cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stuck in yard, ruts. Install driveway? Ideas please.

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not exactly RV DIY, but DIY for the RV.

- 2023.02.12 Calhoun Falls State Park, campsite 74, 5 days.
11am Sunday morning, everything loaded up and ready to GO! OMG! EXACTLY ON TIME! Put it in gear and NOTHING but spinning tires! The rain we had yesterday and last night had soaked the ground awful.
STUCK in the mud, in our own yard!!!!!!!!!!!
NEEDED A TOW TRUCK!!!!!!! $85
Took two tries but he got us out of the yard.
Big mess waiting for us when we get back.
Even the front tires left big ruts.

- The rest of the trip was MARVELOUS, BEAUTIFUL, PEACEFUL!

- Now what do I do? Been running the numbers for options...

A- use 4 pieces of 2'x4'x3/4" plywood sections to "leapfrog" back into original area? Or same idea but using sets of 2"x12"x4'...? (CHEAP and quick, $100)

B- install a gravel driveway about 12'x60'? (Guesstimate $1000 - $1500, maybe less, maybe more?)

C- install a concrete driveway (same size)? (Twice that, $3000 +/-)

D- Just do a tailgate spread of 3/4" or 1.5" crusher run? (Half that, $500 +/-)

E- Yard savers? (Pics below)

Other ideas?

I'll be getting some estimates tomorrow. Ideas about what to ask for, other than just saying 'I need a 12'x60' driveway'?

THANKS in advance!

THANKS! Phil and LuAnn
1st timers, brought it home 2022-10-19.
1994 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye
M-T31-Ford-460, 1994 Ford E350
I may not know what I am doing, but I am having fun doing it!
28 REPLIES 28

Nice job for a great price ! !

I started that way and when we had to lengthen the run ( for a larger RV ) I decided to splurge with asphalt and LOVE it when laying on it or sitting on it doing maintenance ..

Living Large ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
SCADAMAN29325 wrote:
I was going to mention the cost, but forgot to. It was initially $650, but after developing a blister on my palm, I asked about how much to scrape the grass off the top. So $680 was the final price. I rounded it to $700 and had him fill in a few low spots with the scrapings.

BTW, his dually got stuck dumping the load and had to use his bobcat to pull it out.

The price of labor and rock in South Carolina must be a lot less than most areas of the Country! You got a wonderful deal. In my area, a HVAC guy will cost about $150 per hour, and you got this guy, his truck, crush and run material, bobcat, all for $650 for a entire day! Even renting a bobcat for 1/2 day here is $450 including delivery, and $650 for a full day.

Looks like you got two loads of crush and run? At 6 tons each? Overall the project looks great. I am glad you paid the extra $30 to avoid moving the dirt by hand with a shovel!

Putting down the screen under the rock was a great idea, and will prevent the rock from disappearing in the soft clay.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I park in a field and years ago got stuck in much the same way as you. I also needed a tow truck to get me out! After that, I had a truck load of base rock dropped off and I spread it in 2 strips (where the wheels drove). Haven't had a problem since. Did this for 3 RVs that I have and it required two $250 truckloads of base rock.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is money WELL spent! Luckily my trailer is parked just behind my asphalt paved driveway, under a Carolina Carport. I had a load of asphalt millings delivered and borrowed my dad's tractor and spread it out myself. Its been 8 years and working out great!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to mention the cost, but forgot to. It was initially $650, but after developing a blister on my palm, I asked about how much to scrape the grass off the top. So $680 was the final price. I rounded it to $700 and had him fill in a few low spots with the scrapings.

BTW, his dually got stuck dumping the load and had to use his bobcat to pull it out.
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SCADAMAN29325 wrote:
I did it, rather had it done. Scraped the grass off the top, put down driveway cloth, had 6 tons of crusher run spread and compacted, then another 6 tons. It is SOLID!

Very nice !

Probably not cheap, but MUCH CHEAPER than asphalt or concrete

Every 5-10 years, you probably need to compact it. Maybe add a bit of gravel.

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did it, rather had it done. Scraped the grass off the top, put down driveway cloth, had 6 tons of crusher run spread and compacted, then another 6 tons. It is SOLID!

Forgot to take pics of the entire process, but here's a couple after the first dump and compaction, and then done. Will soon be anchoring the landscaping timbers.

THANKS! Phil and LuAnn

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did a half solution.

My parking area is sandy and dry so got rutted easily. A yard or so of gravel and a bag of straight cement (not mix) spread out and mixed into the top few inches. A little water and compaction turned it into "dirtcrete". More curing happened with rain.

3 years later it's stable and doesn't rut. The surface looks like a thin layer of gravel. It won't, last as long as full concrete or gravel, but cost a tiny fraction and some digging.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
LouLawrence wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I am wondering why you need to do the repair since it looks like you are at a State Park. Seems to me the State Park should repair it and then, if necessary, bill you.
Barney

He says he was stuck in his front yard, leaving for a 5 day trip to a State Park.

Yep, I misread it. I have deleted my post so if you wish you can delete yours or let me know and I will do it for you. Thanks for the reply.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I am wondering why you need to do the repair since it looks like you are at a State Park. Seems to me the State Park should repair it and then, if necessary, bill you.
Barney

He says he was stuck in his front yard, leaving for a 5 day trip to a State Park.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Crush and run is the worst possible choice. It is a bunch of fine stuff mixed with some 3-4 railroad rock. The Crush will disappear into the ground and do nothing and the large rock will be annoying and not enough.

If it is real soft ground, get a load of rail road rock, 3-4 stone, dumped and have someone with a steer/skid spread it and work it into the ground as a base. Then have a load of 5-7 stone delivered and spread that on top, and it will stay there and not disappear.

An alternative to that is to find some Marston matting, aka PSP or Perforated Steel Planking, and make a pad from that. Each strip is 13 inches wide by 10 ft long and weighs 66 lbs.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

SCADAMAN29325
Explorer II
Explorer II
OMG, it is tough doing it the right way. Been squaring off the driveway with the square blade shovel and removing the grass. Got the driveway cloth, staples and a heavy tamper on order. Will be here next Monday. That will give the ground time to dry out.

Thanks to all!
THANKS! Phil and LuAnn

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone else amazed at an $85 tow?
$85 here might get you an Uberโ€ฆ.

OP gotta decide what you want it to look like.
Do you want a driveway or grass?
Then narrow down options for either from there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SCADAMAN29325 wrote:

Update, just now had one of the local folks stop by, measured it (12x50) and said 12 tons of crusher run, spread and compacted for $650. I was thinking a lot more than that. And have 2 others coming by Monday and Tuesday.

Remove sod. Lay down "road fabric" before gravel. If not it will just compact into the sub-soil. Plate compact the entire area.