cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'94 TT Complete gut - Oh my, what did I get into...

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
So we bought a '94 Dutchman 20 foot TT.
I knew it had a water leak in the front portion of the trailer, and once I pulled it down, it lead into more pulling and then thinking...
So, next thing I know I have gutted the whole trailer, which is good because I am finding out alot of the "shortcuts" that were used when this trailer was built / fix etc.
Now, it turns out I have to fix EVERY corner on the trailer, and I am finding that the roof is actually the easiest!
Just finished the back roof, and found out that there was no Butyl tape under the rubber roof membrane. Basically, making a sandwich with the Butyl tape before you put the metal trim on.

I will be posting a video on the roof, but started a blog on the whole gut, and will eventually add every task to it, since, I think I will be tackling probably every aspect of gutting / fixing and Mod'ing a trailer.

alicegetsamakeover.blogspot.ca
7 REPLIES 7

westend
Explorer
Explorer
emaav wrote:
And you can insulate it to your standards...Enjoy

How true that is. I spent almost two weeks cutting individual pieces of extruded foam to install in the wall framing and ceiling. If I had it to do over, I'd do exactly the same. The amount of comfort and noise reduction is worth every bit of the effort. Everyone that comes into the C/Hilton remarks on how quiet it is inside.

FWIW, my insulation method was: 1" or so of fiberglass batt against the exterior aluminum siding (this allows for wires and affords some ventilation). 1" extruded foam cut to friction fit in the framing. 4 mil plastic continuous vapor barrier. 1/4" extruded foam fan fold sheet insulation underneath the paneling, covering the entire wall. The ceiling got a bit more batt and a double thickness of foam. The plywood floor was removed and extruded foam was installed between the floor joists. I can heat the 22' Starcraft, in MN, in the dead of Winter, with a small electric heater.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
And you can insulate it to your standards...Enjoy
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
On the bright side you can now have a floor plan almost anyway you want it

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, another gut and remake!
BTDT, have the T-shirt.
You can click on the link in my signature line to see what I did.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with water leaks is water can travel a long way, hidden, from front to back. It can roll down one wall, travel across and damage the wall on the other side. The damage is rarely confined to the area or damage you can "see".
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I am assuming that you've discovered the secret of the RV window? The screws thru the trim ring go from the inside to the outside and sandwich the window between the inner and outer wall. Butyl putty tape all around somewhat glues them in, but they can (and should) be removed and resealed while you're installing the wall paneling.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Very discouraging. You may be able to fix the damage but can you find the cause? Fix the leak first thing. Pressure test before you do any repairs. Time is money on the asembly line. Pride in workmanship s non existant
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)