cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advanced Power Strips

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the "advanced" power strips that cut power to devices reducing "phantom" draw automatically? Wondering if they would be useful in RV especially as I get ready to full-time. Don't plan to boondock much, but also prefer reducing power usage/battery depletion if possible.

Power company for S&B sent an email ad with information/pricing on several advanced power strips. Information for least expensive at $22, says "This power strip not only safeguards your equipment from damaging power transients, it helps lower your electric bill. This 7 outlet model offers 2 always-on outlets for devices that you do not want turning off automatically, 1 master outlet, and 4 controlled outlets (controlled by the master outlet). The current-sensing master outlet has 3 selectable switching thresholds (10w, 22w or 42w) to sense when the control device is on or off, and it then switches the controlled outlets on or off accordingly to prevent unnecessary power use from devices plugged into those outlets, eliminating what are known as vampire loads."

Here is the page from power company with various models.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
2 REPLIES 2

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do the numbers.

The power strip itself may be a phantom load.

I have the ability to do demand sensing on the Magnum inverter. It causes various and sundry beeps and lights to flash every 5 seconds. Totally maddening for me.

If it "saves" 20 watts, then the power bar is going to pay back at 5 cents per day.

From a boondocking point of view 20 watts for 24 hours is 480 watt hours.

I'd get a switched outlet from a dollar store--and turn it off until I needed the power.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recently learned the induction cooktop I installed draws 3 watts 24/7 and while snowbirding with FHU itโ€™s not a big deal. When dry camping that adds up so I added a $8 switched power strip so I can easily turn it on when needed.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...