cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox 25r interior wall removal

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone removed the "L" shaped wood partition wall between the bed and the kitchen/living area? . This wall runs ceiling to floor approximately 2' wide (left side), then about 3' high and about 4' wide as you look to the right behind the sofa.

I want to https://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Arctic%20Fox/25R/Arctic-Fox_25R_NF_Windswept-Serenity-4.jpg?bwg=1650552047 to a regular 80" length queen mattress and the partition prevents that.

Whats involved in removing that wall?

Did the job turn out to your satisfaction?

Thanks,
David

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

6 REPLIES 6

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Walls that run perpendicular to the side walls are probably important shear walls that give stiffness to the structure. removing them could have serious consequences.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt it's for strength. It's more likely a beauty wall to hide the ugly back of the sofa. More aesthetic than anything else. Theres a lot of TT that long that just have a curtain there.
A quick email or phone call to NW would settle it.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
What do you plan to do with the sofa? Since the wall is against the back of the sofa,that will still be in the way. Also the wall is probably the support for the cabinet above the sofa end.

One consideration with this is the overall integrity of the unit.

While you are likely to be able to remove it easily enough, with the exception of any wiring that may run through, every partition, wall etc is part of the strength deigned into the unit. They are all there to reduce flexing while going down the road. This is important, and I wouldn't remove it.

As sdcampowner suggested above, the walls are on top of the flooring and the ceiling sits on the wall. This again lends strength to the unit.

As Scott said, do check first to see what is inside the wall. Be sure a grey or black tank vent pipe isn't in there too.

Removing a partition needs careful consideration. I personally wouldn't do it.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've done a lot of invasive projects like this in RV's. Frankly, that wall is suspicious and could hide plenty. I would remove the thermostat and see what I can see. Maybe even remove the wood panel on the bedroom side if possible without doing damage.
You would have to move the thermostat and you will lose the side of your cabinet. But again, first and foremost, I would verify what is inside the wall. It could be a chase for wiring like the 12v ceiling lights. And looking closer at the pic, it's plausible that all your tank level wiring, power for the stereo and 120VAC for the air conditioner is coming up through it.
No way would I just start tearing it up without knowing what I was getting into!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
David,
rvs are built from the inside out, reverse of landed structures.
So, the cieling , wall and floor finishes should be complete and matching since they were complete before the divider wall was placed.
Most likely, that wall was placed BEFORE the outside wall and roof.
Look into other spaces like the ceiling and floors of bath, under bed, inside cabinets to comfirm continuity of material. If its so then that wall should remove with little noticeable effect.
Max