cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Table top

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who converted their dinette into an individual chair/table setting.
What kind of table did you use. A version with 4 legs as it is available from stores? Or did you make your own with one of those typical single post RV table stands? If so, where did you get your table top? Are there stores that sell those tops in different sizes? if so, can you provide me with a link?
22 REPLIES 22

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner... thanks for the link to the BB&B folding chairs.. I hadn't thought of them, but they have some really nice looking ones to keep in mind as I plan remodel/upgrade of Class A I plan to buy.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I will be visiting them today, and also Bed, Bath & Beyond, to see what chairs they have. BB&B have some wooden chairs that fold for easy storage.

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an IKEA nearby, they sell various table tops made from solid wood, laminate, glass etc. I especially like the solid wood one with the rounded end, makes for easier entry and exit. I am going to be changing mine out since I converted my u-shaped dinette to the booth style.

Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
westend wrote:
This looks really great. How is the stability with the single center leg only?

Stability with the single leg was not good. The table was always getting leaned on and I eventually broke two of those aluminum legs.

I replaced the single aluminum leg with a set of steel folding legs. The table is now rock solid and the legs can be folded to take the table outside, should we need that.

You should be able to buy some sort of trim to edge band the table if you want that. I built all of the counter tops and table in my trailer and all of it is edge banded so I tried to keep everything the same.

When you say fold down legs, do you mean the kind of legs found on those banquet tables that can be moved around?

I made my living in medical research/biomedical engineering. From that aspect, I can handle tools (those air driven orthopedic tools like sternum saws, bone drills, etc., but I am not really a good woodworker and would have to find somebody to do the edging on the table top.

Yes, a folding leg set. Sorry, don't have a picture of that, as yet.

If you can operate on a bone or a cast, you can make a table top. Find some trim you like when you buy the panel and glue it onto the top's edge with something like Titebond III. Clamp it and let dry. IIRC, I did drive some small brads through the trim but the glue will do the job, as well.

If you're unable to do the woodworking, this is something any cabinet maker or half-proficient woodworker can handle.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Because I appreciate your expert experience, what do you think about these chairs and tables that I came across. Would it make sense to buy those folding items and tie them down during travel?
Considering that I have several 20% off coupons for this store, the price seems to be right.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/stakmore-slat-back-wood-folding-chairs-set-of-2/3275757

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
Hideout17 wrote:
I redid our table after my nephew broke the old one. I used 3/4inch oak boards put together with keg screws and stained it. Looks great

Can you enlighten me on what keg screws are? Never came across that word.

Kreg, not keg is a brand of pocket hole screws and jigs.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Hideout17 wrote:
I redid our table after my nephew broke the old one. I used 3/4inch oak boards put together with keg screws and stained it. Looks great

Can you enlighten me on what keg screws are? Never came across that word.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

Stability with the single leg was not good. The table was always getting leaned on and I eventually broke two of those aluminum legs.

I replaced the single aluminum leg with a set of steel folding legs. The table is now rock solid and the legs can be folded to take the table outside, should we need that.

You should be able to buy some sort of trim to edge band the table if you want that. I built all of the counter tops and table in my trailer and all of it is edge banded so I tried to keep everything the same.

When you say fold down legs, do you mean the kind of legs found on those banquet tables that can be moved around?

I made my living in medical research/biomedical engineering. From that aspect, I can handle tools (those air driven orthopedic tools like sternum saws, bone drills, etc., but I am not really a good woodworker and would have to find somebody to do the edging on the table top.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
We replaced our booth dinette with a table and 4 chairs bought form a local chain furniture store. I ended up getting an oval drop leaf table.
As far as the patching goes, I found some matching trim at Home Depot as well as the same stain used by the mfg.
I didn't have much to patch, just a few screw holes. Some putty and stain and they're hardly noticeable.

The table is screwed down to the slide floor. The chairs just sit there. We turn the chairs so the backs are facing the window.
We also flip the chairs with our two recliners that are in the rear. Our 5er is a RL model. We do strap the chairs down when in the rear. A sudden stop would send them forward. Never had an issue in 4 seasons and over 10,000 miles. I know what you mean about the NW roads. Some are really bad and we've been on a few we shouldn't have in CA also. My fingers are crossed sometimes when I step inside after a long drive. But we've never had a problem.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
TxTwoSome wrote:
westend wrote:
I have a tabletop made from a pine glue-up panel and some hardwood edge banding that I built. After breaking two aluminum single posts, I installed a folding leg set on the table top. It is now rock solid, can be moved outside, if necessary, and the legs fold so it can be used as the bed conversion platform.

The pine glue-up panels are available at the Big Box stores.

Do you have any pictures of the table you made? or part numbers for the panels and edging?

24" x 48" glue-up panel bought at Menards. 2 - 3" x 48" pine boards added on long axis to accommodate dinette bed platform size. The edge banding was some tropical hardwood I had in the shop.

We have a Menard's in town, and I could get the pine board there, but I do not have that nice edge material, and I don't know whether Menard's carries it. I have to take a look around the store.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
westend wrote:
I have a tabletop made from a pine glue-up panel and some hardwood edge banding that I built. After breaking two aluminum single posts, I installed a folding leg set on the table top. It is now rock solid, can be moved outside, if necessary, and the legs fold so it can be used as the bed conversion platform.

The pine glue-up panels are available at the Big Box stores.

Do you have any pictures of the table you made? or part numbers for the panels and edging?

24" x 48" glue-up panel bought at Menards. 2 - 3" x 48" pine boards added on long axis to accommodate dinette bed platform size. The edge banding was some tropical hardwood I had in the shop.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
We replaced our booth dinette with a table and 4 chairs bought form a local chain furniture store. I ended up getting an oval drop leaf table.
As far as the patching goes, I found some matching trim at Home Depot as well as the same stain used by the mfg.
I didn't have much to patch, just a few screw holes. Some putty and stain and they're hardly noticeable.

How do you keep the table and chairs secured during driving? Some of the roads I drove during my recent trip through the Pacific Northwest were so bad that I was afraid that I would loose the fillings in my teeth.