cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

225/75/15 maxxis 8008 and the new goodyear endurance weights

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
I have given this some thought due to recent post that I have posted in. For the record I have never had a maxxis failure or personally know anyone that has. They are superior to all other trailer tires at least till maybe now. one thing I noticed about the maxxis is they are heavier that other 10 ply e rated tires which in makes me think they are just more robust. I have searched this morning for the weight of the maxxis and the new goodyear endurance and my smart phone is not cooperating lol. So do any of you know or can find the weight of the 225/75/15 10 ply e rated for each? If so please post. I have decided to be open minded for my next purchase in the next couple weeks and the heaviest tire may sway me. Thanks, Will
35 REPLIES 35

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CALandLIN wrote:

With all other ST tire manufacturers providing speed ratings on their ST tire sidewalls makes one wonder why Maxxis is lagging. They have the test facilities, so, why no speed rating? Their tire representatives and retailers may offer verbal conformation of higher speeds for the ST tires. In the tire industry, a ST tire without any identification for its speed rating being displayed on its sidewall has a maximum rating of 65 MPH.

When you get your new Maxxis tires installed please let us know if they have a speed letter or other markings to establish their certified speed rating.

Maybe they looked a Carlisle experience trying to build a new ST with a higher speed rating and then building twice again. Got to keep those bass boat boys going fast between lakes. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:
Wills6.4 Hemi wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
I have run 225/70R15C Maxxis LT tires on a work trailer for over 10 years, never had a failure, trailer runs loaded 100% of the time, weighs in at 7K+, I actually wear them out every 2-3 years

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-227-104-bravo-series-ue-168
pretty much my experience which is why maxxis is what I'm going with. Next set however I will re visit the goodyears and give them a little more time to prove themselves but they do seem promising.

With all other ST tire manufacturers providing speed ratings on their ST tire sidewalls makes one wonder why Maxxis is lagging. They have the test facilities, so, why no speed rating? Their tire representatives and retailers may offer verbal conformation of higher speeds for the ST tires. In the tire industry, a ST tire without any identification for its speed rating being displayed on its sidewall has a maximum rating of 65 MPH.

When you get your new Maxxis tires installed please let us know if they have a speed letter or other markings to establish their certified speed rating.
I will.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Provider ST tires have been speed rated M on sidewall (81 mph) since about 2010. They are nylon capped for cooler running. They came on my FW when new in 2012, and I'm still running them with no issues.

AFAIK, only Carlisle HD, and now GY Endurance are also rated for 80+ mph.

Jerry

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Wills6.4 Hemi wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
I have run 225/70R15C Maxxis LT tires on a work trailer for over 10 years, never had a failure, trailer runs loaded 100% of the time, weighs in at 7K+, I actually wear them out every 2-3 years

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-227-104-bravo-series-ue-168
pretty much my experience which is why maxxis is what I'm going with. Next set however I will re visit the goodyears and give them a little more time to prove themselves but they do seem promising.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Rear tire most likely road hazard.

Fits right in with the fact that most motorcycle tire failures are with the rear tire. Front tire flips up the screw, bolt or other object on the road, and the rear tire takes the hit. Chris

Why my uncle never put brand new tires on the front of his trucks and cars. New tires went on the back for about 2500 miles, then got moved to the front and the next pair went on the back. He said it cut his flats by about 75-80%, IIRC.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Fits right in with the fact that most motorcycle tire failures are with the rear tire. Front tire flips up the screw, bolt or other object on the road, and the rear tire takes the hit. Chris

Right on guys...that's why it's always best to keep your vehicle, trailer, or especially motorcycle in the busy driving tracks, rather than running near lane edges, or center of lane with bike.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

YUP, that's why people should not be so quick to blame a tire failure on the tire it's self, know the facts FIRST.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

How do you come up with that :h ,maybe you can elaborate on your opinion, or the fact it could be the rear.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
we caught up to a large fifth on our trip south2 weeks ago and rubber was smelling. soon it was really smelling so then smoke was showing. We were not real close behind but more smoke and then all heck happened. Dodged the fender parts and rubber. He pulled over so I stopped ahead of them and went to help. G-614 tire and 2 years old. Lady was very nice and thanked me but he really was a rough fellow with swearing. I might have saved his life as he wanted to do a couple of dumb things that could have been serious injury or worse. No thanks from him. Not his first blow out. Monitors on the goodyears should have let him know the tire was losing air and he passed a big pull off when we smelled his rubber. He turned the monitor off a few miles back so he wouldn't look at it he said. Trucks and cars were great for moving over.

right rear.
chevman
Stuff happens.

chevman

Rear tire?
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
we caught up to a large fifth on our trip south2 weeks ago and rubber was smelling. soon it was really smelling so then smoke was showing. We were not real close behind but more smoke and then all heck happened. Dodged the fender parts and rubber. He pulled over so I stopped ahead of them and went to help. G-614 tire and 2 years old. Lady was very nice and thanked me but he really was a rough fellow with swearing. I might have saved his life as he wanted to do a couple of dumb things that could have been serious injury or worse. No thanks from him. Not his first blow out. Monitors on the goodyears should have let him know the tire was losing air and he passed a big pull off when we smelled his rubber. He turned the monitor off a few miles back so he wouldn't look at it he said. Trucks and cars were great for moving over.

Stuff happens.

chevman

Rear tire?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
I have personally had a Maxxiss suffer a tread seperation. It was replaced under warranty. No overloading, no overspeed, pressure at max. They were great in the begining but now they are slipping.
I have GY Endurance on the new TT.

I agree that they seem to be resting on their laurels and not doing anything to improve the tire. Even Carlisle has upped their game in the past 5 years or so, and it producing, IMO a better tire than the Maxxis. When you see a trailer tire that has a speed rating > 75 mph, and you don't like driving > 65 mph, that's a pretty good indication of so-called "reserve". Maxxis is still stuck at a 65 mph speed rating and, as has already been said, over 30 reported failures in the past couple years, just on this site alone. I know that if I =have= to stay with 15" tires, my next ones will either be Carlisles or Endurance. If I have the scratch, I'll step up to 16" and LTs.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

Stuff happens.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110