cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of leaving

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad

Iโ€™m thinking of leaving this site because there doesnโ€™t seem to be much of anybody using it much. Before the change or upgrade it seemed that people checked it out all through the day. Now it seems that people go for days at a time without posting anything. If activity donโ€™t increase soon then I to will be leaving.

10 REPLIES 10

joelabq
Explorer III
Explorer III

Honestly, while i was disappointed in the traffic the last 3-5 years... this change has made the site entirely useless. I say that as someone who embraces change, especially in tech, such as web design.  I have no idea why someone would design a forum that only included the only date displayed as the original posters date completely omitting the date of the last post on the topic. This one 'feature' alone helps chisel in the final words on the headstone of RV.net forums... but lets not stop there... Instead, we will redesign the main forum display page in a top-left-to-bottom-right 'avatar' display of the forums that so many of us don't care about. At least from the default redirect from the rv.net/forum/index.cfm redirect.  Case in point, I come here for tech issues, repairs, and occasionally the rest. Lets face it, fixing or improving an RV is the most common need. But, you can't find that on the ridiculous main display,  but instead one has to find it in the drop down as if to do everything but completely hide it. Lets not mention the the 'groups' the are displayed are, at least in my opinion, not the popular forums to begin with with a few exceptions.

Also, did you know that the southwest exists? Seems southeast, Pacific Northwest, and western is a thing... but southwest...yeah whats that and who cares? I guess more space for me as far as camping... well, nevermind, no one comes here anyway for camping related information anyway no less for the southwest.

The Main page doesn't help you find much, unless you like mindlessly clicking on the 'newest post' which, at the time of writing this was from SEPT 2023! well, except that we only display the original poster's date not the latest. Very well thought out. If you can get passed that, you basically get a random feed of whatever you might or might not care about. Me, I want to know about whose doing what to their RVs, others might be wondering the best way to cook with the latest gadget.. but good LUCK! scroll and scroll. Also, no ads, so why bother with that infamous trick?

I have no doubt that the old coldfusion-based forum was in need of replacement, but incinerating its essence and replacing it with this abomination was akin to taping the explosives on and, without ransom or any demands, hitting the detonator. 

So many of us are looking for something other then Facebook or reddit for our subject-specific information and the rv.net domain was a goldmine. Very disappointed. Good luck with the smoldering ash left here. 

2020 Chevy Duramax 2500
2013 Wildcat 312bhx-ok

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

It would seem that the goal is to make the site useless so they don't have to maintain it.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III

This new design is one of the worst websites I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the goal was, but it's awful. I mean no disrespect, I'm just being honest.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Frankly I didn't see all that much traffic before the transition to the new software. When I joined the site in 2004 there was an entire page of new/updated threads in Truck Campers, Tow Vehicles, and Towing every day, often more. That slowly dwindled over the ensuing 20 years to about 3 threads a day, usually less.

I mean, I can't remember the last time there was a good tow rating argument in any of those forums. It used to be a daily occurrence. Everybody didn't suddenly decide to agree on how to interpret tow ratings...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

Check back. Most of the current posts are answering nine to thirteen year old posts so check back about 2035 for an answer if you post a question.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

Yeah I see a lot when questions get asked there is rarely a response.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

They did the move during the slowest winter months for RV discussion, so hopefully it picks back up as spring is in the air across the country.  It was really dead about a month ago, and I see more traffic now.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

I agree with the previous statement the site has been fading for years. Joined back in 2006 or so. On the old site I always clicked on new posts to start. And there would be 2-4 full pages or more of congregate new posts over all the forums in the last 24 hours. That slowly dwindled to sometimes less than one page before the recent revamp. Now I canโ€™t find a way to singularly check for new posts across all forums. And have no desire to check each forum for new posts. Guess thatโ€™s why today is the first time I have opened the forum in a month or so. Check back in another month I guess. 

Bring it back.92B8D70E-E898-44FF-82E1-E12ECFA88E0B_1_201_a.jpeg

That was far more user friendly.