cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whitewater Draw, Az

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Plan to be there midwinter and wondering what our chances are to get a camping spot. Saw a Youtube Video and it looked packed.
6 REPLIES 6

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Camping is very limited and is on a first come first serve basis. Occupancy is also based on bird migration. The more migration the more people visiting. Since there is a 3 day stay limit, turnover is quick. The camping area is nothing but what looks like a parking area so look for the "Overnight Camping Permitted" sign. Don't be surprised if many spots are taken by day visitors who clear out after dusk.

I would suggest if you have never been to WWD, call the Arizona Dept of Fish and Game's office and they can give you some advice as to busy period and such.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the overflow parking is ~1.1 mile north off Coffman road and is called the "Sportsman Access"
Plug these coordinates into Google maps and look at the satellite view:
31.576579, -109.716533
It would just be a spot to dump the rig and then drive in (there is quite a bit of non-RV parking available at Whitewater Draw).

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If your purpose is birding I'd highly recommend you try to take in some of the field trips with the bird festival at that time. That area has many interesting birds other than the cranes and the guides are very knowledgeable.

http://www.wingsoverwillcox.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, that's the same place. I saw the video and it just showed a very dusty parking lot so knowing there may be an overflow area would be great to know. I think we will be there just about late Jan or early Feb. Again, thank you both

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
It's more of a "parking" spot than a "camping" spot.
There is some room along the access road if the loop is filled. And, I think there is an overflow parking area a short distance away. The area is popular in the mornings and evenings, so you may have the best success around noon when the birds are less active (gone) and on weekdays. Have fun.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.... I believe they only allow a few campers with a short time limit. It's a gathering place for sandhill crane watchers in January/February. There's a bird festival in January and that's when the area will be crowded. Many day visitors park at Whitewater but leave at night. That's the area I'm thinking of anyway. Perhaps you have a different spot in mind. We've stayed in Benson and made day trips there and to Chiricahua Nat'l Monument - a must see if in the area. Don't forget a trip to Bisbee, Tombstone and Kartchner Caverns for an awesome cave tour. We gave it!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel