cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable Hatch for 50 amp plug with handle

footz
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the plug on my shore cord with a Camco plug with the handle. The stock cable hatch is 3 1/2", I need a hatch with 5 1/2" for the plug to go through. Camco doesn't make a hatch for the plug and I can't find one big enough online. Can someone tell me where I can get the hatch I need? Thanks!!
13 REPLIES 13

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Freightliner has a ring and screw in cap for the sewer hose. I'm not near the motorhome to get a measurement but if you can get the sewer hose down though it with plenty of room to spare it should work fine. It attaches with several screws around the ring. The ring is internally threaded for the screw in cap or cover. It has a pop up handle to help unscrew it and it is gasketed. The cost was between 30 and 60 dollars.
It is substantial construction.
You can order from the factory parts department.
I take back the screw in part. It turns to lock and folds down internally on the cap or cover. It does not screw in. It has a big o ring between the flange and cap.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner has a ring and screw in cap for the sewer hose. I'm not near the motorhome to get a measurement but if you can get the sewer hose down though it with plenty of room to spare it should work fine. It attaches with several screws around the ring. The ring is internally threaded for the screw in cap or cover. It has a pop up handle to help unscrew it and it is gasketed. The cost was between 30 and 60 dollars.
It is substantial construction.
You can order from the factory parts department.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
In my old class C, I installed about a two foot 30 amp pigtail in the small hatch. Then used a thirty amp RV extension cord.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just toss it in the back of the truck. The way I see it is if they have a need for a 50 amp cord like that, they should be able to afford to buy one rather than stoop to the level of theft.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy & Nana wrote:
OK not to hi-jack the OP's question - how do you all deal with the "removable" power cord!

I'm so afraid someone will "borrow" (meaning walk off with) it when we are not around the TH!
Pertinent question! Yes, it would not be a happy day to find your $300 50 amp Marinco cable missing. I plan to clamp a small chain or a long hasped lock around mine. It won't totally eliminate theft but it will offer a deterrent.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
OK not to hi-jack the OP's question - how do you all deal with the "removable" power cord!

I'm so afraid someone will "borrow" (meaning walk off with) it when we are not around the TH!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to my replacement project. I only wish I had done it sooner!

Cable Hatch Replacement
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most 50AMP SHore Power cable use this method where the cable disconnects from the trailer end...

Alot of 30AMP Shore Power Cables use this method that get pushed back into the trailer end but can also be like the above photo and be disconnected. My 30AMP trailer uses the push-in-the-hole method

You may have to install a square hatch door like this to push your large 50AMP shore power cable connector through the door.

I too am wondering why your 50AMP cable is the push-in-the-hole type. Have you done some changes and installed a 50A connector on end of your 30AMP Shore Power Cable.

We have been to several camp sites that only have the 30AMP Pedestal Service available. Only a few where we always go seem to have both 30A and 50A Service on the pedestals.

This is a large 50AMP PLUG with handle

this is a large 30AMP PLUG with handle

My trailer is 30AMP only...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
You have 50 amp cord that doesnt just unplug from the side of the trailer? Holy Anacondas Batman. That has to be a pain to push back into the hole.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
footz wrote:
I replaced the plug on my shore cord with a Camco plug with the handle. The stock cable hatch is 3 1/2", I need a hatch with 5 1/2" for the plug to go through. Camco doesn't make a hatch for the plug and I can't find one big enough online. Can someone tell me where I can get the hatch I need? Thanks!!

Footz I see your in Sacramento.
You may want to run over to Allied Trailer on El Camino.

Allied always seems to have whatever I've needed or they'll get some items in a day.
They're definitely worth a try.

I think they might have these in the store.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing. To make it work I cut off part of the handle and a few of the "fingers" on the inside of the hatch. It is nice and snug but it fits.

footz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply enblethen. I think you're probaly right. I've looked at a few of them and I'm sure they would work. Thanks again.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is your current one "round"? If it is you may need to change to a square one to get the larger cord connector in.
Hatches

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker