Explorer
Explorer
Camp Host, from the other side.
953 REPLIES 953

helmet1978
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Helmet1978, you get to TriPod by the turn off at Cougar Mountain Lodge, right? That section of the road is narrow and winding, have you even encountered anyone while towing? How far up that road is Tri-Pod?

Thanks!

That is the road. It is 2.3 miles to the meadow where we usually camp but only the first mile is steep and winding. After that it is pretty wide and has good sight distance. The reservoir turn off is at the 1 mile mark but there is only tent camping there.

In the 10+ times we've been up and down that road over the last few years I'd say we have met someone on that section only a couple of times. There are a couple of wide spots and people are usually good about yielding to large vehicles.
2012 Keystone Passport
2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Helmet1978, you get to TriPod by the turn off at Cougar Mountain Lodge, right? That section of the road is narrow and winding, have you even encountered anyone while towing? How far up that road is Tri-Pod?

Thanks!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
Love the photos. I would enjoy doing more boon docking.

helmet1978
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few from the last couple of years:

Tripod Meadows with the In-Laws, Smiths Ferry, Idaho, August 2015

A few miles east of Idaho City, July 2015

Above Sagehen Reservoir, Idaho June 2015

4th of July 2013, Arrowrock Reservoir east of Boise, Idaho
2012 Keystone Passport
2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

monakayk
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Monakayk, actually we have had almost no problems with freezing (until one night on this last trip when it got down to 11 degrees). But on many nights of camping in the high teens and low 20s, we have had no freezing at all, even though our trailer is not really "four-season" rated. I put some insulation (reflectix) underneath, and it seems to do the trick.

After that one really cold night, we just left the breakfast dishes in the sink, went hiking, and came back in the afternoon to find that the ice had thawed -- hurrah! We figured out later that the outlet pipe leading from the fresh water tank to the pump was the problem.

The next few nights were around 20, and we had no more trouble. But just to be safe, I am intending to add some real insulation (a layer of solid extruded foam), with a layer of coroplast under that for protection. That is my next big project!

Here is a shot from another really cold trip -- we were boondocking at 9500 feet in the Eastern Sierra, and the wind was so strong that I had to park the truck right next to the water heater so that the wind would not blow out the flame:

Sounds miserable, right? Nope -- nothing is so wonderful as boondocking in bad weather, buttoned up inside a comfortable (albeit small) RV!

Thanks for the info about how you insulated it.I will pass this info on to the DH.
HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

Our Ford Explorer & Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid Travel Trailer and Camping Photos--CLICK HERE!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
A smaller space is easier to keep warm. When late fall camping, and it's in the upper 20's at night, we close the bedroom door. In the morning, when I open it, it's so much colder in the living area.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monakayk, actually we have had almost no problems with freezing (until one night on this last trip when it got down to 11 degrees). But on many nights of camping in the high teens and low 20s, we have had no freezing at all, even though our trailer is not really "four-season" rated. I put some insulation (reflectix) underneath, and it seems to do the trick.

After that one really cold night, we just left the breakfast dishes in the sink, went hiking, and came back in the afternoon to find that the ice had thawed -- hurrah! We figured out later that the outlet pipe leading from the fresh water tank to the pump was the problem.

The next few nights were around 20, and we had no more trouble. But just to be safe, I am intending to add some real insulation (a layer of solid extruded foam), with a layer of coroplast under that for protection. That is my next big project!

Here is a shot from another really cold trip -- we were boondocking at 9500 feet in the Eastern Sierra, and the wind was so strong that I had to park the truck right next to the water heater so that the wind would not blow out the flame:

Sounds miserable, right? Nope -- nothing is so wonderful as boondocking in bad weather, buttoned up inside a comfortable (albeit small) RV!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

monakayk
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
East Fork of the Cimarron River, Colorado, October 1, 2015:

Great spot! We have been really lucky here in CO....so far....with warm weather this far in the 'fall'.
HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

Our Ford Explorer & Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid Travel Trailer and Camping Photos--CLICK HERE!

monakayk
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
November, 2015 -- this is darn close to boondocking, but not quite. We were at Lodgepole Campground in Sequoia National Park. The rangers let us park in the parking lot next to the river -- the campground itself was not open to RVs, and there was nobody else in the whole campground but us. This is the morning after a six inch snowfall:

WOW! That is great view! I gather you do not use any of your plumbing/RV water but just use container H2O for drinking/cooking/washing, etc. or else your pipes would free...right?:?
HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
November, 2015 -- this is darn close to boondocking, but not quite. We were at Lodgepole Campground in Sequoia National Park. The rangers let us park in the parking lot next to the river -- the campground itself was not open to RVs, and there was nobody else in the whole campground but us. This is the morning after a six inch snowfall:

About our trailer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Salvo wrote:
Hey Oldman, I spend some time at Rufus every year. There's some awesome wind there.
I'll look for you next time! Yeah, it can get windy. I love seeing the dam at night out my picture window.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Oldman, I spend some time at Rufus every year. There's some awesome wind there.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
East Fork of the Cimarron River, Colorado, October 1, 2015:

Goosenecks State Park, Utah, October 2, 2015:

(In that shot, the Milky Way is a little washed out because the moon had risen.)
About our trailer

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
Or you might find us here.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes