cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any ideas for quieting a generator??

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curious if anyone has come up with a unique, easy to transport, and affordable way of quieting portable generators. Mine really are not bad. I went with 2 of the 2000w champions that I run individually when AC is not needed or in parallel when we do. Compared to standard non-inverter styles these things are super quiet, but still not nearly as quiet as the Honda. I just could not spring for the Hondas as I could replace my Champions 2 times for the same price.

That said, the closer to silent we can get the better! Any covers, boxes, or other cool ideas for quieting even more? We already limit how often we run when boon docking and we place them as far away from the camper as the power cord reaches, but I'm sure most agree that if there is a simple way to make them even quieter I think most of us would do it. Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I charge my batteries then turn mine off. Works pretty good.

Solar is on the horizon but in Ontario, with all the trees and how far North we are running solar 100% usually isn't enough.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Db meter,,,,, cell phone app!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
phillyg wrote:
If you try, you have to figure out passages for air intake and the exhaust, and use a decibel meter to see if there's a real improvement.

If you are trying to redesign the housing on a modern inverter generator, don't expect to have any success and likely it will be worse.

The idea would be to build an independent sound shield.

Also, no need for a decibel meter. Start up the generator have the wife listening. Then put the sound shield up. If she can tell the difference, it's a real improvement.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Many UTUBEs on the subject.
Nothing truly effective can-be done portably.
Directivity, distance and possibly additional mufflers.
You can use barriers to direct the sound away.
Distance will cut sound, of course, but power line loss is the trade off. Depends on your generator capability, size cable.
One consideration when moving the generator further away, less secure. The quieter it is, more likely you might disregard initially if it stops.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's possible to make up some acoustic panels that could break apart for travel, but unless you're an acoustic engineer, it's probably hit or miss on their effectiveness. If you try, you have to figure out passages for air intake and the exhaust, and use a decibel meter to see if there's a real improvement.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
#1Flyboy wrote:
Ifโ€™s you can afford some good 6 volt batteries & solar that is as quiet as it getsโ€ฆ

Yep, none of that pesky noise from the air/con fan and compressor.

To the OP:
- Point the exhaust away from the trailer. This is usually where the bulk of the sound originates.
- The further you can place it from the trailer the quieter it will sound. But don't go crazy as long wiring runs can lead to voltage loss problems if you are pulling a lot of amps.
- If you are boondocking, you could set up a simple sound shield with some foam board placed between the generator and the trailer. It could be a simple single panel with some support legs though the more you surround it the better but keep plenty of room for airflow and so the exhaust isn't melting the foram.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a iq3500 Genrac electric start. I also have a Honda 2000W. The Genrac is quieter when hooked up. The Honda might be a tad quieter when idling.
Really impressed with the Genrac when the AC is running.
Some CG neighbors across the way had 3300W Firmans. Kinda noisy.
Paid $999.00 for the Genrac.
I leave the Genrac in the truck bed.
Other than that there's really not much you can do besides burying it in a box of some sorts.

I went with the big gen because it doesn't need to rev up like the small ones to power bigger stuff.
I'm guessing those 2000W gens still wind up running the AC.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ifโ€™s you can afford some good 6 volt batteries & solar that is as quiet as it getsโ€ฆ

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad