cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about Yellowstone around May 20th or so. Probably staying at Fishing Bridge in fifthwheel. What weather can I expect, temperature, snow, etc.
12 REPLIES 12

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with wanting to stay in the Park if you don't have to have hook-ups. Getting up and going to bed surrounded by wilderness sure beats staying in one of the towns.
Jayco-noslide

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone in May 2016. Days were high 50's low 60's. Nights dropped into high 30's. We stayed in Madison.No hookups but generators allowed during certain hours. Crowds were light. All roads were open but snow was along roads in the southern end of the park and Yellowstone Lake had some ice on it.We felt it was a great time to be there.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to stay in the Park. No commute. Then you can hear the wildlife at night. You wake up already there.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bother with short sleeves. Probably a nice time to be there but most of the Park is around 8000 ft. which can be cool in mid-summer.
Jayco-noslide

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been going to Yellowstone since 1955. A great place to visit, but the two best times are May and early June for the babies, and Sept and Oct for the elk rut.

The cooler wetter weather makes the Park less attractive to the seething hordes of people. In an RV you have a nice warm place to sleep at night. Be ready for some cooler weather and rain. It might snow a little at night, but will go off quickly.

The wildlife is actually much easier to see in cooler wetter weather. You will get to see all the babies, especially the little red buffalo calves romping all over the place.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Mid May is kind of early, the second week of June is better. Stay at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Make your reservations now.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Henry's Lake CG West Yellowstone, or Teton Lodge RV cg south entrance.

Henry's lake will charge you extra for the toad, even if declared on the web during reservation.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is this handy site called weatherspark.com -- they publish great graphs of weather statistics for many locations -- just scroll through this link and you will see what a wealth of info is available.

We use this all the time in trip planning -- what are the chances we will have sunshine for our solar panel? Clear skies for stargazing? How cold does it get at night on a certain date? And so forth.

West Yellowstone weather stats
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
If hookups are a must, check the rv parks in West Yellowstone.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
May is really early for Yellowstone. Yes, it'll be open, but snow can be feet deep. Lots of trails may not be accessible depending on the winter weather and how much snow melts by then.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Fishing Bridge is closed for renovations in 2019.

Gosh, and I didn't even get to tell him how the buffalo take over the roads for hours.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge is closed for renovations in 2019.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand