cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very strange occurance

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE camped 3 days at Needle Creek Reservoir in CO near Gunnison. Not recommended by the way. We were camped on a bluff 25 or 30 above the reservoir and last night we were awakened by LOTS of red flashing lights and a number of people walking around the water with flashlights and calling someone's name.
You guessed it someone drowned. Or at least it seems that way, they gave up around 4 AM and the divers were out this morning at 9 or so. We left for Grand Junction shortly there after. I didn't want to be that noisy bystander so I did not go ask questions. I thought seriously about joining the searchers but I didn't bring any powerful flashlights and was worried about needing rescue myself if I did.
There is a large and I do mean large tent at the other end of the lake and we heard a lot of "Yahooing" and either firecrackers or gunfire down there earlier. Have no idea why they were searching our end of the lake.

OK for the not recommended:
1) There is a long 15 mile or so dirst road that progressively gets much worse to get there.
2) There are maybe 5 or 6 RV spots
3) Only two are on the lake, sort of. At least you can see the lake.
4) We got an inch or so of rain yesterday and the last 3 miles of the road were converted to very slippery gumbo. There are drop offs on that section of road of 30-50 feet too.
5) There are a couple of squeeze setions on the section of road, one a very tight cattle crossing with a turn right after it. And the other a hairpin turn with a drop off in the center.
I would not try taking anything longer than our 30 ft TT back there.

And after all this there are only a few spots to be had and we got the last RV spot on Thursday afternoon around 2 PM.

One the good side:
1) It is scenic, our spot number 4 was anyway.
2) It is dead quiet at night
3) There must be good fishing, looked like trout.
4) There are trails for ORV and foot.
5) It is cool about 75 day 40's at night.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
5 REPLIES 5

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus, Thatโ€™s what RVโ€™ing is supposed to look like! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I finally processed some photos:

Site number 4

Sheriffs Dive team
Superbumper

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus, An old friend of mine often said, โ€œIf youโ€™re not standing on the edge....youโ€™re taking up too much roomโ€! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is except for the uncertainty of driving 20 miles from Gunnison on Hwy 50 then the long dirt road. Only to find the 6 spots taken. They seems to be catching trout or at least a trout looking fish. GPS 38.353685, -106.557284. We didn't bring fishing gear.

Most of that dirt road is what I call high speed western gravel, every turn is clearly marked Needle Creek Reservoir with an arrow. It's only the last three miles that are more difficult. And a warning, site 6 is the last reliable turn around. There is a big site 7 off to the right but it had 4 vehicles and three or four tents in it. The turn around was not so easy but the folks there were very helpful. There is a gate going left from #6 and no more spots we did not explore that way.

The six spots are very far apart. a few hundred feet minimum. Oh and did I mention a creek crossing? No problem for a truck. Water was maybe a foot deep after the rainstorm.
Superbumper

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a pretty nice place, though perhaps.....not for the โ€œtimid soulโ€! It could possibly be the definition of good boondocking! Remote, pretty scenery, solitude ( mostly), cool summer days/nights, and good fishing! Many would be envious! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl