cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wondering about Harvest Hosts

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried Harvest Hosts? I'm wondering if it's worth it even though it's only $79/year.

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I joined in December and think I paid $40 but not sure.
We will be using it for our first time next week going to a Alpaka farm.
Hope my wife doesn't decide to buy a couple of them.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a longer review here:

http://learntorv.com/overnight-at-wineries-farms-and-other-places-with-harvest-hosts/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Harvest Hosts does say what size rigs they can accommodate. I'd assume that it means those size rigs can navigate the parking areas. The few that I've been to all worked out (and we're in a > 40' fifth wheel).

My issue is that we don't often overnight anywhere. If we do, we're driving long and stopping late at a Walmart (think 10pm or later). With HH, you're expected to arrive during business hours.

I love the idea, but it hasn't worked for us. ๐Ÿ˜ž

same experience with us. we joined 4 months ago. i don't think we will renew

good concept though in my opinion

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've responded to questions about HH before. It's all a matter of how well their model fits your travel preferences. HH fits our preferences well - some of the time. When we're en-route from point A to point B, it works out great for us. When we want to spend time in a location, not so much.

We've used HH many times, and we've never been disappointed. Each one is totally unique and different. Most locations are wineries, but not all. If we spend $30 or so on wine or some other product that interests us, in exchange for an overnight, that's fine with us. We get the product, and we get the peaceful overnight stay. We've seen parts of the country that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. We like rural America, and the people who make it what it is, so it's all good, for us. We've met a lot of really wonderful people at HH locations.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Harvest Hosts does say what size rigs they can accommodate. I'd assume that it means those size rigs can navigate the parking areas. The few that I've been to all worked out (and we're in a > 40' fifth wheel).

My issue is that we don't often overnight anywhere. If we do, we're driving long and stopping late at a Walmart (think 10pm or later). With HH, you're expected to arrive during business hours.

I love the idea, but it hasn't worked for us. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on what size RV you have. As mentioned, it is not always feasible for a long DP or 5th wheel to access some locations. If you have a short Class C or B, it could be more suitable.

Take a look at Boondockers Welcome. The hosts for each location give a complete report on their facilities. It is easy to tell what size rig they can accommodate and what they offer in the way of facilities. Also, although a small token of your appreciation is nice, you won't feel obligated to buy $25 bottles of wine or other expensive items that you normally wouldn't buy, when at a Harvest Host location.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had this when it first started and found very few places on our travel route and didn't wish to go too many miles out of the way to try it out.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Similar to my complaint. You are supposed to call ahead for one night yet canโ€™t stay the next night. I canโ€™t see a place in a day. We almost never drive two days in a row.

Plus site info is not there eg I have a 40โ€™ DP, can I easily get in and out and is there a level site?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
My complaint with them is they require advance notice. While reasonable for the hosts, it requires planning ahead at least 24 hours which does not work for me.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have used them twice and they were very nice camping spaces and friendly people.

We would use them more, but it seems we're either going to a place where we'll spend a couple weeks or we're traveling, arriving later at night so it doesn't work.

If they fit in your schedule, give them a try.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We've been members for a couple of years and have stayed at host locations whenever we can. Great alternative to Wallydocking for an overnight. Most locations can be reseved on short notice. There are new owners this year and they are aggressively recruiting new hosts.

Most places are strictly dry camping, although a few will run a 20 amp extension cord and water if you need it. Although it's free, it's customary to purchase something from the host.

Just a warning. If you think that harvest host location will save you money, think again. We spend WAY more at a HH winery than we would ever consider paying for a campsite :E
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably depends on where you travel and if you are equipped to boondock. Iโ€™ve looked into it, but havenโ€™t had a route planned where it made sense yet.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73