Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Travel

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks
Looking for some constructive comments to my question of winter travel time
We are looking at the possibility of making a dash from Calgary Alberta to Arizonia -New Mexico ,starting in early January.Heading down with just the minimum number of stops.
I'm worried about winter weather and roads . Any thoughts and comments would be greatfully appreciated
Pops
17 REPLIES 17

Fbx-Ak
Explorer
Explorer
We left Alaska 1-2-2018. Reached Arizona about 1-9. Slow going until Edmonton. We avoided most snow events but ice and snow on road, so 35 mph average for many 100's of miles. Clear sailing after Edmonton, but anything is possible in the Winter. This was our third winter trip. No real problems, but not the best time of year to travel. Return trip was early April. Snow covered roads in patches from South Dakota on North. It's easier to drive on dry snow at minus 30 than slushy mess at plus 30 (Fahrenheit).

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies We are leaving Nova Scotia to go across Canada to head up to Alaska . Back to Calgary to visit family and friends and then South to Arizona in the new year . Appreciate all the comments Thanks

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I just noticed that you're from Nova Scotia but you're asking about heading south from Calgary..... why not head directly south from Nova Scotia in winter? It seems you'd have less bad winter traveling by heading immediately south.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Cross as Sumas and come down I5. Jump over to 99 to miss LA and go to Bakersfield, 58 outa Bakersfield to Barstow, 40 to Needles, 95 to I10, gotter made.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

blenhardt
Explorer
Explorer
Since your are coming from the east I second the suggestion to go south until you get to I-10.
2013 Redwood Model 34SK, 2011 F350 4X4 CC Dually

cmsm
Explorer
Explorer
Joe is correct - Flying J no longer has potable water. The RV park in Nephi does. Another overnight option for the trip south is 7 Flags truck stop at exit 31 on I15 in Idaho. They have ~10 pull through rv spots, with power - free if you buy fuel.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
cmsm wrote:
We had filled our fresh water tank at the Flying J in Nephi
Potable water at a Flying J? That's new.

cmsm
Explorer
Explorer
We have done Calgary to Arizona quite a few times since 2001. In January you need 3 days of clear weather. I15 is well maintained. If there is snow they generally have it cleared within a couple days.
We always leave I15 at Boulder MT and do highways 69 & 41 to Dillon, Mt. This lets you miss 2 of the passes on I15, near Butte. This route is good 2 lane highway, used by lots of semis.
We have always stayed in the RV. There are a few RV parks that stay open year round - Great Falls, MT (Dicks), Dillon, MT (Countryside), Nephi, UT (High Country). You mentioned 89 - it is a nice 2 lane highway. You would leave I15 at Nephi to go south on 89. Definitely do not do highway 14 from I15 to 89 - it gets up to about 9000+ft - not good in January. If you decide to do 89 make sure the weather in southern Utah is clear of snowstorms.

When we did it - Calgary to Dillon is about 9 hours. Our second day would be Dillon to St. George - about 11 hours. We did 89 from Nephi once - it took about 12 hours from Dillon to Page, AZ. We pulled into Page after dark and just stayed in the Walmart parking lot. We had filled our fresh water tank at the Flying J in Nephi, so we were okay with dry camping for the night. The water system was winterized when we left Calgary, but DH had blown the RV antifreeze out of the system so it was easier to dewinterize once we got far enough south. We used rv antifreeze for the toilet and carried a 5 gallon container of water.

As others have said, monitor the weather forecast closely and be prepared to delay leaving for a couple days until you have a clear weather window. Travel safe and enjoy snowbirding.

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
We did that trip several years. Left Montana on January 2, stayed in motels at Idaho Falls and Nephi, UT then dewinterized around St. George,UT on the third day. We watched weather reports for a week or so before leaving then picked a time we thought we had 2 clear days. Saw lots of snowbirds on the same route.

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies .
pops49

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
We do the southern Ontario to Florida dash.
We check the weather online for the entire trip route starting about 10 days before our planned departure date. 2 winters ago we left 2 days earlier than planned and missed the bad weather. One of the benefits of being retired.
Plot out your route and pick a couple major cities along the route and check the weather ahead of time, remembering that forecasts can be wrong a lot of the time!
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use the pink stuff to flush the toilet and bottled water. Travel in January can be the pits but it makes arriving in Arizona that much more pleasant.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
Any comments on the Rte, 89 and 15 on the way down ? What are they like that time of the year? For sure if we have to we will hole up as necessary . Thanks again
Alan

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Head straight south and eventually get on I-10 to get into New Mexico/Arizona. Don't take I-40 in winter.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel