cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drive Off Checklist

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here is a little different DIY item. All of us run through a check list before we drive off with our trailer, or we should. Sometimes it is a mental check list and sometimes it is written down. I don't have the memory to not forget something and I hate written lists.

I use an app on my Samsung GS5 that I am really crazy about. It allows me to add items, edit items, delete items and sort. It is called Simple Notepad and there is a free download for it in the app store on my phone. Take a look at the link. Note: this is a free download for one list but for $2 (I think) you can make many lists.

There is also one called Checklist Again that I used to use with my iPhone 4.

Here is a set of screen prints from my GS5 phone so that you can see what it looks like.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS
22 REPLIES 22

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't have a checklist per se, but do have a reminder. Our SportsMobile has a penthouse top and we do connect to shore power. Have almost driven off with out disconnecting the power nor lowering the top a time or two. So I came up with this reminder.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No checklist here but that could be to do with the frequency that we move. Somehow everything gets done. 9 seasons, at least 75 setups & teardowns each season & all that we have managed to destroy are a couple of forgotten wheel chocks. Left a very nice water pressure reducer behind once but picked up one that somebody else had forgotten so that one is a wash.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Well we both did the double walk around and checklist. Still missed the awning above the door. VP, that year at FMCA hollered at us as we left the grounds in Shrieveport. Might be an idea to have someone watch as you leave campsite, too.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
I downloaded the "RV Checklist" from the Play Store (free). It is quite comprehensive, and fully customizable.

I think you are really going to like it. For about a $2 upgrade you can make all the lists you want.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I downloaded the "RV Checklist" from the Play Store (free). It is quite comprehensive, and fully customizable.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used a checklist and will continue to do so. After the checklist is completed and just before getting into the truck to leave, I do one more final walk around just to make sure. Once I found that I forgot to pull the wheel chocks even though I was sure I had checked that item off my checklist. It never hurts to take one last look!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds great and something I would be interested in. Thanks for the info.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'll just add that if I am in the middle of my walk around for departure and a fellow camper comes up to talk to me (which they always seem to do)...I take the time to talk to them BUT then I start my walk around 'all over again from the beginning' no exceptions for me. :C

With the phone check list you uncheck everything on the list before you start your walk. As you check off items on the list they stay in memory even if you had to reboot your phone. Then when you have had your talk with the fellow camper you can go back to where you left off on the walk. No lost time doing it again

I also have a list of any little things that need to be added or fixed the next time I get a chance.

Geno92308
Explorer
Explorer
Airline Pilots use checklists on all flights, everyday. They are even required to say the steps out loud. Checklist are a good thing.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just add that if I am in the middle of my walk around for departure and a fellow camper comes up to talk to me (which they always seem to do)...I take the time to talk to them BUT then I start my walk around 'all over again from the beginning' no exceptions for me. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many many years working in power plants where EVERYTHING has a 'procedure'.

Procedures that have come about due to somebody messing up.

I have my 'procedure' for setting up campsite and tearing down campsite.
Then GF checks after I am done. That is HER procedure.

And it works for US.
Do have a written check list for both procedures BUT after doing it over and over weekly we just rely on 'doing it' and that involves touch/look.
IF in the middle of one of the checks and somebody interrupts we start over with that check point.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
My ocd kicks in, I walk around and double check sometimes triple check then ask my kids and wife as we're leaving if I checked everything. Now they watch me, I'm known to pull over sometimes and check stuff. The thing is I do it without thinking because it so routine that I forget but So far so good.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have found over time that a written list changes the way I think about the things I need to do. I try to learn from the list and then get off them. Actually thinking about the listed item helps recall the item next time. I have found that the more I rely on a list, the less I think about the process.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I also have another check list which I call Camping Checklist. I use it to help me remember every thing I need to take along on the trip. An example being "Snorkeling stuff" if we will use it on the trip. It is very easy to add or delete items so that your list is accurate for a specific trip.

I realize how useless this is for some seasoned campers but I just threw it out there in case some folks would like to try it. It is not for everyone.