cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Were to go to lunch in Algodones, Mexico?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of months ago I post a topic on any reason to cross over from Yuma to Mexico. Got lot of suggestions about teeth, prescriptions, etc.

Now we want specific suggestions on places to have lunch or shop.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
23 REPLIES 23

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Gruffy wrote:
Tried La Parailla the other day. Open air courtyard .... turn left at the purple pharmacy go past Parisio and up the hill..... good drinks, good music. We didn't try the food ..... but next time.
We ate there the other day....was very good. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Texan wrote:
hobo wrote:
The best place to eat in Yuma is La Fonda. Go there for lunch. It is on the back side of Goodwill. You will not be sorry
Hobo

Well, I located it and I will agree, it is an awesome place to eat and the service was suburb. Even got to meet the owner and her daughter, what great people. Will recommend this Mexican restaurant to anyone that like authentic Mexican food.

OP here. We've eaten at La Fonda twice while in Yuma. Got to agree. Excellent food. Also ate at El Charo. Owned by the same family since the 40s. Could not believe the tamale. It was huge and the filling was to best I've tasted. And it was topped with a meat based sauce. Both places were packed with a mix of locals and snowbirds leaning more towards locals. Both restaurants are good examples of Sonorian Mexican food. Not spicy but very good flavor.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Gruffy wrote:
Tried La Parailla the other day. Open air courtyard .... turn left at the purple pharmacy go past Parisio and up the hill..... good drinks, good music. We didn't try the food ..... but next time.
Their guacamole and salsa is good, but we also have not tried the food. Many folks go there just for their food though. Our dentist is next door, so will try the food this spring, before we leave.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer

Sorry ...I messed up .... turn left one block after the Purple Pharmacy ... Avendia B .. The second cross street in. You pass on the block BEHIND Parisio.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
hobo wrote:
The best place to eat in Yuma is La Fonda. Go there for lunch. It is on the back side of Goodwill. You will not be sorry
Hobo

Well, I located it and I will agree, it is an awesome place to eat and the service was suburb. Even got to meet the owner and her daughter, what great people. Will recommend this Mexican restaurant to anyone that like authentic Mexican food.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Anything you eat there you want to be sure you can see it being cooked, remember they do not have any health standards to meet over there so if you can't see the kitchen who knows how clean the kitchen is they cooked your meal in.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
hobo wrote:
Hobo
Which Goodwill? There are several in Yuma.

hobo
Explorer
Explorer
Hobo

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
True Mexican food is NOT exciting, just very bland. The spicy Mexican food is a product of the United States, not Mexico.

LOL, that's exactly true. When people come to visit us they always want some real Mexican food expecting the Taco Bell taste. Farthest thing from the truth.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the past 9 years we have eaten at the restaurant right across from where everyone lines up to get back across the border. The food is pretty good and so are the drinks. Sure beats standing in line for a few hours. By the time we eat our dinner the line is usually gone, around 6:30.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
We had a pretty good lunch. Which I could tell you the name, but it was buried in one of those alley areas. It did include a free beer!

But we had a horrible nearly 2 hour wait to get back over the border. No food or deal on anything is worth that for us...
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gruffy wrote:
Go over, get your feet wet. Best food is street vendors two or three streets in who feed Mexicans and not Gringos.

We're not new to Mexico. Some of our best food has been street food. Don't mind being the only Gringo in the restaurant. We've gotten sick more times in the US than in Mexico.

Our passports have been stamped almost 30 times by Mexican immigration. Just never been across at Yuma. Don't want to waste money on mediocre food in the USA or Mexico. I just figure those who've traveled before me can give me the best information.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
We LOVE the fish/shrimp tacos at the outdoor vendor. He's kinda tucked in one of the buildings on the right. I LOVE LOVE the nachos at El Presidio (?is that the name?). It's a big courtyard, outside seating and if you're lucky, they have music playing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Seriously, I've eaten there NUMEROUS times and have never gotten sick. And come to think of it, I HAVE gotten sick off food in the USA.

I think that the place you are describing is EL Pariso - approximately across the street from the Rubio Dental Group.
El Pariso has a huge patio area not visible from the street and must feed thousands of Americans and Canadians on a weekly basis.
Their food is okay.

Best food is a street vendor on the same street closer to the Rubio Group. He sets up his cart around noonish.
Believe me, if anyone got sick from his cart, he wouldn't last long as a business.
Only problem with him is no beer.

Wife found El Pariso while cruising the Internet. Street vendor sounds better to me.
2018 Rubicon
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
amandasgramma wrote:
We LOVE the fish/shrimp tacos at the outdoor vendor. He's kinda tucked in one of the buildings on the right. I LOVE LOVE the nachos at El Presidio (?is that the name?). It's a big courtyard, outside seating and if you're lucky, they have music playing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Seriously, I've eaten there NUMEROUS times and have never gotten sick. And come to think of it, I HAVE gotten sick off food in the USA.

I think that the place you are describing is EL Pariso - approximately across the street from the Rubio Dental Group.
El Pariso has a huge patio area not visible from the street and must feed thousands of Americans and Canadians on a weekly basis.
Their food is okay.

Best food is a street vendor on the same street closer to the Rubio Group. He sets up his cart around noonish.
Believe me, if anyone got sick from his cart, he wouldn't last long as a business.
Only problem with him is no beer.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats