cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Second AC

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to purchase and install a second AC.
The front bedroom skylight is wired with power only.
I'd like the unit to be ducted into the current ducts.
My question is how to regulate the second AC...via a wall mounted thermostat (one that I can purchase with the AC unit). Or, figure out a way to make the current thermostat work with both AC units?

I have no idea how I would get a thermostat line from the new unit to the current thermostat.

Any ideas or has someone else done this before?

I really want to avoid going with a ductless unit.

Thank you!
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
5 REPLIES 5

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the air conditioner, you'll also need to get the "ceiling assembly", which is that separate part that you see inside the camper. Some are made with the controls, thermostat, on-off switch right on them so no need for a thermostat on the wall. However, if you are in a 5er and the ceiling is high, you might not be able to reach the controls.

Either way, you'll need to get the ceiling assembly too that matches the air conditioner you get, and the air conditioner will need to match your existing ducts. If push comes to shove, you can always run a wire outside your walls and cover it with trim, and then put a wall thermostat anywhere you want.

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, there are two ducts already there and ready to use for the 2nd AC.
I am only missing the control wires.
The only place I did not check was within the duct-work which is sealed off with foil tape. 'Second Chance' mentions it could be there...I'll have to check when I get it out of storage in a few months!
I'm hoping to buy the equipment soon to get a good deal before the RV season kicks prices up. So I need to decide which direction I should go, ducted or non ducted, and what type of control I want.
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with your manufacturer or selling dealership. Many late model RVs are set up with ducting around the front skylight already - and the control wiring hidden behind the thin insulation used to block off the ducting when the skylight was installed. If that is the case, the manufacturer can also tell you where the control wiring is on a wall to fish it out for a thermostat.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
how are you going to hookup ducts to existing duct work? mighty awful tight space above the ceiling. i would be more concerned over that feet than a wall t-stat
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Staple the necessary phone cord across the ceiling and down to the Tstat that you glue to the wall. OK, no easy way to hide it if they did not include a control cord and where the other end is located. I would look at your current Tstat and IF it has a button labeled Zone (doubt it) then pull it off and see if there are two sets of control wires. Otherwise, suck it up and put in a non ducted unit. Instead of turning it off/on on the face of the new AC, turn it's breaker off if you cannot reach the controls.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...