cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sign in

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

I much preferred being able to view messages without having to sign in each and every time

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
10 REPLIES 10

MastEvac71
Nomad
Nomad

Each time I return to the forum I am still logged in and I use Chrome, Edge and firefox. No problems here.

I use Firefox and have to log back in every day.

Not the end of the world, but certainly a pain in the rear.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Not sure this is a pm or not very poor imo

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

I'm with you Don...

I find it a nuisance to have to sign in every time too.

OK, RV.Net was less secure, but seriously, don't hackers and crooks have better things to do than get into a bunch of "older folks" chit chat about RV related stuff? In the scheme of things nothing on the forum is life changing to others.

I stayed signed in to RV.Net for months, years, until I cleared cookies or did a fresh install of my OS to clean things up.

Oh well, I have the log in credentials saved so I don't have to enter it every time. It self populates for me at login.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Bob,

I find that if I close the window--and return I have to log in again.

I also find the board quite sluggish--even though at the moment I'm on a fibre connection at 500 m/s.

Regards, Don

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

I'm able to view messages when not logged in. But of course I can't reply which is sometimes annoying but of course it makes sense.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dedmiston

Hey Don - Security on the old site was more lax than most. Security standards have evolved over the years, but RV.NET never kept pace.

I use a password manager on all of my devices and don't need to type my password to sign in. I can use my fingerprint or face to sign in on my laptop & iPad and my face to sign in on my phone. It's an extra step, but it was needed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

I think most of us are aware of, and use password managers and device security. But that affects our access point (phone, laptop, tablet, etc.) from outside users accessing it. I don't understand how using these tools protects the security of this G.S. forum.

G.S. states the timeout limit  is for their "security". What security is that? It doesn't appear their sign on security differs from before. Userid and password get you on. No TFA or equivalent.

Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

The password requirements are more complex and there's no "Remember Me" to keep the session alive for days/months like on RV.NET.

And yes, it could be more secure through MFA, but do we really want to do that?

At least the session time-outs give us more protection against someone getting into one of our accounts with elevated permissions and deleting a bunch of posts or banning a bunch of accounts. It's not perfect, but it's more secure than the old site was.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

As much as a PIA 2FA/MFA are, I absolutely want them on my financial apps. But for this forum (and other RV type forums): absolutely not.

Still, these things help identify us and ensure to G.S. that we are who we say we are. It does nothing to make the forum more secure. If I was worried about someone hijacking my session, either through my keyboard or intercepting my HTTPS connection, I would definitely logoff after every visit.

I just don't understand how a  timeout makes the G.S. forum more secure.

Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line