes, is there any downside to just buying a trailer with single pane windows and adding window film to control the heat?

We're primarily going to be using the trailer during the summers when the kids are out of school. So we're not as worried about the insulating factor during the cold season.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
19 REPLIES 19

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lexx wrote:
So at this point if I can get a better deal on dealer in stock units despite not having double pane windows, at least I can add the window film afterwards.

The 3M film isn't cheaper and you think you will get a better deal buying dealer stock. That is what the dealer wants, someone buying on emotion, that 'new car smell' rather than buying ONLY based on the numbers on the deal. I have ordered units and known dealer cost for every option I ordered. I've also seen dealers use false MSRP's to make their deal look unbeatable.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Insulation is insulation doesn't matter if it's hot or cold.

Remember the most amazing invention is the thermo-bottle. How does it know to keep hot items hot and cold items cold??? , , , , , :h
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the useful testimonials! I had not made up my mind one way or the other, but the smaller air gap in rv windows does make sense. The noise issue is a significant issue, but I can put up with noise more than heat. I just hate it when it's is too warm inside So at this point if I can get a better deal on dealer in stock units despite not having double pane windows, at least I can add the window film afterwards.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Crystalline tint on my pick up windows and it works GREAT at heat rejection. Can put back of hand next to driver's window and yes it's warm, but doable. Do the same thing w/ the windshield and about burn hand!. Nice thing about the Crystalline is that's a clear tint (albeit some darkness) that offers that same amount of heat/UV etc protection as the dark tint and it's hard to notice that it's on the windows of truck. Here in NY, not supposed to have anything pretty much on doors as 70% light has to x-fer in This basically means factory glass all the way around. Dark back windows from factory are ok. There are a couple things you can do to allow the use of it, but need a Dr note and all to have windows tinted. 3M offers a light tint Crystalline that has UV protection (cannot recall at this typing about heat rejection) and when applied to vehicles is legal. My tint is just a RCH over legal or like 67%. Am considering replacing my dark tint from box store on semi w/ the 3M stuff. Well worth it IMO---Crystalline that is.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
waltbennett wrote:
Dual and triple pane windows in homes have an air gap of roughly 1/2 inch in order to provide meaningful insulation. Dual pane windows for RVs do NOT have enough air gap to provide anything close to the same. Their nothing but hype and a way to get more money out of a buyer. Better to use film if you want to see through them and cut Mylar bubble insulation (two layer is best) to fit your windows if you want max. insulation. Cost you a whole heck of a lot less!

I agree... sort of. While RV dual pane windows have a low R-value compared to those in a house, they still provide some extra insulation. Where they are most useful is in preventing condensation and reducing noise.

The 3M crystalline film is heads and shoulders above previous film technology - and doesn't interfere with cell phones, TV, Wi-Fi, etc., like the metallic films do. The 3M crystalline film for our fifth wheel cost $1,550 installed - about $200 more than dual pane windows would have from the factory (and the dual pane windows would have added 300 lbs. to the rig - contrary to a previous post). The crystalline film is MUCH better at heat rejection than dual pane windows - slightly less so with cold in the winter. We still have Reflectix ("bubble foil") insulation panels cut to fit the big windows that we use in extremely cold weather.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Dual and triple pane windows in homes have an air gap of roughly 1/2 inch in order to provide meaningful insulation. Dual pane windows for RVs do NOT have enough air gap to provide anything close to the same. Their nothing but hype and a way to get more money out of a buyer. Better to use film if you want to see through them and cut Mylar bubble insulation (two layer is best) to fit your windows if you want max. insulation. Cost you a whole heck of a lot less!
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Lexx wrote:
I forgot to mention that our house has the "strongest" gas filled double pane windows. We get 110F summers here. I found that even with these "heavy duty" double pane windows, the hot sun still just streams through STRONGLY. It wasn't until we put the mesh sun screen material mounted outside of the windows that we could tolerate the amount of heat transmitted through the glass.

I've seen the Huper Optik window film demonstration where they put a heat lamp on the other side of a coated piece of glass. The amount of heat that it cuts down is most impressive.

I understand about the noise issue with double panes. But with double panes, window film will void the warranty because the heat rejection of the film will expand the gas between the panes and blow the seals.

Being that I'm primarily interested in managing the heat from the hot summers, I'm leaning towards single pane windows and the solar film. I'm just not confident that double panes will do that much for heat control given my experience with relatively expensive double pane residential windows.

Why even bother with *opinions* on a forum, especially when "facts" are hard to come by? ..:@

Results can go either way depending on the number of respondents, which is a very, VERY small fraction of the "users"...:S

Think you had already made your decision anyway - So choose what YOU believe is best for YOU and go for it..:C

~

Agree with you ol Bombero, sounds like he wanted to know about double pane versus single pane, but in reality had already made up his mind and didn’t really need to post about double pane windows at all. Didn’t make a lot of sense.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Exterior window awnings.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
I forgot to mention that our house has the "strongest" gas filled double pane windows. We get 110F summers here. I found that even with these "heavy duty" double pane windows, the hot sun still just streams through STRONGLY. It wasn't until we put the mesh sun screen material mounted outside of the windows that we could tolerate the amount of heat transmitted through the glass.

I've seen the Huper Optik window film demonstration where they put a heat lamp on the other side of a coated piece of glass. The amount of heat that it cuts down is most impressive.

I understand about the noise issue with double panes. But with double panes, window film will void the warranty because the heat rejection of the film will expand the gas between the panes and blow the seals.

Being that I'm primarily interested in managing the heat from the hot summers, I'm leaning towards single pane windows and the solar film. I'm just not confident that double panes will do that much for heat control given my experience with relatively expensive double pane residential windows.

Why even bother with *opinions* on a forum, especially when "facts" are hard to come by? ..:@

Results can go either way depending on the number of respondents, which is a very, VERY small fraction of the "users"...:S

Think you had already made your decision anyway - So choose what YOU believe is best for YOU and go for it..:C

~

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
We installed the 3M crystalline in our GD Reflection earlier this year. Check out this thread on the GD forum:

3M crystalline window film

Rob

It was YOUR post on the GD forum that got me thinking of window film 🙂

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
There are more benefits than just stopping condensation. They help with keeping noise out, and noise in. They aren’t that heavy , on my 5er weight added was 65#. They help cool in summertime and help with keeping warm in fall, spring and winter. Ours is dual pane and darkly tinted. I had them in a 2006 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite. Had the unit almost 10 years, NEVER had an issue with the windows...nothing went wrong with them, never lost a seal, no condensation between the panes. I won’t own a 5er without them. Weight is a non issue , pros outweight the cons and I’m going on 12 years of having them .

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at Cardinal FW late last spring. They had two rear living units, identical to each other with the exception of dual pane glass. One with and one without dual pane Windows. They were parked side by side with the rear window facing south. The unit with the dual pane had to be at least 10° cooler, if not more, and you could feel the a major temp difference at the glass. We were convinced right there our next unit will have dual pane windows.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We installed the 3M crystalline in our GD Reflection earlier this year. Check out this thread on the GD forum:

3M crystalline window film

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015