cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28 footer is a single A/C enough for hot summers?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have not owned a toyhauler for years but are looking at a new Sandstorm 271 G series. We have noticed that pretty much all toyhaulers in this size only have a single A/C unit. Is this enough to cool a unit this size? I know my 03 Weekend warrior came with dual air and an Ona. 5500. Pretty much all the ones we have looked at under 30ft come with a single air unit and an Onan 4000 generator. Is that generator enough to even run 2 A/C units if I wanna upgrade to 2?
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

20 REPLIES 20

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
For sure two a/c's- no question!
Just a thought but maybe a used unit makes sense? You can get a lot of trailer for 35k used!
We are thinking maybe a bumper pull next but who knows... Just ready for something different and smaller... Hoping I have the fifth wheel sold this weekend... 🙂
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
lacofdfireman wrote:
We are pretty torn what to do. I'm not sure if we even want a toyhauler again. Looking into all the options. We are even considering buying a standard fifth wheel and pulling doubles. We just have the 1 Polaris Ranger crew left and sometimes we leave it home. The standard fifth wheels are cheaper and have a lot more room. The only downside at all for me is the holding tanks are smaller. Oh and no generator. So dry camping is a little rougher. But still doable with a portable generator and some 5hallom water jugs. We are trying to stay under $35k which doesn't give you many options with toyhaulers anymore. But lots of regular fifth wheels in that price point. We'd also like a bunkhouse to.
If you go with a standard 5th wheel it's easy to get around smaller holding tanks. Four or five 7 gal Accutainers in the bed of your truck (along with a 12vdc pump), plus a portable black tank (and 12 vdc macerator) should more than suffice for the difference in capacity.

Yes, you can get by with a portable generator, but most will admit it is SO nice to not have to worry about theft, lugging around a/c cables, and the general overhead of a portable generator----simply pushing a button, anywhere, anytime, is a nice creature comfort.

As long as you don't have plans to drive through another state that restricts tandem towing you should be ok tandem towing with a standard 5th wheel.

In terms of air conditioning, a 15k unit is not a magic pill and won't provide a dramatic jump in cooling vs. a 13.5k unit. The numbers (15k BTU vs. 13,5k BTU) say it all---it's about a 10 percent increase in cooling---enough to cool an additional 2-3 ft. of living space vs. a 13.5k unit. Here in the desert SW any rig over 20 ft. with just one 13.5k or 15k a/c unit is going to see their comfort compromised when temps get above 100 degrees. If you're someone who feels comfortable with interior temps around 78-82 degrees maybe not an issue. However, if you're one that prefers temps 78 or lower, you may see your comfort compromised.

You mentioned you're trying to stay under $35k. Unfortunately, the smallest 5th wheel toy haulers, new, start around $38k-$40k discounted (not MSRP). Some of these entry level units only have a 4000 Onan and 1 a/c unit. Used, clean, un-abused, toy haulers are hard to find. If you have room in your budget for slightly more than $40k, there are some nice toy haulers with an Onan 5500 and 2 a/c units available.

It is a tough choice.

dedmiston
lacofdfireman wrote:
We just have the 1 Polaris Ranger crew left and sometimes we leave it home.

No more bikes?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We are pretty torn what to do. I'm not sure if we even want a toyhauler again. Looking into all the options. We are even considering buying a standard fifth wheel and pulling doubles. We just have the 1 Polaris Ranger crew left and sometimes we leave it home. The standard fifth wheels are cheaper and have a lot more room. The only downside at all for me is the holding tanks are smaller. Oh and no generator. So dry camping is a little rougher. But still doable with a portable generator and some 5hallom water jugs. We are trying to stay under $35k which doesn't give you many options with toyhaulers anymore. But lots of regular fifth wheels in that price point. We'd also like a bunkhouse to.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Not only will Onan 4000 not run 2 ACs, they are installed on 30 amp rigs, which makes it difficult to just add another AC unit down the road where rig also needs upgrade to 50amp service. Go with single 15K AC unit or choose rig with 50 amp service from the get go.
X-2

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
And here's a tip also: If your camper has slides and it's really HOT, keep the slides in until the air conditioner cools things down. (for example, if you've been traveling, or had your camper closed up in storage or something). The smaller space will cool faster. Once it gets comfortable, then extract one slide at a time.

This same, works for heating a camper when it's completely cold. And if your air conditioner IS having a hard time keeping up, nothing says you cannot pull one or two slides in to make a smaller space. Sometimes, this REALLY helps, so we found out with our smaller 13,500 unit and first camper we had with slides.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I have a single 15K ducted on my 28ft 5er which has a taller roof than a bumper pull and it seems to do fine in hot weather. Outside finish color of the trailer will also be a factor with darker colors absorbing more heat.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15K and 11.5K on my 24' Livin lite Axcess. At first I thought it was overkill but the the second unit is nice on very hot days and cools the trailer down fast. Another benefit is if you lose one a/c while on vacation you won't be miserable..
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Not only will Onan 4000 not run 2 ACs, they are installed on 30 amp rigs, which makes it difficult to just add another AC unit down the road where rig also needs upgrade to 50amp service. Go with single 15K AC unit or choose rig with 50 amp service from the get go.

So a single 15k A/C will be fine in a 28ft toyhauler? Still seems to small. But maybe with today's technology it would be fine. All the dealers say it's plenty but I know they are trying to push a trailer out the door and will basically tell ya what you want to hear. That's why I'm asking those of you that actually use them. I highly doubt I'll be dry camping in 100 degree plus weather but I'm sure 90 could be likely. But not a lot.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Nice to see you back, Dave.

Thanks. Nice to still see ya as a Mod. Looking to get rid of our Motorhome and get another trailer. Full circle. Haha. Just surprised these longer tongue pull trailers are being spec'd with a 4K genny and wired for dual air but can't support dual air. Just doesn't make sense to me.

It's all about the benjamins.......
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II

dedmiston
lacofdfireman wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Thanks. Nice to still see ya as a Mod. Looking to get rid of our Motorhome and get another trailer. Full circle. Haha. Just surprised these longer tongue pull trailers are being spec'd with a 4K genny and wired for dual air but can't support dual air. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Keep shopping. That doesn't sound normal to me.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My single 15,000 BTU A/C does great in my 38' overall quad slide TT. However, it's better insulated than most TTs and is white.

My 41' weekend warrior also had a single unit. It could maintain the inside just fine, but it was slow to cool an already hot trailer. Since it only had one slide-out, it had less air-leaks, but that ramp door can be a huge heat sink in the sun.

I suspect even that trailer is pre-wired at least.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST