cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington State

KO
Explorer
Explorer
Putting my summer trip together. I am planning on departing Tampa Fl (around July 4th) and heading out to the Northwest, specifically Washington State.

I will have our 12-year-old grandson. His parents will fly out to meet us and then do their thing in a rental vehicle and then fly back to Tampa. We will probably have around two - two and a half weeks of sightseeing.

Looking for ideas on where to go and stay. Not interested in Seattle.

When we return to Tampa, it will be thru Minnesota as we must be there for a grandson's birthday. Looking at taking 20 on the return trip.

Thanks...
40 REPLIES 40

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only places I would add to the good suggestions you have already received is Cape Flattery in the north western corner of Wa it was beautiful saw seals swimming in and out of caves. You can also see Canada from there. Also enjoyed the CG's right on the beach in Olympic NP. I thought the over flow CG was better. Saw Orcas, Seals, Humpback whales and a Great while shark chasing a baby Humpback. Lots of driftwood along the shore. Hiking was nice, the water was very cold to swim in GS and I did not stay in long. I thought WA was one of the prettiest states we visited.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
You can take a day cruise of the San Juans without your vehicle. A lot more affordable as a passenger.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
What about the Palouse Falls park, that's on my list for summer.
Very definitely worth a stop. Since there was no host, I ended up in the host site (full hookups) for a couple of days. The only problem with the site is I became a host - tough when you don't know much about the area! The designated sites are for small Class B or tents, but there is a large parking lot next to the host site that provides dry camping space. It has been awhile since I visited - 2014, so things may have changed.

As to summer - it may be hot. I was there in May and it was warm, some friends hit it in July & it was in the 100's. More photos.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
S Davis wrote:
Deception Pass state park would be good for a few days, you would be about 15 minutes from the San Juan Island ferry. A ferry trip or whale watching trip to see the resident Orcas.

https://parks.state.wa.us/497/Deception-Pass

Great way to enjoy the San Juan's by ferry, with reasonable cost. While camping in the San Juan's is enjoyable the ride to get there is expensive.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Deception Pass state park would be good for a few days, you would be about 15 minutes from the San Juan Island ferry. A ferry trip or whale watching trip to see the resident Orcas.

https://parks.state.wa.us/497/Deception-Pass

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on being there the middle of August, the International Kite Festival in Long Beach, WA is a must see in our opinion. You can check out our blog entry from when we were there in 2016 if you like. It may be too late to get reservations but it doesn't hurt to try. We stayed at Andersens Oceanside RV Park & Campground when we visited and found it very nice.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Palouse Falls has a small camp area. The gravel road into park area is quite often very rough. There is a KOA at Lyons Ferry Marina that is a few miles away. Watch the roadas WA sr 127 has steep down grade south bound! It would be better for a day trip!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your GS will love the Astoria Maritime Museum and learn about the 270+ MAJOR ship wrecks due to the Columbia bar and weather and much more. And right there is the $2 waterfront trolley. And the Bow Picker - great fish and chips. And he will enjoy launching a paper plane from the Column. Lewis and Clark fort. Ft Stevens - fantastic, take a kayak tour on the sand dune made lake - very unique and much more.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about the Palouse Falls park, that's on my list for summer.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Y-Guy
So much to see and do.
For Mountain camping I would suggest Lake Wenatchee area. San Juan Island is great, but ferry costs can scorch your budget fast. Grand Coulee Dam great, specifically Steamboat Rock State Park is very nice, but this area can get very hot in the summer and it's a lot more fun with a boat.

I would also second Fort Stevens in Oregon, large campground near the mouth of the Columbia.

Any campground in Oregon & Washington you want to start reserving asap.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
What ever you dicide to do, if you want to stay in State Parks make your reservations NOW!
Even now, the better spots or even just sites with utilities will probably be booked solid.
We have to make all our reservations 9 months in advance.

Hope you enjoy our state!

Scott

This^^ - for both state parks and privately owned parks. The PNW is gorgeous - which is why everyone and their mother's uncle wants to be there in the summer.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We really like Astoria and Ft Stevens CG, OR which gets you at the mouth of the Columbia River. And there is more along the Columbia River.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2scootn
Explorer
Explorer
All great suggestions on where to go and what to do.

I would also recommend Mt St Helens - Taidnapam campground is a nice place to stay and you can drive up to the overlook and see where the mountain blew out and down into Spirit Lake. The trees were blown over like matchsticks.

Olympic peninsula is another favorite - Port Townsend is a Victorian town and Fort Worden is where they filmed An Officer and a Gentleman, nice campground but does fill up fast. Fort Flagler is another campground nearby on Marrowstone Island. If both are booked, the Port Ludlow campground is also very nice. Chimacum (Finn River Cider is excellent there), Poulsbo (Sluy's Bakery is legendary), Hood Canal (Hama Hama Oyster Saloon), Port Gamble (old logging town, neat shops and haunted) - all in the same area.

Taking Hwy 20 back you could take the ferry from Port Townsend over to Whidbey Island and go that way (also a beautiful place to visit) and see Deception Pass. Anacortes is there (along with a couple of campgrounds) and you could take a ferry to the San Juan's. Winthrop is along that Hwy 20 route as someone mentioned already - also a neat town.

Have a fabulous trip and safe travels!

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Yes, everyone should avoid the Wa. state parks at all cost.
- And thank you.

You're most welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, everyone should avoid the Wa. state parks at all cost.
- And thank you.