cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Do You Do With Your Dog

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for some ideas as to what people do with their dogs if they want to go some where for the day that the dog can't go along or a long bike ride etc. Just looking to cover all bases for next snowbird season.

Thanx
24 REPLIES 24

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is getting old and freaks out when I leave her so if anyone is staying in camp when we go riding I just put her on a long leash attached to the trailer with water and she's good. Leave her inside and she barks till I return.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours in the RV and make sure there's "white noise" to keep him from hearing and greeting the person that wanders thru the site believing nobody's home. The AC is on with the fan running and either a TV or iPod docked and playing his favorite tunes. I think he likes it when we're not there
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had one dog that would eat the blind so he could see out, and then go lay down and go to sleep. I miss that stubborn clown.
Puma 30RKSS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
I just wish the folks next to us would think to shut their blinds when they leave. The yap dogs are rapid I am sure. Ever see one literally climb up a glass window?

God, they never shut up. All day long.

Have you complained to management?

You have every right to a relatively quiet day.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish the folks next to us would think to shut their blinds when they leave. The yap dogs are rapid I am sure. Ever see one literally climb up a glass window?

God, they never shut up. All day long.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
We make sure they've been out before we leave for any extended stay of say 5 hours or less. If we intend on being out longer then that we have friends who know our pups well to take them out for us. We always leave the a/c running to keep them comfortable if the temps are high and of course the heat on if it's cold. They love all the attention they can get. Of course we return the favor to our friends that have pets if they intend to be gone for any extended time as well.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

Notthru2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been fortunate to park next to some very well mannered dogs over the years. But, in all honesty, far too many who believe their dogs have been "trained not to bark when we are gone" are wrong and leaving them behind to annoy those remaining in the campground. Please be sure your dog is really capable of being quiet while you are gone, or don't leave them. The world will be a far better place when we all care enough about others to put our own shopping cart away. And that lesson applies to how we care for our dogs. Thanks!
2007 GMC 2500HD Classic, D/A, B&W Companion
2020 KZ Durango 5th Wheel 283RLT HT

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We put them in the RV and leave the radio on. We let neighbours know if we will be gone for more than a couple hours. How long we leave them depends on the dog. 8 hours wasn't a problem for a young dog. 4 hours was a stretch for ours when they got old.

We NEVER close up the unit and put on the AC. If there is a power failure they could roast fairly quickly in hot enviroments. Instead we open a window at either end (ON THE SHADY SIDE) and set the fantastic fans to come on at 60 degrees celcius. Whatever the temperature outside is that's what the inside temperature will be inside plus or minus. Two fantastic fans will change out all the air in a 40 foot motorhome every 10 minutes or so. They are 12 volt so even if the power goes out they just keep running. If it gets much over a 100 we put them in a kennel if we have to leave them.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have boarded my dog at the vet if I wanted to do a day trip (or longer).

If you consider going this route, then you might talk with your home vet about what THEY require for a dog that is boarded there. For example, my dog needed to be vaccinated for 'kennel cough' (in addition to the normal Rabies) before she could be boarded. But it's probably a good idea to get vaccinated for Kennel Cough in any event I think.

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
We have workamped at parks that have someone who will walk, feed and water the dog if the owners are gone all day to even overnight. Just have to ask the campground when thinking of making reservation.

bigdogger
Explorer
Explorer
A park we stay at every summer had a pet sitting and walking service for several years. They dropped two years ago due to an employee suffering a serious injury (fell off the stairs and broke their ankle) attempting to stop a dog that shot out of the RV door when they were entering the rig to walk it. Though it eventually turned out fairly well, the employee suffered a permanent injury, the pup was finally captured 8 hours later and was extremely scared and also suffering from injuries. There was the potential for lawsuits against both the park and the people that owned the dog. Lots of stress, tension and potential ill will was created, along with the permanent injury. Just keep the risks in mind if you have someone unknown to you watching your pet. BTW, the dog was a toy poodle, not a large or vicious dog of any kind.

We too leave our Lab in the trailer with no worries.. a few years ago we visited Cherry Hill Campground in DC.. While checking in we noticed a flyer for dog sitting services from someone inside the park.. What a great idea!!! We knocked on their door ,they came over and met us and the dog ,they walked her a few times that day , fed her and played with her... All for a very reasonable fee...( I forget the actual fee) .. If that is not available , just make sure they are comfortable , just like at home..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We had leave our dogs alone 12-14 hours per day when we worked.

Now that we are retired no more. We leave the dogs for a maximum of 6 hours.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
our yorkie stays in tt with a/c he is trained to piddle pads we ask our neighbors to keep an eye on things while we are gone they will sometimes ask if they can walk him just be careful