cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to mount mirrors on thin walls

Spridle
Explorer
Explorer
The plastic toggler brand anchors are the best thing I have found for attaching mirrors or anything else of medium weight that you don't want to fall off from your RVs interior thin walls.
Try TOGGLER brand Toggle โ€œTAโ€ for 1/8"-1/4" wall thickness material. There are other sizes for thicker walls but "TA" size seem to work best for the inside of my RV. There is a video on Amazon. I love these things and have had great results so I thought I should share with my fellow RVrs.
3 REPLIES 3

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For towel bars, I made up some backing plates of thin (1/4" or 5mm) plywood that I glued to the surface of the wall, and then used typical plastic expanding anchors that went through both the wall and the backing plate. The glue is mainly to keep the plates in place during installation, rather than as a primary means of support; the plates serve both to help distribute the stresses on the wall (i.e. help keep the towel bar mounts from puncturing the wall material) and add enough thickness to let the anchors grip properly.

Easing the outer edges of the plates with a chamfer bit in a router and painting them with enamel, they look something like blank electrical switch plates under the mounts. So far it seems to be working very nicely, but I don't have enough use on them to give a long-term report.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
3M HD double sided tape on mirror, mirror clamps on all side of mirror. Usually don't have to put in rivets or plastic plugs.

Heavier items I use the metal expandable anchors using a special tool to expand them so the anchor doesn't turn in the thin wood.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I know my manual says to use pop rivets(but be careful drilling)Hung another towel rack this way works fine
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD