cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Screen door handle and wire hanger opener

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a brand new, unopened, screen door handle at a yard sale this morning ($1) and installed it. I've been considering getting one. Score!
Also hated having to continually slide the screen door trap door to open it and saw the wire hanger mod so I went for it. A small wooden dowel and leftover rubber seal, and presto! This will make things much easier.

15 REPLIES 15

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the part in the door frame that the screen door latches to. Two screws. Easy peasy. Sorry for the slow response.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
I added magnets and plates to my screen door and sill. No need to access the handle at all. I left the screen door handle in place so it could latch to the outside door.

Hmm. I'm intrigued. How do you keep the handle in the "open/down" position?

One solution might be to cut off the latching tab from the mechanism so it doesn't matter which position the handle is in. I don't know if that's what TurnThePage did or not. Seems like a nice plan overall to latch the screen door with magnets; I may investigate doing that in my copious free time.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I added magnets and plates to my screen door and sill. No need to access the handle at all. I left the screen door handle in place so it could latch to the outside door.

Hmm. I'm intrigued. How do you keep the handle in the "open/down" position?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
crazyro wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
How do you open the sliding panel?

I don't plan to - that's why I drilled through it. If it ever becomes an issue, I will redo the wire and bend it around the slider.

As the others have said, it will become an issue when you try to open the outer door from inside.

Yes, unfortunately I had the main door open while working on this and never had a reason to attempt to let myself out. It should be an easy fix though - at the expense of another wire hanger. Hehe.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

I don't plan to - that's why I drilled through it. If it ever becomes an issue, I will redo the wire and bend it around the slider.

As the others have said, it will become an issue when you try to open the outer door from inside.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
DanKirk wrote:
How do you open the main door from the inside if you can't open the slider?

Yeah, that's gonna be an issue...

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
So how do you open the regular door when you are using it? When I made mine several years ago I put a notch in the sliding door panel so I can still use it when needed to open the door.

Yeah, it was a very nice day and I had the main door open the entire day; never really thought about the main door. Was going to put a notch in the sliding door at first. Looks like I'll be redoing the wire one day this week. ๐Ÿ™‚

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
How do you open the main door from the inside if you can't open the slider?
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
So how do you open the regular door when you are using it? When I made mine several years ago I put a notch in the sliding door panel so I can still use it when needed to open the door.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made this, it works great!! Just a piece of wire, pull on it on the inside and the door opens easily.

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
We have this:......Screen Door Slider....

X2. Works great. I did mine several years ago before the kit came out and discovered that I could not use a flat piece of plastic and get the clearance I needed. Had to install the knob on my slider which is not flat.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We have this:......Screen Door Slider....
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro